Networking Event To Support ACS CAN

Location: Harry Caray’s
Date: Tuesday, July 21, 2015; 5:30-7:30 pm

As a member of the “ELT”, it was our duty to promote this fundraising event.  Last year we had a poor turnout and so had to be more active this time around.  I had forwarded the invitation to a few of my colleagues and had also posted on “Chicago Volunteer Meetup” group.  About 10 people expressed interest and that was a good start.  I arrived at ‘Harry Caray’s’ and was directed to an upstairs room, where I saw Le’Loni signing up people at the entrance.  She mentioned that I was one of the last to get the ticket – which was just this morning - and I said that I was hoping to win it in a lottery!

The 'ACS CAN' pin
We had a good turnout and Allyson told me to chat with some newcomers i.e. people we did not know, and she pointed to one guy who was by himself.  I walked over to introduce myself and he mentioned that he was visiting from Japan for 2 months to learn English.  I said that he was at the right place.  He asked me several questions on what this event was all about and I told him about ‘ACS CAN’ and “Strides” event as well.  I was glad to hear that he had come through the ‘Meetup’, meaning that I had been successful!  I learned that he worked in Health Care in Japan and I thought that it would be a good opportunity for him to get introduced to some of the staff members.  I found Katherine and so dropped him off with her.

One of the games they were playing tonight was “Networking Bingo” and it is a lot of fun - having designed a similar one for an office meeting last month.  While some of squares were related to ‘ACS CAN’ - "which year certain legislation had been passed" - there were a few other ones like “Is left handed”, “Shares the same birthday month as you” etc.  One gentleman came over and at first shot we both realized we had the same birthday month – his date being 9th to my 11th.  He was a Doctor from Dominica and had come to the US to study, pass his board exam and eventually practice medicine.  Plus, he was here through the ‘Meetup’ as well.  He was doing the right thing by playing the “Networking Game” enthusiastically because that was the point of it.  Katie, who was on the committee last year and with whom I had done the luminaria thing at the walk arrived and I caught up with her.  There were masks of Harry Caray lying around the Allyson was walking about taking pictures, including selfies of everyone with the mask.  I did mine as if I was peeking from behind him

The "Tribute Banner"
Next, it was time for speeches and Le’Loni thanked everyone for coming and introduced a lady, Judy, who told us her story of being associated with ‘ACS CAN’ and how cutting funding to cancer research, diagnosis and treatment has a detrimental effect.  She told us how the “Caregivers” had supported her through her mom’s cancer ordeal and talked about her own cancer treatment, though she didn’t want to refer to herself as a “Survivor” since she felt that others had gone through a more stressful time with chemo etc. whereas her treatment had been through - in her words - a quick surgery.  She also encouraged us to sign a giant banner which was in the back of the room and which was like a “tribute wall” that would eventually be sent to DC or Springfield.  She also talked about another event in DC in September where one could sponsor a lighted bag which would be in memory, or tribute of someone and would be placed around the reflecting pool.  What a great idea.

It was announced that Bingo would end soon and I just had a few squares filled.  I went over and chatted with a couple of ladies and finally someone knew the answer to “What is the Bean called”!  I asked how they were involved and they said that they were volunteers on the team that raises money for ‘ACS’ through participating in Athletic Events like the Marathon.  It was time for Bingo and Raffle drawing and the good doctor was excited since he had filled in every square.  Luckily for him, his sheet was the one that was pulled out and he totally deserved it too.  Katie and I chatted with some of our other teammates from last year and I mentioned how much we had enjoyed last year’s meetings.  It’s not that Allyson is a bad leader; it’s just that Carrie was a better one.  It seemed like we had more fun last year.  Perhaps combining the “ELT” and the “Activities” committee meetings is a great start and something that should have been done from the start.  I left after a successful networking session.  Plus, this year I even got my ‘ACS CAN’ bag pin!

No comments:

Post a Comment