Birthday Part 2 – Cook And Serve Lunch To Seniors And Community

Location: American Indian Center
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2014; 10:00 am-2:00 pm

I can recall a time
When I wasn't ashamed to reach out to a friend

Wilson drove me to my next location, which was going to be the same as last year; the ‘American Indian Center’.  As I have said before, I like symmetry and it would be a good thing to go back after a year.  I had some time to spare and so went to a French bakery in the neighborhood and contemplated on all things that one usually contemplates on at birthdays.  Wilson had left for another project, but I got a text from him saying that the leader at 'AIC' was not well and so he was coming back to help out.  Well, looks like I was doing another project with him then.

And, now, I think I've got
A lot more than just my toys to lend

The magnificent murals of 'AIC' 
I walked over to 'AIC' and entered the building exactly a year after my last visit.  I knew where the kitchen was and walked over to see a couple of ladies were already prepping. I introduced myself and one of them said that she would call me “Ray” or “R” instead.  I have never been called either of the before and said that it would be perfectly acceptable.  It was clear to me that the other lady was in charge and she immediately put me to work by asking me to wash two giant pans in which she put huge frozen slabs of mashed potatoes.  Also, there was a giant pot of carrots that needed to be drained and refilled and it took all of my strength and balance to take it to the sink and back.  Wilson had arrived and now we had to cut open the plastic wrap around the mashed potatoes.  It was easier said than done since the packaging was very tight and even though I had scissors; my hands had become numb because of the cold.  Wilson proposed that we soak the bags in hot water and thus making it easier to slit open.  As with his other ideas, this worked out just fine.  We put the slabs in the pans and shoved them in the oven.

Now there's more to do
Than watch my sailboat glide

The menu was hamburger meat with gravy and a side of mashed potatoes.  Wilson told me that usually it was whatever was delivered by the ‘GCFD’ truck, since all the food is donated.  The hamburger meat had been cooking and our task was to transfer it to another pan and remove all the fat which had risen up to the surface.  Wilson asked me to open 25 packs of gravy powder and then mix with 25 cups of water.  While he was encouraging me to hold multiple bags in my hand and empty them in water, I knew that this would end in disaster if I did that, and so preferred to do it in a more controlled way.  It took some adjustment between powder and water to get the right consistency, but we managed to get the gravy done.  We were looking at the mashed potatoes in the oven and they were still frozen and rock solid.  We flipped them over and tried to scrape off some of the loose stuff, but it was clear that it was not going to be ready on time.  Once again Wilson, thinking 2 steps ahead, added additional bags of frozen potatoes to a big pot of boiling water, in which he was already boiling bags of frozen clam chowder.  He also started boiling some milk which he said we would add to the pans in the oven.  Talk about being on an episode of “Dinner Impossible”!  He could totally pull it off. 

And every day can be

It was a hearty plate
We had been joined by another volunteer Joshua, and I was immediately impressed by his warm and friendly nature.  He and I started plating the soup and soon realized that there wasn’t enough for the number of people that were outside.  As expected, Wilson jumped into action by opening some tomato soup and boiling that.  Next, the lady in charge showed us how to make a sample plate, with a slice of bread, on which was a big scoop of mashed potatoes.  Then came the hamburger meat, which had now been mixed with the gravy.  We then put on the plate a scoop of carrots, which had been drizzled with maple syrup.  It was a hearty plate, full of meat and starch.  I commented that hopefully there were no vegetarians and Joshua said that there were no vegetarians amongst the natives!  I was plating food fast and trays of 6 plates were disappearing into the dining room.  Our original Volunteer leader had now arrived and had started opening cans of rice pudding dessert.  Once enough lunch plates had been sent out, I started on the dessert bowls, which contained the pudding and were topped with powdered cinnamon.  It really was a nice looking feast.

My magic carpet ride

What Dreams May Come
All the food had been served meaning that I could take a break, and so went down to the lower level to see the food pantry and the enormous clothing room.  The truck from ‘GCFD’ had just arrived and so there was a lot of activity in progress.  I came back upstairs and looked inside the main dining hall.  All the native elders were still hanging around, with some playing cards, some reading newspaper while some were chatting. One gentleman was even playing music on the stage.  I saw a woman sitting with some beautiful “Dreamcatchers” and I went over to admire them.  They were vibrant in their colors and she said they were made of real feathers from exotic birds.  I asked how long she has been doing this and she said since mid-90s, when she had become disabled.  They were truly lovely and I decided to buy one.  I told her that it was my birthday and so she should choose one for me.  I had picked up a purple one –closest to violet – and she said that I should stick with the same.  She said that it was “speaking to me” and also because it was her favorite color.  Well, that was good enough for me.

And I can play hide and seek with my fears

I came into the kitchen and Wilson was leaving for his ‘FEMA’ training.  Before that he introduced me to an elder who had painted all of the extraordinary murals inside the 'AIC'.  I told him that these were some of the most beautiful ones that I had ever seen and that is the truth.  I helped sweep the floor and then Joshua and I put the remaining food in pans.  Thankfully there was a board meeting in the evening and thus the food would required for that.  Else it would have been thrown away and that’s always something that makes me cringe.  Having finished everything I thanked Joshua for working with me and he had been a wonderful partner.  Before I left I spend some time walking through the center, admiring the murals and taking in the unique ambiance that this place has.  There was one final project to go to and I bid goodbye to 'AIC'.  Who knows, I may be back in a year.

And live my days instead of counting my years 

To be concluded…

No comments:

Post a Comment