Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, November 05, 2014; 5:45-9:00 pm

I was asked if I could lead and since I have done it plenty of times, I said that I would.  This project does not require any prep work and all I had to do was send out a welcome email to the volunteers.  Even though it was November, it was not very cold and so I walked over to ‘Wells Street CafĂ©’ and as soon as I arrived, Keith looked at me and with mild recognition said, “Chicago Cares”“For now”, I muttered, since there is a possibility that this project may be cancelled come New Year.  I saw the ‘Moody Bible’ students whom I have come to know over the last few visits, and they are the nicest group of people you can hope to meet.  My volunteers started arriving and while 2 of them had been here before, 3 were new comers; in fact some were on their very first Chicago Cares project. 

Everyone loves 'Tater Tots'
I had not seen Marianne since she went on her vacation a few months ago and as soon as she arrived; took charge of the situation, and through me, started assigning duties to the volunteers.  It was “Turkey Burger Night” and so some folks were opening packs of buns and putting them in the oven for warming.  Others were on coffee duty and were arranging the cups.  At the salad station people were mixing dressing with the salad and it seemed like a mixture of ‘Thousand Island’ and ‘Italian’“Thousand Italian Islands”, I said.  Yeah, I should be a comedian.  There wasn’t enough fruit for the salad, neither was there any dessert.  What we did have were ‘Tater Tots’ and that usually makes up for disappointments!

Everything was wrapped up quite efficiently and Keith gave his usual speech earlier than usual.  He mentioned that we usually get less people on the first Wednesday, especially since some of our guests get paid.  Once again, he picked on Hannah for the 4 key components of how we welcome guests and told everyone how she has been volunteering since she was in the 7th grade.  I mentioned to Marianne that I do not even remember how I was like back then but I certainly wasn’t doing this!  After this was Marianne’s turn to talk about everyone’s personal comfort level and how we should bring up any issues to her immediately, and then we prayed.  Few of my volunteers would be serving the juice, while one was the “Nurse’s Assistant”.  Some were in charge of distributing the 18 salad bowls and 18 other smaller bowls containing the condiments accompanying the burger.  Marianne said that we should wait till the last minute to put out the condiments, else the guests would pocket those and there would not be any left.  I guess when you are hungry, even the condiments will do.

I chatted with a young man, Gavin, who I learnt was Keith’s son.  He is a personal trainer and so we discussed nutrition and whether he approves of Keith’s menu.  We talked about incorporating some sort of ‘Vitamin D’ in the diet, especially with winter coming up and lack of sunlight in Chicago.  He is a delightful young man and as impressive as Keith.  Marianne told me about her trip to Scotland and how she saw a guy wearing a ‘Star Wars’ costume playing bagpipes!  I asked if she had tried ‘Haggis’ and she said that she had and liked it as well.  I went over to take a look at the dining area and saw that there were several tables without “Salt Shakers”, meaning our guests would have to share.  It’s funny that back when we had 21 tables, there were enough of these, but now that we were down to 18, we are short. 

It was time for service and Keith and Marianne went to the stage and gave their opening address.  I was in the assembly line, where someone would pass me a plate with the buns, I put the burger in it and then passed it on to another volunteer plating the tots.  We had enough buns and burgers, but not enough tots, and so had to be a bit conservative with those.  Once the first round was done, I took over the counting duty as the guests lined up for seconds.  I chatted with one of my new volunteers and learned that he had a ‘Ph.D.’ in ‘Clinical Psychology’.  It is always interesting to meet people with diverse backgrounds and I chatted with him about his work and observations. 

It was time for cleanup and I helped a bit with tables and chairs and then got all of my volunteers together for reflection.  I asked if they had liked their experience and what we could do differently.  A couple of comments were that we should have more interaction with the guests.  I said that they were welcome to sit with the guests if they so desired for dinner and they didn't know that.  That is on me and I made a mental note to tell that to the volunteers moving forward.  Before leaving, Marianne thanked me for my leadership and I told her that even if Chicago Cares cancels the project, I want to come regularly.  She said that she could still schedule me for first Wednesdays and I said that would be perfect.  It would be a shame if this is cancelled, because even though we get plenty of volunteers, it is always important for others to see this and understand our community.  That’s how I learned.  Plus, how else would they otherwise meet someone like Keith and Marianne.

No comments:

Post a Comment