Adler After Dark

Location: Adler Planetarium
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2016; 5:30-10:00 pm

The theme for tonight was "Stellar Speakeasy" and had been sold out quite quickly.  I arrived and as per the new protocol, had to sign-in with a security guard to get the pass code for staff area.  It seemed a bit excessive, but whatever.  I went down and after checking in, joined my colleagues in the breakroom, just as Michael gathered us around.  Tonight was heavy in terms of science, which was great.  We went over the experiments, the first being “Hoberman Sphere”, the expanding plastic sphere that the kids have so much fun with.  The idea was to let guests play with it and explain the concept of an expanding universe while galaxies - represented by plastic diamonds on the sphere - stayed the same size.  This was because of “Dark Energy”, which we can't see but has been predicted.  We were also to demonstrate another concept - the collapse of a star - through this sphere folding when dropped, which was dramatic to say the least.

Next was a demonstration of "Gravitational Lensing" or "Einstein Rings", where light is bent around an object which you can't see, and is termed as "Dark Matter".  We demonstrated that through laser pointers and a convex lens, which would change the laser pattern on the wall when projected through the lens.  Another demonstration was of the recently proved "Gravitational Waves", which travel through the fabric of “space-time”. Einstein had predicted these in 30s, but could never prove it.  Finally, we had the sophisticated instruments that could record at milliseconds intervals and prove something that even he thought was unprovable.  “What does he know”, someone said!

We then saw the demo of "wireless", using an audio source, which was Michael’s phone.  We had fun teasing him, saying things like if his mom calls, we should mention that he's with a parole officer etc.  We also had a speaker with a photodetector and laser, which transmitted the sound waves to the speaker when focused on the detector, using mirrors - similar to a satellite.  I had done this experiment once before, with limited success.  It was now time for walking tour and we started with the wireless and the “gravitational wave” station followed by the community classroom where “Frank Lloyd Wright Trust” would be making “stained glass windows” from paper.

'Hoberman Sphere'
As a surprise, Michael had arranged for us all to take turns attending the lectures in “Johnson Theater” and I was scheduled at 7 pm to attend a lecture on “Distilling”.  I thought this was a brilliant idea for volunteer perks and said so.  It was time to start and my first shift was “pocket science” with the “Hoberman Sphere”.  I walked about the top floor and people had come out fully decked in their best “Speakeasy” attire.  I went to “Mission Moon” section and engaged a couple of guests in a discussion on the “Expanding Universe” using the sphere.  The idea was to let them play with the prop as I educated them.  They enjoyed it a lot and I also took the opportunity to show them the “Gemini Capsule”.  I was getting some traffic for this activity and felt that the people were learning through my questions.  I would ask them what was happening and they would say that the sphere was expanding.  I would follow up by asking what else expands and that would lead to the universe discussion.  Then I would talk about the galaxies and eventually “Dark Energy”.  I would then end with them dropping the sphere to the ground and watch it collapse.  Then I would ask them what else collapsed and lead them to the stars.  I would say that this could be the fate of our sun one day and that they shouldn't be in the neighborhood when that happened.  I then said that come that day, I would probably be still doing this explanation.  Yeah, I am a comedian.

It was 7 pm and I proceeded downstairs for the talk in “Johnson Theater”, and it was from ‘Koval Distillery’ on their bourbon making process.  The guy giving the talk was a bit uninspiring and I saw many people leave during the early part of the lecture.  But after an uninspiring start he got going, no holds barred, on some of the more interesting things going on in the distillery.  I mentioned to my colleague who was with me that I hoped none of his bosses were here!  The lecture was over well before the hour was up and I had 20 minutes to kill.  I went to the staff area and Michael was there on a break.  I asked him when the next Council meeting would be and he said that it was on a temporary hiatus, which was a bit surprising to me because I thought that we had done some good work.

At 8 pm I went over to the “Gravitational Wave” station and saw that the staff facilitator was having the guests hold 4 corners of a black sheet, which was the “space-time fabric”.  She would then ask them to toss in pool-table balls and as they came together in a spiral manner, she would talk about the physics behind this experiment.  After she was done, I talked about how we had detected the merger of 2 “Black Holes” and how their combined mass was slightly lower than their individual masses, meaning excess was given out as energy travelling at the speed of light; as “gravitational waves”“E=MC2, indeed.  We did the routine with a couple of groups and then the facilitator left and was replaced by another staff member.  He was even better at this and demonstrated the concept of a “black hole” using a really heavy ball which sank in the cloth.  He also deferred to me to talk about the detection of the “gravitational waves”, which I termed the "finest measurement ever taken".

The hour went by quite fast and At 9 pm I went for my last shift, which was "Scavenger Hunt".  The idea was that in the spirit of “Speakeasy”, the entry to an "exclusive bar" – located within “Planet Explorer’s” section - was via a password.  The only way to get that password was through fulfilling the requirements of this hunt, which was showing the visitors photos of different locations in and around Adler and they had to identify them.  I was paired with another volunteer and our table was right next to the band playing “20s jazz”, complete with dancing.  People would come and show us pictures of the locations and I would then give them a small paper with the password, which was "juice joint".  All in all people just wanted to get into that bar, which was exactly like any other bar in the cafe.  Aah well, people just like the chase I suppose.  Some pleaded with us for the password and we were a bit accommodating by giving them hints.  Considering that 2 of the locations were of the exterior and right behind us, it wasn't that difficult. 

Around 9:40 pm, Michael came to get us and our task was to help with the cleanup at the “stained glass” program.  I saw that the people had been creative and as we cleaned up, I chatted with the staff members of the “Frank Lloyd Wright Trust”.  They told me that they do this program in schools and other museums.  There was a wall where people were drawing their interpretations of the mysterious “Planet 9” and it was hilarious, with everything from aliens to Pluto to even the Sun wearing sunglasses; and someone had even drawn their mom.  What?  I helped with wiping down the tables and picking up the litter from the floor, after which I left - an exhausting, yet fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment