Making Strides Against Breast Cancer


Location: Montrose Harbor
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2012; 10am-12 pm

I signed up for this event after seeing a pamphlet, though I do not remember if it was inside a coffee shop or in a CTA train.  It was a 5K walk organized by the American Cancer Society and was scheduled for a Saturday morning at Montrose Harbor.  I had never been to that location before and once again miscalculated the time it would take me to get there from the train station.  As such, I had to rush for the last 1 mile and by the time I arrived at the start line, the last of the walkers were setting off. 
I was amongst the last to start

I collected my shirt and joined the other walkers on the trail, most of whom were clad in brilliant pink.  Unlike the AIDS walk route, which provided great views of the city, this one was through a park adjacent to the Montrose beach.  This meant that for part of the walk, we were right next to the beach.  The weather was nice that day and looking out at the lake beyond the beach was just the start I needed. But once again the inspiration was not in the view, but the people.

The trail went right by the beach
I had been impressed and moved by the number of people who had done the AIDS walk as a part of tribute for someone they knew or cared about.  That sentiment was heightened at this event.  There were groups of people supporting a loved one, groups representing organizations and most importantly, hundreds of survivors.  Many women who had defeated breast cancer were walking with their family and friends and everyone was celebrating the advances that we have made in detection, cure and rehabilitation of the women affected by this disease.  Above all, thing which all of us should be most proud of is the awareness that events like these generate.  All of us walking together, side-by-side with survivors was a statement that, as a society we have realized the seriousness of the affliction, are making sure that we advocate the importance of early detection and are making an effort to raise money and support for finding a cure.
Yes, everyone did their bit

Similar to the cheerleader support that walkers received at the AIDS walk, there were many who were on the side of the trail applauding us at various points.  “You’re my hero”, a little girl yelled out to me as I walked past her.  At first I thought, “No way, the survivors are real heroes”, but I guess I was.  Everyone who had come out that day is a hero, those whose lives have been affected as well as those whose lives have not.  Every man has had a woman in his life - mother, sister, significant other, friend etc.  Each and every one of them could be at risk, and that makes it every man’s problem as well.  All of us who were out there realized that, and in our own small way were trying to make a difference.  That does make us all heroes.

Miles to go, but we're all in this together
As I made my way through the people on the trail, I came across a girl wearing a jersey of my beloved New England Patriots football team.  “There aren’t many of us here”, I said.  She gave me a puzzled look since she thought I was referring to the walkers, and there were certainly a lot of them.  “I mean, Patriots fans”, I said.  She smiled, we talked about the upcoming game and I walked away.  Then I realized that either ways I may have been right.  Sure there were a lot of walkers, but it is still not enough. A lot of work is still required. A day may come when walks such as these will be for celebration and remembrance rather than awareness and fund-raising.  But this is certainly a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment