Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, July 20, 2015; 6:15-7:15 pm

My buddy Bodie
I arrived to see that the regulars like Charta and Bodie were already here.  Bodie’s owner said to him that his favorite person was here, and Bodie agreed since he sat in my lap and licked me all over.  In the meanwhile, Charta was grumbling…maybe she was jealous.  There were plenty of other cuties, including a golden haired thing and two tiny creatures, one of which was a 4 month old excitable pup called Tokyo.  Robyn was the leader for this evening and so Bruce and June were in attendance. There was another tiny ‘Pug’ who was a spitting image of a younger Bruce.  I said that he could be Bruce's son and perhaps there is something that Bruce should be telling us!

We all went inside the Bingo room and I stopped over to say hi to Jim Jack and Larry.  After a brief visit we came out and while Robyn was doing her speech, I was holding on to Bruce.  He was behaving as usual and sat down. I was paired with Charta and her owner Elaine and though initially I offered to take June with me, it perhaps would not have been wise, since she is so attached to Bruce. Charta was looking girly with nice pink flowers in her hair.  We started on the 3rd and initially did not have any luck, since all the residents seemed to be sleeping.  We stopped at the room with the gentleman who was talking to me about his brother last time.  He was incoherent once again, though he kept saying something about a building and we thought that he was asking if we would buy it.  I said that I was in no position to buy anything of that sort.  We hung around for a bit and I told Elaine that even if we cannot understand him, just having someone listen to his babble will perhaps help him.

Charta was looking pretty with her pink flowers
Next up was Hannah and her roommate Linda – the one who likes reading.  I asked what she was reading currently and she said that it was a romance novel.  I asked what the story was about and she said that it was about a guy who wants to know about love and is stalking a woman he likes, but it's complicated since she's caring for a mentally challenged person.  It didn't seem very romantic to me!  She said that there was a library in the basement and they usually brought her books.  She asked me to get some books from her dresser and then showed me all the books that she had lined up.  Hannah was still holding on to hope for the publication of her book and I said that one day her book should be on her roommate’s dresser.  She had the picture of Johnny B with her and asked me to put it inside and lock the drawer. Then she asked if I had checked to see if it was locked.  Later when she asked me to remove it, she asked again if I had locked it and checked.  Aah Hannah.

Next, we went to a room and were chatting with a lady there when her roommate came out of the bathroom.  Her name was Lil and she called Charta “Babita” and when we asked, she said that it was Spanish.  She said that her English wasn’t that good and I said that her English wasn’t as bad as our Spanish.  She mentioned how she had a dog and how her husband didn’t like him.  She said that he was jealous that she liked the dog more than him, so much so that she had told her husband to leave.  She said that her neighbors didn’t like her dog and she had asked them to leave as well.  Well, there was no messing with this one.  She told us how she had come from Puerto Rico when she was 23 and would die here…just like her husband.  She then talked about how her husband had left her some money, but her daughter-in-law had taken it all away from the bank.  She said that she did not understand what her son saw in her – saying that “she’s shorter than me”!  She said that she was now going to stay here till the government threw her out.  There’s nothing much that one can say here, and I said that I hoped she could stay as long as she wanted.

We stopped to see Audrey who was sitting in a chair.  She was in good spirits and said that she had been to her doctor today and could sit up.  She said that she was also able to eat now, with feeding tubes having being her source for long time.  She said that a lot of food was on floor though and Charta was doing a great job of finding it.  She asked us to come earlier next time before the other dogs got to the scraps.  I said Monday evenings her floor would be the cleanest.  She said that she goes for all activities they have here and I said that I admired her spirit.  I said that many give up in a place like this, but not her.  Next, we went to a room which was much cooler and the lady there – Ethel – said that she had gotten them to open the window.  That made a huge difference to the place, it its ambiance and the comfort level.  She was a cheerful person and had teddy bears in her room.  She was another resident with a good spirit and I said that we would visit her next week.  We stopped to meet with Jerry and Charta got on the bed for a lot of treats.  Jerry is popular and I saw that someone had dropped pictures of their dogs with him.  I told Elaine that she should do the same for Charta.  Time was almost up and we wouldn’t be able to do the 2nd floor.  Charta and Elaine left and I stopped in the Bingo room to say bye to Jim, who seemed ticked that Kenny always brings up "Hawaii 5-0" when "50"  is called  I said come on, that’s all in good fun and what makes Kenny who he is.  Aah Bingo.  It does bring them all to life.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment