Just For Starters Bingo

Location: The Imperial Nursing Home
Date: Thursday, January 07, 2016; 6:30-7:40 pm

It was first Thursday of the year, meaning I was going to Imperial for Bingo, like I have done the previous years.  I arrived and saw that Celene was there along with Vita, who I believe comes here for every session.  Celene said that there were 5 others signed up and it was the usual New Year’s resolution thing.  While we did not get all 5 – surprise surprise - 2 new girls did show up. Celene talked with the 2 new volunteers as Vita and I went inside.  The Bingo room was full and I saw Polly and went over to chat with her.  She recognized me and said that it had been a long time.  I said yes indeed as I grabbed a chair and sat next to her.  She looked like she was getting on in years, but just as sharp as ever

Also present at our table was another lady and when I asked Polly how her new year’s was going so far, the lady said, “I’m alive”.  I said that people forget that and they shouldn’t.  She said that she was a 30 year cancer “survivor”, had been blind earlier and also survived a stroke.  She said she had over 15 grandchildren who lived in Omaha but she had never met them.  Talk about a strong woman!  I asked Polly how her Christmas had been and she said nothing special.  Though one of her friends had come over a couple of days after Christmas with some nice dinner.  I asked what was in it and she said “Cornish Hen”

Loved the prizes for this evening
It was warm and Polly asked me to help remove her cardigan, which wasn’t the easiest of tasks considering that she wasn't very mobile.  Celene asked if I could help distribute the prizes and I said certainly.  She handed me a bag and went over to call the game.  Polly was indeed sharp and did not need any help with the numbers, though Celene was really going fast.  Soon, someone won and I went over with my bag and showed them the selections, which ranged from “fluffy animals”, to “word search” books, to socks, to hand lotions and face creams and candy etc.  People were taking their time choosing and I was moving around the room presenting them with options.  In fact, Polly said that I was getting my exercise in!  She was also clearing my board while I distributed the prizes. 

While I was away on one of my distributions, I won and I said that this is what was required – me being away.  I offered my prize to Polly and she took batteries – though she said that she had no use for them. She won again and this time took a case for eyeglasses. The game was progressing fast and very soon we were out of prizes.  I asked Polly if she needed a push back and she said yes.  I took her to the elevator and then a nursing assistant took her inside.  I was hanging on to her bag and before going inside the elevator, she reminded me to give it to her.  I dropped another resident off and then left after a fun evening.

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment