On Every Street - At 300

My very last post of 2013 was the 200th one under this banner and now, 10 months later, we are at 300.  I have been lax in my posts and am currently running 5 months behind, currently writing about my experiences from May.  A lot has happened since Number 200 and a lot has happened since May.  It seems that nowadays people get almost all of their updates through social media and so for anyone who’s been wondering about my life since May; those details will be forthcoming soon!  One thing that I can report is me receiving the ‘President’s Volunteer Service Award’. 

My certificate
Now, before we go about throwing parades in my honor, let me point out that it is common for volunteers to be eligible for this.  You just have to apply for it.  ‘One Brick’ does that on behalf of its volunteers and with well over 150 hours with the organization last year, I was one of the few who were in the list that had been submitted.  Since the beginning of the year, the only projects that I had done with ‘One Brick’ had been gala events and I had my fill of those. This means that I have not done a project with them for a long time and there is no chance of me repeating for 2014.  However, when I heard that I was indeed a recipient of this award, I was delighted.  People usually say that true satisfaction is in doing the deed and if one’s aim is to win an award, then it defeats the purpose.  Yes, that’s true.  But I for one am always excited when it comes to awards; and not just for me.  I believe that an official recognition, especially for something like this, should be celebrated because it shows that people are raising their hand to serve our community.  When others see an award like this, they ask questions and eventually many get involved.  So yes, I am proud of this honor as I am of my nomination as Volunteer of the year through ‘Chicago Cares’.  The latter was even more special since I had been nominated by my peers.

Over the last 100 posts we went through the holiday season, a time that I have always considered to be magical.  As with last year, the start was with Macy’s Believe Campaign for Make A Wish, my favorite project if there ever is one.  I had been waiting for the opportunity to once again collect ‘Letters to Santa’ from the ‘Macy’s Water Tower’ location.  As I followed my usual routine of going there on weekends to gather the letters, sort them, and then finally deliver to ‘Make A Wish’, I was struck by people’s generosity of spirit – and I don’t just mean the dollar that each letter raises for the organization.  I am convinced that the holidays reveal the best in everyone and messages on those letters are evidence that we all have the ability to be good.  All it takes is a willingness to reach out to help…or to ask for it, sometimes a more difficult thing to do. 

I had grown up watching parades, without ever in my wildest dreams expecting to be a part of one.  But an opportunity presented itself at the McDonald's Thanksgiving Day Parade, where I was one of the people who were the balloon carriers – ‘Madeline’ to be precise.  Yes, it was an extremely cold day and yes, I was miserable for most parts leading up to the actual walk in the parade.  However, as soon as I was on the path and amongst the hundreds of cheering spectators, a familiar feeling of pride came over me – not because I was doing it, but because I was part of this Thanksgiving Day tradition.  I had said in my post that if there was ever an occasion regarding which I could tell stories to my grandchildren, this was it.  I carried a balloon in Chicago’s Thanksgiving Day parade.  How cool is that!

Another holiday event that left its mark was the Chicago Cares Goes Caroling project.  If walking in a parade was one of the things that I thought I would never do, singing in public was close second.  But Wilson got a group of us together and we visited two senior housing facilities and ‘Lakeview Nursing’, at each location entertaining the residents with 'Christmas Carols' – something that I never get tired of hearing during the month of December.  I would be spending Christmas with my friends, who are like family.  But for most of the residents, the holidays would be a lonely one…where the only companionship will be with each other.  So to come in and for a brief moment and brighten their day with these carols, was a humbling experience like none other; and definitely one of the highlights of my holiday season.

Since then there have been other projects, some regular, while some like my visit to the Boston Marathon, have been a fulfillment of a promise to myself.  No matter where my travels have led me, there has been one constant – the people that I have met.  Time and again I have come across individuals that have left a deep impression on me – an indelible mark that inspires me to be a better person.  There are days when it is a challenge.  But that inspiration is a constant reminder which is frequently reoccurring, and something that I am grateful for.  A recent loss in my life has reinforced the importance of not taking any person…any moment for granted.  And to live life to the fullest, for there are miracles to be found everywhere…on every street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment