Birthday Part 3 – Marillac Center Field Trip

Location: Pump It Up
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2014; 4:45-8:00 pm

I had been excited because a buddy had said that he would spend the evening with me to celebrate my birthday.  But it turned out to be a false alarm and so I signed up for this project. I had never been to this after-school center and today was their end-of-the-year field trip to someplace called ‘Pump It Up’.  I had no idea what that was, though the instructions we had received from Chicago Cares the previous day was to wear socks!  Well, there’s always a first time for everything.  I took the train west and it was a neighborhood that I do not always visit.  I arrived at the center to see that Martha from Chicago Cares was waiting outside and as I signed the sheet, I was pleased to see Rocky’s name show up.  He was a volunteer I had met during the very first project that I had led last year and he is a class act if there ever was one.  People are always amazed that I remember names; places and moments from a long ago and my response is that if that person made an impression or if that person or moment is important, you would always remember. 

Then everyone debates

I boarded the bus and saw that some of the kids had already assembled. Soon, the other volunteers arrived and I noticed that our Volunteer leader and some others seemed to be regular and knew the kids well.  The leader said to me and another new volunteer Mary, that rather than sit around we should mingle with the kids.  I responded by saying that this was not the first children’s project that I have done and usually a good leader starts a project with an ice breaker to get the kids and volunteers introduced to each other.  I don’t care how long someone has been leading a project, but if you demonstrate incompetence, the other occasions account for nothing. Yes, I do hold people to the standards I set for myself as a leader.  I overheard one little girl say that yesterday had been her birthday.  I asked how old she was and she had just turned 11.  I said that it was my birthday today and now it was her turn to ask how old I was.  I replied that it was much older than 11 and I was definitely eligible to drive!

The true reality

The best birthday party place
We arrived at ‘Pump It Up’, which is essentially a place with giant inflatables and is quite popular as a rental for kid’s birthday parties.  It was unlikely that families of the kids who were with us had the means to organize parties over here and so today was definitely a special occasion for them.  I walked in with a little girl with 3 ponytails and I asked if she was excited, and she replied in the affirmative.  Before we began, the staff announced that there were 2 rules – everyone would come down the slides feet first and that everyone needed to be wearing socks.  Aah, now it made sense.  We went inside the first room and it had 3 giant inflatable things – a bouncy house, a slide and an obstacle course.  All of the kids were screaming with joy and quickly ran off to one of the 3 play areas.  All except the little girl that I had walked in with.   She was sobbing since she did not have any socks on and so could not join the others.  The staff members mentioned that they did have socks for sale and I was about to get her a pair, when one of the other volunteers came in with socks for her.  Her face lit up with joy and she went up the slide.  I said that I would wait at the bottom to receive her and she had better scream as she came down; something which she dutifully did so.

I'd rather see the world

I went inside the bouncy house and it reminded me of being in a boat with choppy water.  But I soon got my footing and just as a room goes from darkness to light with the flip of a switch, a similar thing happened with me – all the worries and anxieties of the day disappeared.  My heart was filled with a joy that I had not experienced for years and I became one of them.  I played with the kids in the bouncy house and then got challenged by a little girl to a race through the obstacle course.  It was difficult getting though all of it, but I had loads of fun doing it.  I kept getting challenged by various girls and so did the race several times, getting smoked on each occasion.  But I could have cared less.  I was exhausted and decided to take a break, when another little girl asked me to go on the slide with her.  Climbing up to the top was a challenge but once we were up there, she took my hand and we came down together.  I was enjoying myself thoroughly and did a couple more turns on each of the play areas in this room.

The way it used to be

The slide
We were then taken to a second room with an even bigger bouncy house with a basketball court, steeper slides, a wall where you had to run up to put a tag, and a rock climbing wall.  The kids went crazy again and I went inside the bouncy house several times for to try my hand at basketball, once in between a competitive game between 2 teams.  One girl asked me to lift her up so that she could make a basket and while she was little, trying to lift someone up on a moving platform is not easy, and we were both lucky to not end up on our backs!  I went and participated in the tag game, which was a wall of colored Velcro tags and you had to run at full speed, jump up, and post your flag as high as possible.  It was impossible to do this without falling down and that was the fun of it.  Rocky was good at this game and was enjoying it with a group of kids, all of whom were trying to better him.  Some of the other kids were climbing up the rock wall and all in all, everyone was participating wholeheartedly and having a blast.

A little bit of freedom's all we lack

All good things must come to an end and our time was soon up.  We took a group picture and now it was the pizza party.  The kid’s teacher had accompanied us for this outing and she made each kid say what they were thankful for this entire school year.  Everyone had something to say and many picked something that they had learned.  The girl with the ponytails was actually the bus drivers daughter and wasn't usually with this group.  It was nice of the teacher to invite her and when her turn came to say something, she ran in the corner shyly and said, “It’s too many people”.  Man, she was precious.  The teacher made the kid’s say grace and then they dug into the pizza.  I chatted with Rocky while this was going on and soon everyone was ready to leave.  I wasn’t taking the bus back with them and so said goodbye to Rocky and my other fellow volunteers.  It had been a spectacular evening. 

So catch me if you can,

I went and got a glass for champagne for myself and it had indeed been a long day.  Later, as I sat in a restaurant I thought about everything that had happened today…or not happened.  I had just a couple of people wish me and other than the two projects with Wilson, had not seen any friends.  Last year had been special since someone had even made cake for me.  But if I really think about it so had today.  I had seen people who were currently down on their luck, but fighting the battle of life with dignity.  I had met a lady who had overcome her disability to create something truly magical.  And a little girl had held my hand as I went down a slide to have one of the most outstanding experiences of my adult life.  I told the server it was my birthday and asked for a small cake. As I blew out the imaginary candle and made a wish it was clear to me that while the day may not have been filled with presents, it still was a gift.

I'm going back

“Going Back”, written by Gerry Goffin & Carole King, 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment