Cook And Serve Brunch To Mom’s And Children At Homeless Shelter On Mother’s Day

Location: San Jose Obrero Mission
Date: Sunday, May 11, 2014; 10:00 am-12:45 pm

‘Mother’s Day 2013’ had been a Super Sunday with 3 projects and while I was not looking to duplicate that, I did want to do something.  Wilson mentioned that he was working on setting up a project which was specially tailored towards moms in a homeless shelter.  As soon as it appeared on the ‘Meetup’ calendar, I signed up within minutes.  I had been to a project at this shelter more than a year ago, but had not returned back owing to the distance that I would have to travel.  However, today it would not be a problem and so I took the long train ride and arrived just before 10 am.  After checking-in, I was directed to the kitchen and the dining area, where another volunteer was waiting.  But there was no sign of Wilson, which was strange since it was 10 am and he is usually the first to arrive.  We continued to wait and now it was 10:15, with still no sign of Wilson or any other volunteers.  I spent my time reading things posted on the wall, most of which were regarding health protocols for food storage.  Other notices were for activities during the month of May and there were many as relates to entertainment.  This is a shelter for women escaping domestic violence and to be eligible, she needs to either be pregnant or have a child.  Thus entertainment is extremely critical, since the last thing you want in this situation is a dour environment.  Wilson had borrowed my giant projection screen for “movie night” at shelters and senior homes and I wondered if it was going to make it to this place for one such evening.

It was a special day
Finally I got a call from Wilson who said that he was on his way with the supplies, but asked me to start chopping some Cantaloupe from the pantry.  Well, that would be a first for me and I while I got the said fruit into the kitchen, thankfully a new volunteer who had joined us, took over the chopping duties.  Wilson arrived and he needed help in getting stuff from his car.  I went outside and noticed that it was a different one.  He said something about it being a rental and an accident and a funny story.  Well, “funny” and “accident” usually do not go together, but at least he saw it that way.  Amongst the things that we carried inside, there was a ‘George Foreman Grill’ and Wilson said that we would be making burgers.  The other things on the menu were bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, green & fruit salad and pizza.  That was definitely a menu worthy of the occasion!  Wilson said that this was what had been requested and he was just trying to fulfil their wishes. 

I paired up with the volunteer who had been chopping the cantaloupe and our task was to make the fruit salad, which included Watermelons.  Before we commenced, Wilson mentioned that we should wash the outside since it could carry Salmonella.  He said that as you sliced through it, the knife could drag the germs through inside, those causing contamination.  This was something that I would never have thought about, but it made sense.  I have never liked watermelon.  Growing up, my parents used to always have it at home, but I always considered it nothing but flavored water that you have to chew.  And I use the term “flavored” generously.  A couple of years ago I did a week long program with a friend and first day’s diet was just melons. I had bought a tub of mixed melons, which unfortunately meant that there were watermelons involved. I managed to get through that day, but now I was going to have to cut it, a task I had never done before.  My fellow volunteer was trying to show me how to cube, but I was having my own struggles.  Then she pointed out some that I had cut and which were far from the perfect cubes that were desired.  I had a good mind to tell her that she was welcome to do it all by herself, though she was just trying to help and was not being mean in any way.  But I had a headache, which was growing by the minute and which made me grumpy as well.  But I still had a good conversation with her, especially when she told me about some of the best sandwich places in the city.  I may dislike watermelons, but I do enjoy a good sandwich. 

By now two other volunteers had arrived and they started on the burgers, which promptly set off the fire alarm.  Along with that they were also making pancakes and pizza.  While all of this multitasking was going on, I was still struggling with the blasted watermelon.  Another volunteer came in with her two young daughters, which I felt was appropriate, considering that it was ‘Mother’s Day’ after all.  The residents and their kids had started assembling in the dining area and Wilson sent the two girls to work with those kids on greeting cards.  I must say that of all of his inspired ideas, this one was fantastic and one of the rare times that I had seen kids volunteering with other children. 

The fruit salad
I was finally done with the watermelon and had moved on to Pears, Apples and Bananas – again, not my favorite food items.  I chopped the pears and as soon as I did that, my fellow volunteer pointed out that we should remove the skin.  At this stage my headache was getting worse and even though I wanted to argue, I knew that she was right.  If there is one thing that I dislike more that pears and apples, it is unpeeled pears and apples.  I started removing the skin of the chopped up pieces and after finishing that painful part, moved on to something that I actually liked – Strawberries.  We finished adding them, as well as Grapes, and were finally done with the fruit salad.  Around us the others were working frantically to get the brunch ready on time,  Wilson, in his hurry, dropped a pizza on the floor as he tried to move it from one oven to another, but at least we were trying to get the food out to our guests.

I took the trash out through the back and then came back to help carry the food out to the dining area, which was now quite full.  There were 4 types of juices and I went about asking the guests which one they wanted.  Of course, there were requests for all sorts and from all corners, meaning I was kept busy till all of the food was brought out.  Besides all of the food that we had made, many volunteers had brought desserts, and so there was a nice spread.  The cards which the kids had been making were on display and the entire place had the feel of a festive occasion; which was exactly what we had been aiming for.

We started serving the guests based on what they wanted and for the next few minutes I was bringing them either burgers, pizza or pancakes.  All this while my headache persisted and I told Wilson that while I should stay to help clean-up, I had to leave.  I left through the back exit but not before watching the residents having a nice meal and enjoying themselves.  I hope we had made the day special for them, though I felt that my contribution had been minimal.  But I had met some nice people, not the least my fellow volunteer who had told me about the finer points of chopping fruits.  While I hope to see her at other projects, I will be very happy to go through life without having to deal with another watermelon!

No comments:

Post a Comment