Just For Starters Imperial Bingo

Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2014; 6:30-7:45 pm

Back at Imperial
I arrived at Imperial and as is my usual protocol, sat down in the lobby to wait for other volunteers and our leader.  After a while when no one had arrived I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one.  However, I saw some people go inside and they were indeed the volunteers for this evening.  I followed them and saw that Rosie from Chicago Cares was already setting up the Bingo.  I spotted a couple of ladies that I knew, Polly and Josie.  I reminded Polly that I knew her and she responded that we must have met. Indeed we had, for Polly is quite sharp as well as sassy and I have enjoyed my time with her in the past

Also present at our table was another volunteer Kate and she seemed to be a regular here.  I asked the ladies if they had any favorite numbers and Polly said 15, because her birthday was on July 15th.  In fact, birthday’s is a main theme for favorite numbers as Josie rattled off several numbers, including her own birthday.  I found a Bingo card that had all of her numbers and offered to trade with her. But she said she would stick with what she had, though my offer was open.  Kate praised Polly’s green sweater and Polly said that she had found it in a store called ‘Unique’ for all of 2 dollars!  She mentioned that the residents were headed to a ‘Dollar Store’ tomorrow in a bus.  I asked how long they would be there and Polly thought that I was asking how long she had been at Imperial.  She said 2 years and I said that would be a lot of money spent even by a dollar store standards!  I asked what she was looking to get and she said that she wanted to find some rollers for her hair.  That’s fantastic I said and asked Josie if she was going.  She said no since she had forgotten to sign up and now it was late.

The game started and we were having the worst luck.  Polly said that she would go with all red chips since it was her favorite color.  I had all blue ones but even with this we were not getting any closer to winning.  While Polly was quite independent, Josie required some help and Kate was guiding her.  At one stage Josie thought that she had won, though it turned out to be a false alarm.  She wistfully looked on as a plush animal toy that she wanted was claimed by someone else.  I have noticed that they do love their plush animals here.  I asked Josie if she had many of those and she replied in the affirmative.  She said that she keeps them for some time and then gives them away.  I asked if she ever played with them and she said no.  I said that you have to play with a plush animal, remembering reading somewhere that hugging a teddy bear can help overcome loneliness, and that’s something everyone could use.

I was trying all color combinations for luck
A few residents had assembled at the adjacent table, though no volunteer was sitting with them.  Kate suggested that one of us should go join them and since she was set with Josie, I said that I would go.  As I got up, Polly asked if I was leaving.  Josie had just won a glass mug and so I said that I was just going over to spread the luck!  I said hello to the ladies over there, who introduced themselves as Debbie and Linda.  Soon we were joined by another gentleman, Ted.  Once again I asked everyone if they had lucky numbers and surprise, surprise, it was their birthdays.  I learned that Linda and Ted had never played Bingo over here and I said that we should make sure they win on their debut.  But that was easier said than done and try as we may – including me constantly changing chip colors – we did not succeed.  I asked what prizes they would select were they to win and once again they said a plush toy.  I mentioned to Rosie that she should more of those the next time.  In fact, a good Bingo project leader should observe the patterns and tailor their shopping accordingly.

We had reached the lightening round with 6 prizes left.  It went by fast and Ted did manage to get his hands on one of them.  Another gentleman who had won multiple times gave away his to Debbie, leaving poor Linda without any prize.  I pushed Debbie’s chair to drop her off at her room and saw that Polly was struggling with hers.  I said that I’ll help them both and pushed Polly inside the elevator first since she was getting off at the top floor.  She did not like facing the back of the elevator and wanted to be turned around, which was a challenge with other residents in there.  But I could see her point, especially since facing the wall of an enclosed space can be claustrophobic and that’s something the residents could live without.  We managed to get everyone in and then I dropped off Debbie and left.  It had been a lovely evening and once again a reminder why I like this place a lot. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment