Zoo Guest Relations Volunteer

Location: Lincoln Park Zoo
Date: Sunday, July 06, 2015; 1:00-5:00 pm

I was supposed to start my career at the zoo last week. However, I had to go look for apartments and could not make it, thus requesting that I push back my start date by a week.  I generally do not like going back on a commitment, but unlike regular staff members, I have to find the balance between my volunteer work and doing chores when I have free time.  The following weekend I was travelling for July 4th and so as to make it back on time, I took an early morning flight back.  I went home from the airport and after a quick change into my uniform, arrived at the zoo on time. 

Lincoln Park Zoo
I went in the volunteer room and checked in with Tessa.  She told me that I would be paired with another volunteer Judy and she would be training me on the job.  Every session starts with a pre-shift meeting and besides Judy and Tessa, there were other volunteers Pat and Rhia, whom I had met at last year’s One Brick Zoo Lights event; as well as a new ‘GEA’ volunteer Dave, who was starting today as well.  Tessa told us about the happenings at the zoo, including a “photo of the week” of some camels.  As we went over the shift notes, she gave us some vouchers for a program that they were trialing, called “Fix It Now”.  Through this, if we were to encounter a kid who was upset because they had dropped popcorn or ice cream on the ground, as good customer service, we were authorized to given them this voucher for replacement…and be judicious about our choices to do so.

At 1:30 pm Judy, Rhai and I walked over to the information center, ‘Gateway’, which would be our base for the next one hour.  I had a clicker with me to record the number of interactions that I would have and Judy carried the walkie.  She started my training by giving me the basics of the place and introduced me to the center supervisors, Alex and Chris.  She showed me where the security guards sat and the medical station.  This was followed by a tutorial on answering the phone, processing refunds – in case people lost money at vending machine – looking up memberships, handing member’s gifts, allocating wheelchairs and instructions on how to handle general inquiries and tasks.  We also looked at big folders that carried more details on the zoo as well as the Lincoln Park neighborhood. 

I sat at the desk with Rhia and my task was to operate the clicker to count the number of people coming inside for inquiries, of which there were plenty.  Most of them of course dealt with directions to the nearest bathroom, which was in the ‘Lionhouse’ across the courtyard.  Judy said that she was impressed with how effortlessly I was able to handle this task, and why not?  Giving precise directions to the nearest bathroom is not easy, especially if people are in a hurry to go!  Other people came over to either pick-up or return wheelchairs and my task was to bring the wheelchair or fold and take it inside; as well as handle the driver’s license which borrowers had to leave behind as collateral. 

At 2:30 pm, Judy and I picked up a bunch of zoo maps and walked over to the ‘West Gate’ to greet visitors and offer them maps; and boy did we go through them.  Everyone wanted a map as they came in and sometimes every person in the family asked for one.  I was greeting people who entered and thanking others as they left.  Plus I was recording the interactions.  Almost every visitor was friendly and smiled as they passed by.  Judy then took me to the ‘Children’s Zoo’ and showed me some of the highlights, including where the Beavers and the Sea Otter’s resided.  Our next duty was once again at the ‘Gateway’ but since Pat had everything in there under control, Judy took me for another walk and this time we saw an Owl pair, a Bald Eagle – who are not to be kept in captivity unless injured – the Rhino family, including an 11 month old infant, and a tiny Bear.  While doing so we were having a lot of interaction with the visitors, including a couple from France and another family with kids.  Judy is really good at answering questions and it was great to observe and learn.  There was some construction going on for new exhibits and I asked Judy what happens to the animals.  She said that they are usually moved to another zoo, as will be the case with the Polar Bear when they start work on the Penguins exhibit in that space.

We came back to the ‘Gateway’ and I once again resumed my duties of directing people to the bathroom, which is a noble task in itself.  Many others came in for maps and some for membership, which is one way through which the zoo actually makes money.  Once again, this is a free zoo folks.  I chatted with Pat and she asked me why I was volunteering at the zoo and I responded, “Why not”.  She said that she loved the zoo since she had been a kid and has now been volunteering for the past 15 years!  Around 5 pm, Judy and I went back to the volunteer room and I signed off on her training sheet.  She had been a fantastic teacher and a pleasure to work with.  It had been a slightly warm, but lovely day nevertheless.  I look forward to my next shift the following Sunday. 

“The views expressed on this weblog are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment