Just For Starters Bingo

Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Thursday, August 06, 2015; 6:30-7:45 pm

I wasn’t sure if I would be able to make it here this evening, but decided to go.  I arrived to see Vita, who is a regular volunteer, sitting with a senior gentleman whom I have seen from my very first visit to this place.  Our leader Celene was here and we were joined by a first time volunteer.  She had just moved from New York and I asked why!  We talked about ‘NY Cares’ and how Chicago Cares claims that it was founded before them and vice versa.  Always the competition.  The prizes were in a paper bag – with the ban on plastics and what not – and there was the usual collection of things including stuffed toys, which people over here particularly enjoy.  Celene asked if I would like to call the game and I said sure.  I went inside with Vita while Celene gave the new volunteer an overview of the place.

They love these over here
It was a full house inside but I spotted my friend Polly.  I went to say hello and she said “Long time no see”.  She had recognized me, though I was sad to see that she looked a little frailer since I’d last seen her.  But even with that, she still had that impish grin which I love. Another volunteer joined us and I recognized him from the ‘Judge Fisher’ project on Tuesday.  I had the usual “hamster wheel” with balls and also a board to put them in.  Since Celene had come in, we could now begin.  I started calling and I was loud and repeating the numbers – so as not to have any complaints.  We could have 2 winners per board and over here you are allowed to win twice on the same board.  But after the 2 wins, you had to give your prize away.  Once someone won, Celene would go to them with the prizes and have the resident have their pick. 

The game was proceeding well, but the number balls were really old and some were difficult to read.  In fact, numbers had been written by hand on some of them.  Some of the balls would fall down and I would try to insert them in the right place in the queue.  But then I thought that this is such a game of chance, that maybe if I don’t put the balls in right place, I am adding another variable. As you can see, I had plenty of thoughts in my head.  After 2 winners I would ask everyone to “clear the board” and then after a bit of time ask if everyone was ready.  Well, some got annoyed that I was rushing them and some thought I was delaying.  Oh well, you can’t win em all.

I was standing next to 2 vending machines and one gentleman came to get soda.  I tried to convince him to join us but to no avail.  At one stage I said that I had “Bingo” on my board since entire row on the board had filled up.  It happened other times and it was an interesting coincidence that many people actually won when that happened.  Almost everyone won this evening and we wrapped up on time.  I told Celene that one way we could prolong the game was by having a round of “4-corners Bingo” – something I had learnt earlier this week.  I wheeled Polly to the Elevators, passing a gentleman on the outside and commentated on it like it was an Automobile race.  Only one of the elevators was working this evening and so there was a huge line of wheelchairs to get in.  When I left, it looked like Chicago’s interstate during rush hour!

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment