Dinner At The Wells Street Cafe

Location: Breaking Bread Ministries/LaSalle Street Church
Date: Wednesday, February 03, 2016; 5:45-8:15 pm

I arrived to see that little Hannah was checking-in some new volunteers.  I couldn’t spot Marianne and asked where she was.  I was told that she was recovering after getting some stitches, though it wasn’t clear where or for what.  After cleaning up I went and asked Chef Dan where I could contribute and he pointed me to a station where some garlic was being mixed with butter to make, well, “garlic butter”.  There were several rolls of baguette and I took over the task of cutting them.  A fellow volunteer was brushing the freshly made butter on the bread slices as soon as I placed them on a sheet pan.  With 4 pans of “garlic bread” ready, we placed them on a rack, waiting for the right moment to put them inside the oven.

"Ambrosia Salad"
I saw that a duo was making some sort of fruit salad with “Cool Whip” and marshmallows and they mentioned that it was “Ambrosia Salad”.  I went outside and saw that one of the guests with whom I usually converse with was in attendance.  I had not seen him for a long while and so we chatted for a bit before going back in to start toasting the bread.  Chef told me to put it in the oven for 5 minutes and then turn the trays around and then toast for an additional 5 minutes.  With my instructions in place, I watched over the oven while John – who had taken over the leadership duties for this evening - addressed the volunteers, especially the new ones.  The toasts were ready soon and I took them out, before joining John and the group for conclusion and prayer, which was led by the chef.  I joked that it must be strange for a chef to see everyone praying before a meal that he has prepared.

We went outside and I was on plating.  The menu was “spaghetti with turkey meat sauce”, “peas in Mornay sauce”, “garlic toast” and then “ambrosia salad” as dessert.  The dessert was going to be served in a big bowl at the center of the table, meaning that we would be bringing back filled bowls back and throwing them away.  Once again I asked the chef why not serve this in individual bowls and he said that having a common bowl would mean many folks stay back at the table to share, rather than just leave.  I wasn’t too sure about that.  I was on plating the peas with the cheese sauce and it was “seizing” as it cooled and was sticking to the ladle.  We got 60 odd plates out and then I moved to counting the volunteer meals and seconds.  We didn’t have that many people come back though. 

We had some of the dessert left to hand out and as I had predicted, volunteers were bringing back filled bowls from the tables.  They were putting them amongst the seconds and I had to tell them that once something comes back, we cannot serve it again, but had to throw it away.  I went over to help with the cleanup by stacking and moving chairs and we were done earlier than usual.  Hannah wasn’t feeling her best and John mentioned that she was a bit overwhelmed with schoolwork and other activities like sports etc.  Once again, I told her not to grow up too fast and enjoy everything.  Soon these days would be gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment