Get Crafty!


Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Sunday, February 03, 2013; 2:30-4:00 pm

I had started with Chicago Cares by doing the occasional weekday project and then had moved to Saturday morning activities.  Now that the football season was over, I had free time on Sunday’s as well.  So I decided to sign up for this project for two reasons.  Wilson was going to be the Volunteer leader, which meant everyone was sure to have a good time and secondly, the title of the project ended with an exclamation mark, setting the bar of expectation very high for me!

Wilson had mentioned that we would be making Valentine’s Day cards and I for one was excited.  I like cards, and while I don’t spend hours at stores or gift shops reading every card, I appreciate a well written card.  There was a time when I used to buy cards with either a great picture on the front or a poignant or sweet message inside.  In fact, given a chance I would have liked to have worked in that industry, writing creative messages and designing cards for all occasions.  Giving cards is an expression of someone’s love and affection for the recipient; and there is something to be said about being a part of the process that enables that.  Well, this was going to be my opportunity.

I arrived to find that as usual, Wilson was well prepared and carrying loads of supplies that would have produced enough cards to serve the entire neighborhood.  There were different colored craft paper, punches and stamps, glitter glue and colored markers, stickers and other accessories – you name it and Wilson had it in his briefcase.  He said that besides the traditional cards, we would be making pop-up cards and asked if anyone wanted to attempt those.  Having taken a look at the instructions, there was no way that I would have finished on time and so I declined.  Fortunately, another volunteer Amanda took up that challenge. 

My Cards
As I was gathering some supplies, I was delighted to see my buddy Emma come into the room.  I immediately asked her to join me and she said that she was just going to watch.  She said that she rarely participates hands-on in any activities, but they always bring her out when something exciting is going on.  I said she was in the right place and told her I was going to make some great cards for her.  My first card was made out of yellow paper and after trimming the edges with a punch; I started putting some stickers in the front and used a stamp which said ‘Smile Like You Mean It’.  In the inside I stamped ‘My World Is Brighter Because Of You’ and another sticker and a stamped pattern on the top.  I noticed that Emma likes gems, so stuck a giant orange gem in the interior and presented the card for her approval.  She loved it and I said we were not done yet.  I asked what her favorite color was and she said it was Pink.  I took a pink paper and once again punched the edges into a curvy design.  Next I put some red stickers in the front and stamped ‘From The Heart’.  In the interior I put another gem and stamped ‘Because You Matter To Me’.  Finally I finished with  a rose pattern on the edges.  I gave this one to Emma and now she was totally won over.  My career as a card designer was off to a great start.

The best part of working with Emma is the stories.  I learned that Emma was one of six children, being the 4th in the group.  She mentioned her two older brothers Jim and Ray, who were in Florida and she told me about her youngest sister Mary, who was unfortunately killed by an errant driver.  I asked if she was close to Mary while growing up and she said yes, that she used to take care of her when Mary was little.  She once again mentioned that Mary was hit by a car and I said that we should make a card for Mary.  I selected red this time, with a green insert and using a variety of punches, gems, stickers and stamps, we got this one finished as well.

Amanda and Carlos' pop-up cards
Amanda, who was sitting at the same table as us, was working with another resident, Faye.  She had been joined by one of the Lakeview Staff members, Carlos, and they had made great progress on the pop-up cards.  We asked Emma about her favorite Valentine’s Day stories and when she hesitated, I teased her that she probably did not want us to know some private details.  She did talk about going for walks by the lake, though we were not sure if she meant Chicago or St. Louis.  Wherever it was, we should all be lucky to spend Valentine’s day like that.  I asked what she was going to do with her cards and she was surprised that I was going to let her keep them.  “Of course, they are all for you”, I said.  She mentioned that her daughter Sharon hangs cards and artifacts on a wall in her place and she would give these to her to do the same.  I said that she should keep at least one of the cards for herself, preferably the pink one.  I told Emma that I would be back tomorrow for Bingo night and after what had happened the last time, we were going to win for sure.  I also said that I wanted to hear more stories and she said that Sharon had a family book where she recorded all of their history and I said I wanted to see it someday.

The best cards that I have ever given out
Before saying goodbye to Emma, Wilson took a picture of the two of us with the cards.  Faye called me over and asked my name and made sure she got it right.  Both the ladies had enjoyed our company and Emma in particular was very happy with her three cards, still confirming with me that it was okay to keep them.  Before leaving Wilson asked if either Amanda or me wanted to accompany him to another project that evening.  The man has no limits.  I walked back with Amanda and we both were very happy with the joy that we had bought the residents. 

I have given several cards to people, friends and family, even signed on group cards for colleagues at work.  I believe that every card matters to its recipient and there is no wrong way of doing it.  Today was more special because while she may forget about it by the time we meet tomorrow, that moment when Emma's face had lit up had been priceless.  I really hope that the wonderful people who make greeting cards have an opportunity to experience some of the reactions that their work generates; or at least have someone tell them that they are making a difference.  


*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment