March Madness! Rock-Paper-Scissors Tourney


Location: Old Town Pour House
Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2013; 7:00-9:00 pm

The first time I heard about One Brick was when Wilson asked Amanda if she was going to come participate in the Rock-Paper-Scissors Tournament.  That night as I checked out the website, I noticed this event and immediately sent Wilson an email saying that he had to get me in, well in for the Happy Hour, not necessarily the tournament.  With a few One Brick events under my belt, I was looking forward to attending and socializing with the other volunteers.  Plus, Wilson had told me that these people took their Rock-Paper-Scissors very seriously and I wanted to see that first-hand. 

March Madness!
Not having grown up in the US, this American institution of Rock-Paper-Scissors was quite unfamiliar to me.  Not only is it one of the peaceful ways for people to resolve their differences and reach a decision – we used to flip a coin – but it has also evolved into an International Competition.  I remember seeing an article in one of the in-flight magazines about the strategies that people employ for this game, though I had failed to memorize them.  Thus, I arrived at the venue with no knowledge or intention of playing.  I saw some of the usual members from One Brick and upon introductions; many recognized me as the ‘newsletter writer’.  I do not remember accepting that position, but apparently others had already assigned me to that role.  Soon we were joined by Irina and Wilson. 

In one corner of the room, a bracket had been mounted for people to sign-up for the tournament.  Seeing the people rush to put their name down, one would have thought this was some sort of a lucky draw for concert tickets.  I was happy to stand aside and watch them, but soon they realized that they were two people short, and Wilson tried to recruit me and Irina into playing.  Reluctantly I agreed and the first round of the tournament began.  I was playing against Irina and the winner would be determined by a best of three.  I proceeded to lose in two and thought I was eliminated.  But for some reason they had another round with all the same participants and I proceeded to lose in two again.  Wilson, who was supposed to be taking pictures for the One Brick photo gallery, had been caught up in the tournament and only realized after most of the tournament had been played that he had forgotten to  take pictures.  He asked me and Irina to pose for a few pictures and as we played a ‘mock game’, I lost each round of that as well.  I had managed to lose each and every round, not just game, but each round of the event tonight!

Tonight’s event was not just a opportunity to socialize and play a tournament, it was also a fund raiser for One Brick.  We had all pitched in for entry and all that money was going to pay in parts for all of the activities that One Brick does.  This is a Volunteer-Run Volunteer Organization, and as such, does not have a physical office or even a telephone number.  According to their website, “On a National level, we only have a single part-time employee who works from home and is responsible for paying the bills, dealing with legal and regulatory filings and ensuring the whole thing stays together. Everything else we do is facilitated by a team of volunteers working together to make a difference. Their efforts are returned exponentially with the impact we have on our communities.”  It started back in December 2001 in San Francisco and now has more than 10 chapters, including the one in Chicago.  The websites goes on to elaborate on the principles under which One Brick operates: “Every One Brick project we arrange is treated as a stand-alone event. Our 'commitment-free volunteering' allows people to choose when they volunteer, rather than having to make commitments for a certain number of volunteer hours, or agree to be available every week at a specific time. This flexibility makes volunteering convenient and provides opportunities to help when time and schedule commitments allow. This keeps volunteering from being a chore, but rather makes it an easy and enjoyable choice.”  This model has to date, led to One Brick completing 12,861 events, delivering 465,910 hours of community service!`

Of those 12,861 events, one of the Volunteers, Gary, has attended 300.  He was honored tonight for his 300th event and was presented with a certificate.  It was not in an expensive frame, neither was it signed by a Governor.  But all in the room understood its significance.  I asked Wilson how many One Brick events he had attended and he said only a 100 or so.  Considering he does lots of other things, we can perhaps give him a pass on this one. 

I left with Irina and we were having a light supper at a nearby restaurant and discussing One Brick and volunteering in general.  I told Irina about the wall in my cubicle and how I have filled it with pictures and souvenirs from my volunteering events.  She asked me what my colleagues think of that and I said that they maybe consider me to be an eccentric and probably do not bother to notice or even care.  She shook her head and said that whether I knew or even realized this or not, I was noticed and people would definitely know about what I was doing.  In either case, it has never been my intention to be noticed, though at every opportunity, I try to promote some of the causes. 

My Wall
The next day I was filling out a survey for a student who had requested help with a thesis on volunteering.  She wanted to know why people volunteer.  Quite honestly, I volunteer because I can.  I have said it before, I volunteer because I have time and because the more I do it; the more I realize how much help is needed by people in our community.  Somebody has to do it, and just as One Brick say’s in its charter, volunteering should not be a chore.  It never has been for me.  I looked at the wall in my cubicle, now full of color and one of Wilson’s question's came back to me.  He had once asked me how much Arts and Crafts I had done prior to Chicago Cares and I had said none since early school.  Now I cannot wait for those projects.  My colleagues had always said that my workspace often looked dull and without color.  Now its looks like a child’s play room.  And I am proud of it. 

People often say how much they admire my work and how sorry they are for being unable to give so much time to these causes.  I tell them there is nothing to be sorry about.  Everyone does what they can and it doesn’t matter whether you do it for an hour or for 100 hours, it is the thought that counts.  I repeat, I do it because I can.  I will never think anything less of someone who has never volunteered, though they are missing out on an enriching experience.  Then when they ask me why I volunteer so much, I smile and I respond; “I volunteer so that you don’t have to”.

No comments:

Post a Comment