Senior Breakfast Club

Location: Mary Hartwell Catherwood Apartments
Date: Saturday, May 3, 2014; 9:00 am-12:00 pm

Sandy's famous banana bread
Most of my visits for this program have been during winter and the walk from the train station has always been a perilous proposition.  So it was pleasant to be able to do so when the streets were clean and sidewalks visible.  I arrived to find the regulars doing the same things that I had been accustomed to seeing.  As usual, Sandy had brought something with her and this time it was her famous banana bread.  As I had done previously, I set about the task of cutting the banana bread into 8 pieces.  I had learned the technique of cutting in halves and implemented that to prepare portions for distribution to the residents.  I chatted with one of the new volunteers and learned that she worked in a Sushi restaurant. I mentioned that a sushi chef’s caliber is usually measured by the uniformity of the width of each cut piece of the roll. Looking at what I had done with the banana bread, there was no risk of me being employed as a sushi chef any time soon!

Sandy was sporting a new, shorter haircut and she said that she had cut her hair to support ‘St. Baldrick’s Foundation’, which funds pediatric cancer research.  She said that her friend’s son was raising money and she had promised him that she would shave her head if he met his goal.  He had accomplished that, and she had happily obliged.  To those of us who know her, it was not a surprise that she should do so.  I went around with the new volunteer to serve the banana bread to the residents.  One lady asked if there were nuts in there and was happy when we reported that there weren't any.  As we went around for seconds, one gentleman started rubbing his tummy and said no.  I nodded as he continued laughing at his own joke.  It wasn’t just him; everyone seemed to be in a good mood.

Another of the volunteers that I had not seen before had taken this cooking project way too seriously and had brought his own knives.  He had also brought some pastry from a place called ‘Dinkles’, which is apparently quite famous.  We had apple pie and a cream coffee cake.  As I went around distributing it, only a few requested specific items, the rest just happy to have so many treats.  One gentleman was visiting from the adjacent building and said that he should move to this one if such was going to be the service.  The breakfast was now ready and for once, instead of being a runner, I was going to be serving - scrambled eggs at that.  This also meant that the serving size was a bit more subjective, unlike others who could give out 2 pieces of sausages or 1 biscuit.

With our fast moving line, everyone was served fast and soon we were ready to start the clean-up.  Once again as a first, I would not be washing the dishes, but rather be helping out at Bingo.  I took a seat with a group of ladies and we began.  Right from the beginning, our table was hot and we were continuously winning. So much so that one of the women at our table had to start giving her prizes away.  There were calls for her to buy a lottery ticket, though I said that it was all because of me!  She was a bit of a chatterbox and despite winning a lot; she was complaining that her Bingo card was getting stuck very often.  When I went and got her a new one, she didn't like the color.  Oh, well who was I to argue with a winner!  She did say that she should play the lottery and always referred to her birthday when that number came up.  I said that perhaps she should use her birthday number to play and she agreed.  But she truly was a character and even took to yelling out a number when it was called, not just when she had Bingo.

Everyone at my table had won except one lady, but she was still in great spirits.  All the prizes had soon been distributed including the “coverall” cash prize, donated by a volunteer.  We wrapped up and I chatted with Sandy before leaving.  She said that she would add us to the list for the next session.  It’s amazing that we meet just once a month – in my case longer than that – but we feel like we know each other so well.  And the residents treat Sandy like family. For us the volunteers, it’s almost an identical feeling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment