American Cancer Society Making Strides Walk

Location: Soldier Field
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015; 7:00 - 11:30 am

Early morning call again
The skies were threatening when I arrived at ‘Soldier Field’ and it looked like we were in for a similar day like Walk and Roll.  I went over to "Check-In" and saw that several volunteers were already there.  I was in charge of “Luminaria’s” and there was a table for us just across the “Information Tent".  Kathryn gave me a sign to hold up so that my volunteers could find me.  I did that and sure enough 2 ladies came forward and introduced themselves as Carolyn and Xiao Mei.  It was a start.

We went over to the table and got our supplies out, which included some of the “luminaria bags” that had been made at the Kickoff event.  We had several empty bags and marker pens for people to make some more, though limited in colors with just a few pink and greens but mostly black pens.  Our biggest challenge though was the wind and I asked them to put some weights on the bags.  Unlike last year there were no “glow sticks” inside a tunnel, but rather we were going to tie the bags to a fence on the walk route.  We also had a pink ribbon and scotch tape and Carolyn suggested that we string 5 bags together before putting them on the fence.  I thought that it was a good idea and may help with the wind.

The registration opened at 8 am and people had already started coming in.  I told my team to go start recruiting and soon they were getting traffic in, as was I.  There were several families in attendance and I would ask them their team name.  Everyone seemed to be doing this for someone and one girl told me it that was for her Grandma who had recently passed from Colon cancer.  People were decked in pink and wearing all sorts of paraphernalia.  Despite the threat of rain, everyone’s enthusiasm was high. 

The "Luminaria Bags"
I got 3 more volunteers from ‘Target’, Mary, Eddie and Priscilla and I asked Eddie and Priscilla to start stringing the bags together while Mary went for recruiting.  I learned that Mary was in “HR” at ‘Target’ and I told her how much I appreciated their help for the MLK Celebration of Service project that ‘Chicago Cares’ runs every year and their overall philosophy towards volunteering.  Xiao Mei has a daughter in high school and she mentioned how she had found this opportunity on “Volunteer Match”.  I told her about some of the other projects that she and her daughter could do together, like “Pet Therapy”. I saw one of my Committee members doing “Scavenger Hunt”, where making “Luminaria” was one of the blocks.  I told her to send over people.  In fact, I even walked over to “Accounting” and told the ladies there to send people over.  Hey, I was trying.

I was chatting with Mary regarding the weather and she said that she would do a “reverse rain dance”.  I said that in case of rain we would move everything to the “Survivor Tent”, similar to what we did for “Walk and Roll”.  Lot of people were coming over and we were busy stringing the bags together.  The walk was starting at 10 am and I said at 9:15 that we should go over to the fence and start tying the bags to the fence.  It was some distance away and would take us a while to get there.  However, since we still had a crowd, I left behind Priscilla and another ‘Target’ volunteer who had joined us – with her 2 kids – and the rest of us left for the fence.

We had to go around ‘Soldier Field’ and it had just started to drizzle when we arrived at our fence.  We started putting the bags on the fence and in some cases it was difficult to tie due to shorter string.  But my team was doing a good job and soon we had the entire fence covered.  I was amazed that the tape was working, though Mary said that we should use stapler and thicker ribbon next year.  However, our main concern now was that the drizzle was getting stronger and bags were getting wet.  We weren’t done with all the bags yet, but I told everyone to call it quits and we started walking back.  We were halfway back when the rain stopped and my team said that we should return to our fence and finish the job.  They said that people had worked hard to make this and we owed it to them.  
Despite the rain, my team did a terrific job

While my team put the remaining bags on another fence perpendicular to the main one, I had to go around the fence to a field in the back and collect all the bags that had come off and were now littering the grounds.  By the time I came back they were completely ruined.  We had done the best we could and came back to our table.  I said that around 11:30 am, we would all go back to remove the bags.  This way majority of the walkers would have seen and appreciated it.  We would of course have to throw all the bags away since they were now wet.  I walked about a bit to see the “Survivor Tent” and some of the other areas.  I saw the lady from two years ago, the one with the “Croatian” shirt.  Just as I came back to the “Information Tent”, the rain arrived, and it was a deluge. 

It was getting torrential and I felt bad for the walkers, most of who were still on the course.  No wonder I had seen some of them running the course, rather than walking.  Carrie told us to call it quits and asked the event to be shut down.  I was watching the radar on the phone and said that it would be fine in 15 minutes and it was.   But all the other tents were coming off, including one which flew away and turned upside down.  Fortunately no one was injured.  As the rain stopped, I went around to look for Mary so that we could take the bags down.  I saw her coming over and she was soaked.  She said that she had already done that and all the bags were thrown away.  Wow, what a lady.  I took Carolyn with me and we walked about the field at the back and picked up the bags which had flown away.  It took time to clean and we were doing our best to avoid the puddles.  Soon we were done and I said bye to Carolyn and left.  My team had done a great job…all of them.  Thus finished another year of me being on the Committee.  Who knows if I will be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment