Hilliard Reading Connection

Location: Hilliard Apartments
Date: Saturday, August 22, 2015; 10:30 am-12:30 pm

I hadn’t been here in a long time – almost 2 years - which is strange since this is literally walking distance for me.  I arrived and saw that our Volunteer leader Lindsay was already here, along with other volunteers - including one from Judge Fisher apartments - and lot of little kids, all of whom looked friendly.  Today’s theme was “Minions” from the “Despicable Me” series, and we would be reading books and doing some projects around that.  We had 3 sets of books which we could choose to read, and then were making a “Minion” out of a toilet paper roll and finally decorating cupcakes in a “Minion” theme.  A little boy next to me was looking at the books and I asked if he had seen the movies.  He said that he had.  I said that I had seen only one, so we should both read a book called “Meet the Minions” for me to learn more.  

Not a bad looking "Minion"
We went to a table and alternated reading pages.  He had an “Iron Man” figurine and put him on the table.  He was a fan of all things “Superhero”, and when I asked, picked “Spiderman” and “Iron Man” as his favorites.  As we read the book, he was struggling with a few words, but was enthusiastic nevertheless.  He said that the book was a plot of the 2nd movie – which I had not seen - though the ending was different.  We finished the book and cleaned up the table for our arts activity. We were going to make a “Minion” out of Toilet paper roll, colored craft paper, glue and scissors.  I helped him with some of the cutting and pasting and we worked well together to make a decent looking figure.  I asked if he had a friend here and he pointed out a guy.  I asked that fellow if my kid was his friend and he confirmed it. Some girls were making “girl minions” from Pink stock paper and it was really cute. However, I must say that our "Minion" was better than most being made.

This did not last long
Before the cupcake challenge, I asked my kid to wash his hands thoroughly and he did.  We got the cupcakes and he put the yellow frosting on top. Then he mushed up 4 marshmallows as an eye and put a brown M&M in it.  He really wanted to eat the marshmallows, but I told him not to eat his homework before showing it to the teacher!  We then used a piping bag filled with grey frosting to make a smile, and then were done.  There were 2‘M&Ms’ leftover from our supplies and I told him that he could eat those.  He asked if I could take a picture and post on ‘Facebook’ so that his mom could see, and I said that I wasn’t on it.  What about ‘Twitter’, he asked.  Aah, kids nowadays.  As much as he wanted to show it to his mom, he preferred to eat it instead and proceeded to devour the cupcake. 

His friend had built some sort of a “glider” from the cardstock paper and was flying it in the room, so he went over to play with him.  Clean-up was on and since we had finished early, kids were just running about.  There were a couple of older ones who were sitting by themselves, but even with all of this, it was still decent in terms of the noise and chaos.  One girl requested me to help finish her “Minion” and I did.  The 2 boys asked me to come back next time, which was going to be a “Spiderman” theme, and I said that I was out of town, but would stop by soon.  They insisted, saying that I could come on a Friday, which was outside of Chicago Cares time.  I walked back home after chatting with Lindsay.  What a lovely program and such a nice feeling to feel wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment