Zoo Guest Relations Volunteer

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Sunday, July 13, 2014; 1:00-5:00 pm

Who doesn't like ice cream
I was a bit early for my shift and so stopped by to see the Gorilla’s, which probably wasn’t wise since some of them were relaxing in a hammock and it made me yearn for a nap…not ideal before a shift.  I arrived at the volunteer office and saw that Jen was the volunteer coordinator present and she was with Judy, Pat and some other volunteers whom I had not met earlier.  There were also giant tubs of ice cream on the table along with bottles of fudge, caramel and some sprinkles.  Jen told us that today was the start of ice cream social week for the volunteers and I was just in time for that.  So much for me wanting to nap, give me ice cream any day and twice today!  Some other volunteers from ‘Farm In The Zoo’ came over for ice cream and we mingled with them.  There is nothing like ice cream to bring people closer.  The other new thing in the office was a giant poster for “Zoo Keeper appreciation week” and we were encouraged to sign that.  One of my friends is a ‘Zoo keeper’ with the Apes and so I signed my name over a picture of a Gorilla.  Now it was time for our shift.

My first stop was at ‘Gateway’ for a couple of hours and I was paired with another seasoned volunteer, Rose.  It was the usual influx of visitors, most of them asking for either a map or directions to the bathroom.  Besides this, a few came over to either borrow or return wheelchairs or the occasional visitor looking for specific animals like the Kangaroo’s.  A little boy came in with his mom and after looking around she said to him, “See, there are no animals here”.  Without missing a beat, Rose pointed at me and said, “Unless you are referring to him”.  Oh well, everyone’s a comedian! 

Three people came in and asked directions to the nearest train station and I said it was a good mile away, which is comfortable walking distance for us Chicago folks.  Well, they were visitors and doing touristy things.  They were headed to Hancock building and I told them the insider secret of going up to the ‘Signature Lounge’ for a drink and the view rather than paying for the observation deck.  They seemed pleased with that and thanked me before leaving, meaning I had another satisfied customer.  A ‘Chicago Police Department’ cop stopped by to collect some parking permits since the Mayor was visiting the waterfront.  I chatted with him as we waited for the permits to be ready and he mentioned that despite growing up in Chicago, he had not known that the zoo was free.  I hear this with visitors who cannot believe that they can enter for free.

My time at ‘Gateway’ was flying by and things were going well, despite a call for medical staff for someone who had fallen down and request for some band aids.  I spent some time learning how to work the membership system and at one point had to go and tell a couple of kids that could not ride their bikes inside the zoo. At 3:30 pm I was relieved and was going to be placed near ‘Brauer Gate’ for the remaining 90 minutes.  I went over to the volunteer office to pick up the radio, my clicker and several hundred maps.  It was a very hot day and I found myself a tiny sliver of shade and started greeting people as they came in.  Many stopped to ask directions for bathroom though there were a few who wanted to know how to get to the Giraffes.  I would usually pull out the map and then show them the two ways through which they could get there.  Some wanted to get to the “petting zoo” while the lady who was looking for the Kangaroo’s earlier was still looking and stopped by for directions.  I had a great time interacting with the guests, though I did have to tell a woman that dogs weren’t allowed. By end of shift I had given away 2 stacks of maps and then it was time to go.  I dropped off my radio and recorded my 378 interactions in the log book.  Not bad for someone on their second day on the job. 

“The views expressed on this weblog are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment