Celebration Of Service In Honor Of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. – Part 1


Location: Barry Elementary School
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2013; 7:30 am - 1:30 pm

Chicago Cares website had been promoting this event for a long time.  It was a marathon session scheduled to run for the entire morning of the 19th.  I did not know much about it and had in fact scheduled another project for this Saturday morning.  About 10 days prior to the event I was looking at the website and saw that they were still short a couple of volunteers.  I read the description again and saw that the only people eligible were those trained as Volunteer Leaders, and I was not.  However, I decided to send an email to Jessica, the person mentioned on the opportunity description, to ask if there was a way I could contribute.  Not too much time had gone by before I received a response – yes I could.

The words say it all
She said that while it was true that they only wanted volunteer leaders, there was no reason that I could not be trained.  There wasn’t much time left, but if I was committed towards participating, they would make it so.  I said yes and soon thereafter I was signed up to be at this opportunity.  I cancelled my previously scheduled project and waited for further instructions.  I was contacted by Rich Jablonski, who said that he would be coordinating my training.  He said there was a training program scheduled for one of the evenings, but I was doing another project then.  He even offered to come over to one of my project locations to train me after, but I did not want to make him come to me, when I could go to their office; especially since it was very close to my work place.  So we scheduled a session over lunch where I would go over to their office for an hour.

I arrived at their office at noon and met Rich, who turned out to be a very friendly person.  We went to his work area and he started explaining about the project.  Every year in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Chicago Cares and Target, come together to serve the community in a mega day of projects all across the city.  While Chicago Cares provides volunteers to lead the projects, Target commits employees by the thousands as volunteers who actually do the work.  This year we had 19 locations spread all over the neighborhoods and I was assigned to ‘Barry Elementary School’.  There were 4 projects to be done at that location and I would be leading one of them.  Thus, besides me there were 3 other volunteers and one volunteer leader to manage the 4 of us.  Plus there would be a Chicago Cares staff member on site to liaison with the school officials and to ensure we were getting all that we needed; and Rich would be coordinating the effort from Chicago Cares office location to ensure everything was running smoothly.  It looked like a very structured way of doing things and all that we would be responsible for was managing our individual project, leading the volunteers from Target and ensuring that the children had a great experience and school got the help that it needed.  No pressure.

Rich handed me a package of documents which described the projects and the school.  There were 4 main projects; two were projects to paint either the Classroom or Hallway, whereas the other two projects were with kids, one to run a Science Fair and other to do a Kids Olympics.  He asked if I was leaning towards any project in particular and I said that I may go for the science fair, though I would review all of the information first.  He asked if I had any prior leadership experience and I mentioned my professional career and some of the challenges and accomplishments therein. He seemed satisfied with my credentials and then took me through some questions to see how I would handle different situations were they to arise.  These were scenarios I could face with my volunteer staff, ranging from disinterested people to conflict management to lack of supplies to time management to even rudeness.  I gave him my answers and most of them were what he was looking for.  He gave me my Volunteer Leader shirt and I returned to my office with lots to think about. 

Target store the night before
Over the next few days I reviewed the project specifications and really the choice was very simple.  I am not athletically gifted, neither do I have any painting experience other than the one room I did for my graduate school buddy long time ago – and he still complaints about my work!  So this left me with the Science Fair and I decided to focus my attention on the specifics for that project.  There were 8 experiments/activities that we were to conduct, each at its own station: (1) Slime, (2) Handprint Tree, (3) Flower In A Cup, (4) Paper Airplane Physics, (5) Parachute Launch, (6) Whirlybird Helicopter, (7) Alka Seltzer Rockets and (8) Hoopster Airplane.  I had done Slime plenty of times and Handprint Tree and Paper Airplane looked straightforward.  However, some of the other things required great skill in making the props, something that I was severely lacking.  I crossed my fingers that the Target volunteers would be able to bail me out on this.  I called Rich a few days before the event and told him that I would like to conduct the Science Fair, though I would need a lot of help in the execution.  He assured me that’s what the Volunteers were there for and all I had to do was make sure everyone had fun.

The evening before the project, I was headed for an event at ‘The Art Institute Of Chicago’ and had some time to kill.  I don’t know why, but I visited the new Target store in the loop.  As I looked out on the street from the second floor, the giant target sign was hanging behind me.  Tomorrow I would be working with people from this organization, helping them conduct a project that was a part of a very special occasion.  I was excited, but at the same time aware of my responsibility.  It had been only 4 months since I had started with Chicago Cares, but what a journey it has been.  Now for the first time, I was going to have the privilege of being a Volunteer Leader.  

No comments:

Post a Comment