Young Scientists

Location: Young (Ella Flagg) Elementary School
Date: Saturday, October 11, 2014; 10:00 am-12:00 pm

It had been 20 months since I had last been to this project.  It had been a fun experience but the commute had taken a considerable amount of time.  Plus there had been the ice on the sidewalks making it very tricky to get to the school.  There was no such problem today as I took the train and then the bus which dropped me a block from the school.  There are multiple programs that occur simultaneously and they all first assemble in the indoor play court.  I made my way there and saw that someone was already putting up signs to let volunteers know where to assemble.  They were based on the grades that the kids were in and I noticed that besides Science for the 3rd and 4th graders, there was 'Read With Me' for K through 2nd grade, Geography for 5th and 6th and Sports for older kids.  Also, there is a Computer skills project that Chicago Cares runs as the parents wait for the kids.  I must say that of all the schools that I have been to, this one looks the most comprehensive in terms of engagement across the board.

Soda bottle before and after "blowing"
I waited by my sign for the Science project and was soon joined by 2 more volunteers as well as the Volunteer Leader John.  He gave us the experiment sheet for today and we were going to start with “Baby soda bottles” that look like test tubes.  After quizzing the kids on what they were – soda bottles after blowing up – we would do some more experiments in them.  The kids came in and I saw a girl sitting in the 5th-6th grade section, and I remembered her from the last time that I was here and how she had been the life of the group.  I chatted with a girl who was at my table and asked if Science was her favorite subject.  She said no, it was Math. Oh well, I tried.  The Principal of the school was here and she looked like she was a no nonsense person.  She welcomed everyone, introduced the leaders and then asked the kids to follow them to appropriate rooms. 

All the groups dispersed and I went upstairs to our room and the first task was to put all the tables together so that we could sit around them.  There were about 12-13 kids and John said that we should go around and introduce ourselves, followed by naming our favorite sport.  I was surprised to hear a variety of sports being mentioned, ranging from Hockey, Volleyball, Softball, Tennis, Swimming, Gymnastics, Dodgeball etc.  When my turn came, I said that it was Fall, the time for my favorite sport, Football.  Next, John gave out the small tubes and asked everyone what they were - glass or plastic. It took me back to many years ago where we used to do experiments to identify materials.  I  told the kids near me that I went to school to study this and showed them the point where the injection mold makes a stub, which is never found on glass.  One girl asked why it was tough and not flexible like a soda bottle and I said that the material was very dense right now and needed to be blown up first.

John gave everyone 2 types of “packing peanuts”, one green and the other white.  Then we were paired with one person having each color.  We were to add water to our tubes and then these materials, followed by shaking vigorously for 30 seconds.  This activity proved to be a party in itself as everyone not only had their own style, but also the speed at which they counted.  I had green colored stuff and that would not dissolve, while the white ones did.  The reason was that green was ‘Styrofoam’ and non-biodegradable, whereas the white was made of ‘Cellulose’ and thus could dissolve.  I found it funny that something that was colored green was supposedly bad for the environment.  Many kids tried to force those to dissolve through more aggressive shaking, but to no avail.  We then had to clean the tubes and some of the green ones were stuck inside.  So while the volunteers tried to remove these by pen, the rest moved to next experiment. 

John gave everyone fine foam pellets and once again asked them to put in the tube and shake.  These materials stuck to the sides of the tube due to static.  Then we added water and colored pellets into the tubes and it actually looked quite cool with colored water and suspended pellets.  The kids enjoyed this and each of them got one to take home.  Then we took another tube and added oil and a bit of water, followed by a colored pellet.  Then it was more shaking and demonstration of the difference in densities and how colored water globules float in oil.  The kids loved this as well and tried to create different colors by mixing 2 pellets. 

For the final 20 minutes John said that we would play a game of ‘7-Up’, where everyone but 3 people close their eyes with their thumbs up and the 3 remaining people then put their thumbs down and people whose thumbs went down had to guess who had done it.  It was very popular with the kids and they enjoyed it, especially playing with the volunteers.  It just goes to show how much they enjoy integrating the volunteers…or even adults in their activities.  Besides this there was another game in progress, which involved matching pictured cards.  I wasn’t doing either, sweeping the floor instead since a lot of waste had been accumulated through the fine pellets. 

It was time to leave and we had cleaned the best we could.  The kids thanked us and collected their tubes with colored water before leaving.  As I walked out, I saw Dave, who I had met at ‘Job Coaching’ project last year.  He is a popular leader with Chicago Cares and leads the ‘Adult Computer Skills’ project here.  He is an all-round great guy and we chatted about his project here as well as some of the other ones that we had been to.  I left after a good session and realized that my trepidation of not coming here due to the commute was unfounded.  The concept of long distance is only in the mind and now that I had overcome it, there is no reason why I can’t return soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment