American Cancer Society Making Strides ELT Meeting

Location: American Cancer Society Office
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 2015; 6:00-7:00 pm

I had missed the previous meeting, which had actually been at ‘Lou Malnati’s’ over some pizza pot pie.  This evening’s meeting was supposed to be our last one prior to the walk and it was to discuss “logistics”, meaning we would probably be working.  We still had over 10 days to ago and in previous years this meeting had been on the week of the walk, so it was good that we were preparing ahead of time.  I arrived to see that some of the usual suspects were there, including Le’Loni and Vikki.  Kathryn and Allyson were busy, handing out some materials to the walk-day participants in the lobby, and so the rest of us moved to the smaller conference room.

The cards we had to assemble
I was told that our task was cutting “volunteer cards” and then stuffing them in plastic lanyards, followed by clipping to something that can be worn around the neck.  I liked that, much easier to manage.  Le’Loni was cutting and I was stuffing in the plastic things and Vicki was clipping them – though she had some difficulty in the beginning, for which we were giving her some good-natured hard time.  After we had been doing it for some time, Kathryn came and said that we shouldn’t be clipping the blue strings for volunteers since they were for staff and volunteers were in fact wearing pink strings.  Poor Vicki now had to take everything out and wasn’t too amused.

We continued this activity while chatting and I said it that seemed more under control than last 2 years, where we appeared to be scrambling at the end.  Plus, we weren’t stuffing bags, which is always tedious.  Le’Loni asked me to keep quite else they would give us that task!  Kathryn came over and started asking people where they wanted to be posted on walk day and some were on “Family Zone”, “pink hair braiding” - Vicki said that last year more adults were involved in this rather than kids.  When Kathryn said where I would like to be on walk day, I said “California”!  She asked if I could do “Luminaria”, and I remembered our experience from last year.  This year they have changed the walk route and it was going to go North around “Museum Campus”.  It meant that the “luminaria” would not be in the tunnels but were going to be tied to a fence on the route.  I agreed to do that and joked that Katie had quit the committee because of that – maybe it was the truth.  However, having done the tribute wall for Walk and Roll, I knew how important and enriching this activity is. 

Some of the other things that would be going on were “Scavenger Hunt”, where instead of answering questions, people would just need to “check-in” with a volunteer.  The prize was a “$0.10 off gas” card from ‘BP’.  It was around 7 pm and we were done with the stuffing.  Some of our teammates were collecting wrist bands for their teams - or drink coupons as I called them - and then we left.  This may be the last time I come to this office since I may not do it next year.  But I do like our team and we were already planning a committee get-together in November, after this is all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment