The Glass Slipper Project® – Boutique Set-Up


Location: McCorkle School
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2013; 12:30-2:00 pm

“Once upon a time in a faraway land, there was a tiny kingdom, peaceful, prosperous, and rich in romance and tradition.  Here in a stately chateau, there lived a widowed gentleman and his little daughter, Cinderella “

With these words starts one of the most beloved fairy tales of all time.  The reason why people love fairy tales so much is the simplicity of its plot.  It usually starts with some innocence being lost and the obstacles that the character eventually overcomes to find the happiness that they deserve.  No matter what the cynics of the world may say, everyone loves a story with a happy ending, and I for one do not want to live in a world devoid of fairy tales.  One of the more charming things about the story of Cinderella, is that the term ‘Glass Slipper’ has been forever associated with magical fairy tales and it is the symbol of a hope that someday your dreams and wishes will come true.  Back in graduate school, besides the photo frames, a glass slipper was one of the two other things that I had on display in my apartment.  Every time I looked at it, was a reminder of the same and it never failed to bring a smile to my face.  So when I heard that there was a project bearing the same name, I just had to get involved. 

The glass slipper
I found out about this through a friend and the name alone won me over.  I went to the website to learn more.  It says, The Glass Slipper Project® is a non-profit organization that gives away free prom dresses and accessories to high school juniors and seniors in the Chicagoland and surrounding areas.  The Glass Slipper Project collects new and almost-new formal dresses and accessories and provides them, free of charge, to students who are unable to purchase their own prom attire.  Students do not need to prove any type of financial hardship in order to get a dress from us.”  What an incredible idea.  Through my time with Chicago Cares and others, I have been involved with causes such as Hunger and Homelessness as well as Senior Citizens and Mentoring.  But this was so unique that the nobility of it all meant that if I could do something for them; it would be one of the proudest things of my life.  Volunteers should not just be needed during difficult and trying times.  There’s something special about being involved with a project whose outcome was to spread joy.  Kudos to those who came up with this concept and yes I will say it again, ‘Everywhere life is full of heroism’.

They were having three boutique days in April and May, during which time they would be distributing dresses and accessories to student girls; and also providing them individual assistance from a volunteer ‘personal shopper’.  Whatever the girl wanted was going to be given to her, provided it was in the boutique.  Now, obviously the organizers needed only female volunteers as personal shoppers, as well as women and girls with skills in sewing and alterations.  However, male volunteers were allowed to attend the boutique set-up and dismantling days, and today was the set-up day.  Hence I was allowed to sign-up.  My shift was supposed to run from 12:30 pm to 5 pm, but a couple of days prior, I received an email that they were starting at 8 am and were expecting to be done by 2 pm.  Because of my Chicago Cares commitment, I could not attend the morning session and due to the distance between the two locations, wasn't expecting to contribute much time before they closed.  But I wanted to do something, and so I told the organizers that I would try to get there as soon as possible.  Thanks to the early completion of my morning project and the ride from Sandy, I arrived at the location around noon. 

This school was in middle of nowhere on the South side, and I was thankful for the ride.  I walked in through the side entrance and saw a big dining room where people were having lunch.  Apparently, the volunteers were going to be provided lunch and I was famished.  But I was also late as per the new schedule and wanted to get to whatever task they had assigned to me.  I was sent upstairs and met one of the leaders, who asked me to go into one of the several rooms and start sorting dresses.  Each room contained dresses of a particular size and there were several racks in each of them, each rack carrying several dresses.  My job was to make sure each dress on the rack was facing the right direction and none of the hangers were entangled with the dresses.  Seemed straightforward enough and I started looking for a room which did not have a volunteer who was already doing the same thing.  I found one and walked in to see hundreds of dresses, all arranged in racks distinguished by shades of the same color.  There were reds and yellows and blues and greens and purples - every color of the spectrum.  Sorting through them was going to take much longer than I had initially anticipated. 

Rows and rows of dresses
As I started checking the dresses and correcting those which were not arranged as per the requirement, I realized how heavy some of these dresses could get.  While most of the dresses were lovely and were sure to make some girl really happy, it was a tedious job.  Fortunately they had a radio playing in each room and whether by design or coincidence, the song that kept repeating was the ‘Thrift Song’.  Talk about being inappropriately accurate!  As I moved from rack to rack, I couldn’t help but admire the quality of the dresses.  These were not your typical hand me downs, but something any girl could be proud of.  I guarantee that all the girls were going to look terrific at their prom.  Prom, a concept that is quite alien to me, not having grown up in this country.  But from everything I have heard and seen, it is a big deal for all the teenagers and I was really happy to help. 

That one room took me over an hour and once I was done, I walked out to see if there was any other task that I could do.  One of the other volunteers told me that I could help in restocking the dresses that were on the racks outside the rooms.  They needed to be sorted by size and stocked in the appropriate room and in the rack with similar shade.  By now it should be apparent that I was the only male volunteer in the school that day and so I had to get some help in making sure I was doing the right thing.  Soon that was done as well and we were ready to leave. The leader thanked us and said that they required a lot of help during the boutique days, especially for sewing projects.  They said that even I could come, as long as I stayed on the first floor and helped with registration and front desk – only women being allowed on the 2nd floor.  I said that there were a lot of dresses and the leader said it wasn't nearly enough.  All of the dresses were donated by individuals and stores, but they still needed other accessories like make-up and shoes.  They were expecting to serve over 1,700 girls and needed a lot of help in doing that. 

And in each case they lived happily ever after...
As I took a bus back into town that day, I realized how even my minor contribution of arranging the dresses was going to help.  The girls who would be visiting had to feel as if they were in a real boutique, not a school classroom.  We owed it to them to not be sloppy.  I have been proud of all the projects that I have done and it had been a privilege to do this one.  Some of these girls may  come from difficult backgrounds, but this project - at least for a short while - allows them to be treated like the Princesses that they are.  There is a reason why all great stories start with the words ‘Once upon a time…’ before they get grim for a while.  That’s the path everyone has to take, because at the end, each of these stories also conclude with ‘…they lived happily ever after’.

''He took her hand, and he kissed it.  Then he swooped her up onto his horse. And the beautiful Princess and the handsome Prince rode off to his castle...where they lived happily ever after.''

No comments:

Post a Comment