American Cancer Society Making Strides ELT Meeting

Location: American Cancer Society Office
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2015; 6:00-7:00 pm

While not as many, I did have a lot of these
They had decided to combine “ELT”, “Events Committee” and “Ambassador” meetings into one, which made sense to me.  I arrived at the building and just as I was checking in, my teammate Vikki arrived.  We went upstairs and saw that we were to be back in the big room.  Allyson was setting everything up and Katherine was distributing ‘Starburst’s, with different shades of pink, representing different flavors – strawberry, watermelon etc.  I reached in for one and found that 6 were stuck together, meaning I had to eat them all!  Others started arriving, including Le’Loni, Ivana, Kathryn and some others whom I knew and some that I did not, including a guy named Ted.

First order was introductions and what we should name our team.  I said that I am the leader of the committee team that I had created online and whose name I had forgotten.  Thankfully Allyson remembered it and told everyone.  Besides me, only Ted had registered to be on the committee team, while the rest had their own teams.  We started by reviewing the numbers and Allyson said that my ‘Meetup’ had worked for the ‘ACS CAN’ fundraiser and that I should do the same for the walk.  I said that I would do that once the “Kick-off” was done.  Volunteer assignments were handed out for the downtown event and it definitely was more interactive than last year, with different stations including one for making “Luminaria” etc.  I mentioned that while I would not be able to make it to the downtown one, I would definitely volunteer for the Southside one.  I asked if there would be stations where people could sign-up for the walk and Alyson said that there would be.  Finally!

There was also some promotion wherein we could sell ‘Macy’s’ coupon books for $5 and people would have coupons for discounted shopping on August 29th, the day of the “Southside kick-off”.  I asked if that could change, but I guess they can go shopping after the event.  Plus the ‘White Sox’ game to support ‘ACS’ this year is on the 29th as well.  Seems like the busiest day of the year as far as ‘ACS’ is concerned!  There is also a full day event at ‘Ogilvie Station’ on Oct 2nd and they needed someone to volunteer for that.  There are going to be 4 tables and were looking for some ideas for activities.  I said that since ‘Ogilvie’ was near my office, I could possibly stop by for a bit during lunch.  It is a busy place with lot of people passing through and that should get us a lot of exposure.

Ted had submitted a proposal for a “Scavenger Hunt” during the day of the event and it involved participants visiting all the tables, carrying with them a “passport” and getting it stamped by the volunteers stationed there.  He also suggested that there be a “hidden volunteer” walking about the site, which they would need to find as well.  I said that we should place this person at the “turnaround point” so that people will be forced to turn around properly rather than cutting across the lawn – one of the volunteers nodded, understanding what I was saying.  The idea was to have us at different tables for this and while Allyson was thinking of actual stamps, I said we could use different colored stickers.  I said that we could even sign their forms.  I asked what we did last year and Le’Loni said that it was just a signature. 

Le’Loni said we should have the “pink ladies” again and I remembered Katie and me trying to shove them in the ground last year and then trying to take them out.  I said “never again”, and Le’Loni said that this time we should just hand them out.  It takes a long time to cut them in that shape and I said that it may be worthwhile to invest in a cutter mold.  I said that we should see if we could hand them out at the ‘Ogilvie’ event.  The discussion then turned to volunteers and I said, “No more high school volunteers”, remembering the 50 odd kids from last year that we had to manage at the “luminaria station”.  Allyson said that the t-shirts were $15 a piece – which wasn’t bad – but you had to order at least a dozen – which wouldn't work for me.  I said this may not work for others as well, but it is a requirement imposed nationally.   I left after a decent meeting and said that I could help out with the “Scavenger Hunt” if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment