Causemopolitan Benefiting Spark Ventures


Location: Bull & Bear
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2013; 6:00-9:00 pm

I was forwarded a link to this event, and decided to take a night off from Chicago Cares and check it out.  It was essentially a ticketed networking event, with proceeds benefiting a Chicago-based nonprofit called SparkVentures.  I am not very comfortable at casual networking events, but thought it would be a good avenue to learn more about Spark Venture’s cause. 

Nice caption
I arrived at Bull & Bear, which is one of Chicago’s premiere Sports bars a little before 6 pm.  I got the impression that our networking session was not something they were too keen on, since they asked me to stand aside and out of the way of paying customers.  I checked in again at 6 and they said I could go ahead and find other members wearing a similar wristband.  It was then that I realized that this was not going to be any sort of organized evening, but a session to mingle and network.  I was already regretting my decision to attend. 

I spotted some girls at a booth with poster boards for Spark Ventures and decided to go and talk with them.  I started talking with Stephanie, who was the leader of the group, and after seeing that I was not going to go away without getting full information, she went into details about what they do.  They work with organizations in developing countries to serve children.  Their's is a partnership with these grassroots organizations where they provide not only financial capital, but also strategic guidance and human resources.  The idea is to develop businesses that are sustainable and income generating.  The benefits are reaped by children and the communities they are in.  Their first such partnership is in Zambia, with Hope Ministries.  In 2011, Spark made $100,000 lead investment in a commercial poultry farm which is now generating revenues to help children over there.  After the successful implementation of this program, they are now embarking on a similar partnership in Nicaragua.  I asked Stephanie about volunteering opportunities and she said that most help is needed to trips to visit the partners on site and work in the community over there.  This was something I was unable to participate in at present, though I did sign up to be considered for their Jr. Board membership. 

Seeing that I had taken up enough of Stephanie’s time, I drifted away to ‘mingle’ the best I could.  While it is rare for me to engage strangers in conversations, I did meet two professionals who worked in companies supporting chemical research and development.  I mentioned that I had interacted with their organizations back in graduate school and we chatted for the next 30 minutes.  I noticed Stephanie standing by herself and went over to continue the conversation.  I asked about her background and she said that prior to Spark Ventures, she was working in a company that provided Microloans, a concept that I was not familiar with.  I learned that microloan is a small amount of money that is offered to individuals or groups in developing country to start or build a business.  Usually three figures, this sum could go a long way in helping them.  I asked Stephanie if the interest rate was low and she said on the contrary these had more stringent interest rates and payment schedule.  I was surprised at this, but she said that the thought was to get people educated on what it meant to borrow credit for a business.  This was not meant to be a charity, but a true loan.  This would force the people borrowing the money to be more fiscally responsible and truly think about a sustainable business.  It was really fascinating to hear about this and I told her so.

We continued our discussion around Spark Ventures and I asked her about their ‘Spark Stakeholders’ program, which is a monthly giving program to fund a child and provide for their nutrition, education and healthcare.  Depending on the level of sponsorship, starting at $10/month, up to $50/month, one could provide regular meals, primary school education and medical check-ups to children.  I have seen programs such as these before and have often contemplated participating.  However, unlike a one-time contribution, this involves recurring payments and I often wonder what would happen to a child if I stopped participating due to circumstances.  Is there not a Chinese saying about you being responsible for a life once you save it? And I knew I would feel terrible were I to be forced to abandon someone.  I mentioned about this dilemma to Stephanie and while she agreed with what I was saying, she mentioned that even one month’s contribution would make a difference and even if I were to stop, the child would not be abandoned; they would just find another sponsor. 

I thanked Stephanie once again and seeing that I was unlikely to network more that evening, moved to the exit.  As I put on my coat, once again I saw Stephanie back at the booth and went to wish her on her upcoming trip to Zambia.  As a final question I asked why someone should support children in a developing country when there is enough hunger over here, at home.  I mentioned how I see this every day with Chicago Cares and she agreed that we have work to do over here.  The difference is that there are organizations that are doing it in the US.  Someone has to have a global view and Spark Ventures is that company. I had learned a lot about them and their cause and Stephanie was indeed a great promoter. I left satisfied that the evening had been a success, once again my initial instincts having been proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment