Bingo Fun At Britton Budd

Location: Britton/Budd Apartments
Date: Monday, June 09, 2014; 6:15 -7:30 pm

I was in a good mood.  My friend had been promoted and there’s nothing better than someone’s hard work being rewarded, especially when it’s one of your own.  So with a proverbial skip in my step and the proverbial song in my heart, I arrived at the site and as I checked in with the security, even got my own entry pass sticker.  Another high security senior center!  I went into the activity room and found that one of my favorite residents, Elvina was reviewing the large stack of Bingo cards as if it was the ‘Zapruder Film’.  She was going to get the exact numbers that she wanted and after an extensive search, she sat down at a table satisfied with her selection.  I joined her and another resident, Sylvia.

Prizes for this evening
I asked Elvina if she was enjoying the weather and she said that she had gone out in a skirt for the first time this season yesterday and found the temperature to be freezing.  I said that’s a shame since she definitely would have looked great in a skirt!  Sylvia pulled out a massive smart phone which looked more sophisticated than mine.  Elvina said that they should have that as a prize and maybe someday that’s what Chicago Cares would do to surprise the residents.  Speaking of Chicago Cares, Elvina said that she saw the ‘Serve-a-thon’ rally on TV.  I said that I was there, at which both of them thanked me and others at Chicago Cares for what we do.

I asked what they would typically do after the Bingo game and they said that there was nothing good on the TV tonight.  Elvina said that she may catch ‘Wheel of Fortune’, though she was getting interested in basketball.  I said that there was one week left in the season and so she better watch as much as she can.  Sylvia said that tomorrow was the first episode of a new season of some show that I had never heard of.  She described it as ‘MacGyver’ meeting a medical drama, about a doctor who uses whatever tools are at his disposal to treat patients. They were encouraging me to start watching, but being in its 8th season means that I have missed a lot.  I told them that starting on a new show is a whole lot of commitment for me and there there is added pressure to stick with it!

In the meanwhile the game was about to start and Elvina was not happy with the quality of her Bingo cards.  They had been replaced just last year but were already falling apart.  I said that I would get her better ones and she said that she wanted the number ‘9’ on it.  Then she wanted the number ‘8’ on the other one.  Aah, the superstitions.  Sylvia had a favorite number as well – ‘4’ – but would take whatever is available.  We made decent progress on the first game and I even told Elvina that I had a good day and we would definitely win.  Well, win I did and asked Elvina to select a prize and she took hand soap.  It’s always tricky to select which of the residents would get my winnings and I mentioned to Sylvia that she would be next.  This is one of those places where everyone wins and they are really nice to give their prizes away the second time around.  So after Sylvia had won and I won my second round, both Elvina and Sylvia wanted me to give away the prize and I selected a lady on the next table.  In fact one of the ladies had come late after everyone had won and so someone offered her a prize.  She said that she shouldn't since she was late, but everyone insisted.  What a crowd! 

Veronica, our Volunteer leader asked if I wanted to call the game.  I asked Elvina if I should stay – since I was proving to be lucky – or go as the caller.  She replied by saying that she did not wish to be selfish and wanted to share me with everyone.  That may be the sweetest thing that I have ever been told.  I started in my best “baritone voice” by wishing everyone a good evening and then spun the hamster wheel, while trying to calculate the probability of getting a number.  Yeah, I do need a life. Prizes were now disappearing and soon it was time for the last game.  The late comer lady called out and realized that it was a false alarm.  She was really polite and apologized profusely.  Despite me continuing to drop balls we soon handed out the final prize.  I left after saying goodbye to Elvina and Sylvia, thinking the same thing as before: It is an absolute pleasure to spend an evening with these folks, especially Elvina.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment