Senior Breakfast Club


Location: Mary Hartwell Catherwood Apartments
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2013; 9:00 am-12:00 pm

This was the first stop of my 5-project weekend, including a ‘Super Sunday’ with three back-to-back-to-back projects, but more on that later.  I had been to this location twice before and on each occasion have had trouble getting here.  First time was me missing my CTA stop and last month it was me walking in the opposite direction.  This time I walked through the wrong entrance and had to retrace my steps to find the right one.  Now, this place is not exactly the ‘Room of Requirement’ and so there should really be no reason for me to get lost every time.  I guess some things never change.

The Orange juice
I went inside and spotted the usual crew with Sandy, Toby, LaKeith, Sarah, Sonia and Andrew.  The cooking was already underway and I looked at what I could do.  One of the new volunteers was serving Orange Juice and I said I could help with that.  So I started my regular duty of walking around with a container of Orange Juice and cups.  I stopped by to chat with my old pal Barry, and asked him if he had been playing music recently.  He told me that he had recently purchased a piano for his apartment and while it had cost him $800, he was happy to be playing.  Having heard him talk about music before, I was happy that he had invested in this piano.  I am sure that it was one of the few bright spots that he had in his daily life, which was dictated by a dialysis schedule. 

Next I met a lady whom I hadn't seen before.  She introduced herself as Maria and said she was from Philippines.  She asked my name and when I told her, she  mentioned that it was very unique.  I said indeed it was and told her how Barry had once asked if it was Irish!  I wished Georgia,  who is always in great spirits, and as I made my way through the crowd, many were already asking for seconds on the juice.  By this time the coffee was ready and I started distributing cups amongst the residents.  Some of the ladies were a bit demanding today, insisting that I bring them the creamer immediately, when I told them it would be a minute.  While it’s easy to get annoyed, one must remember the reason why we were here – to serve them and give them a great experience this Saturday.  This means that even if they said the coffee was not as hot as it should be, it was my job to heat it up – no if’s or but’s. 

And the coffee
In terms of efficiency, everything was moving quite fast today and very soon we were ready to serve breakfast.  As is usually the case, we formed a line with plates and moved from station to station, while the servers put eggs, sausages, biscuits and potatoes in them.  I barely had to make a few trips and soon everyone had been served.  I started making rounds to see if anyone needed more juice and at one stage had to get around Sonia who was in the way.  As I waved my hands, she asked if I was gesturing to get a hug.  This led to me telling them the story of the ‘Professional Hugger’, whom I had met on Wednesday and someone mentioned that perhaps we should get him to come here for next month’s breakfast club!

While the resident’s ate, I had an opportunity to try some of the excellent chocolate chip and oatmeal resin cookies that Sandy had made.  One of the things she does without fail is get something for the residents – and volunteers – each month.  Since I had to immediately head to my next project after this, the cookies would have to suffice as lunch and I could really do much worse than that!  By this time the residents were done with eating, and we started taking the dishes away so that they could prepare for Bingo.  This also meant that time had come for me to start cleaning the serving and cooking vessels.  It is interesting, and somewhat flattering, that the rest are so used to me doing this task that they assume I will move toward the sink.  In a way it’s a sign that they consider me a part of their ‘monthly club’.  This time I was sharing the duties with another volunteer, Tad, who is also a regular at doing the dishes during the days when I’m missing.  He took over the rinsing duties while I started scrubbing the stubborn eggs and potatoes trays.  Every month it’s the same story with these ones, and I mentioned to Sandy that perhaps we could think of lining them with some sort of non-stick paper next time so as to avoid this scrubbing.  She pondered on that and may actually implement it. 

In the meanwhile Bingo was in full flow with LaKeith, and later Andrew, calling the games.  Perhaps they were going at a rapid rate or I was slow in washing, but they were almost down to final few games when I joined them in the main room.  I walked around to see how everyone was doing and asked Maria if she was winning.  Seeing that I had stopped to chat with her, Sonia told me that Maria had introduced the man sitting on the next seat as her son.  Now, this gentleman looked like he was as old as Maria and so Sonia had difficult time believing her.  I said he could be her stepson from a second marriage, at which we had a big laugh. 

Since the game was winding down, I told Sandy that I had to get way downtown for my next project and so may leave early.  She said that since she was headed to South suburbs, she could drop me off on her way home.  The Bingo game was over and we were ready to leave.  Barry said that he would see me next month and I replied that unfortunately, I would not be able to return for a couple of months.  His response was, “God bless you, wherever you are”.  With those words he left to play on his piano and sing, something that I hope I get to hear soon. 

I rode to my next project with Sandy and was surprised to learn that she worked for ComEd and was in the same industry as me.  We spoke about the Energy business and about volunteering and she told me that she has been coming to this program for the past six years.  I asked how she had started and she said that it was through a program with her then company and that she had never stopped.  I said it was remarkable that she came all the way uptown from her home in South suburbs, especially last month when she drove up to drop-off the pound cake and left since she was sick.  She said it was because of the friendships she had made.  She knows that someday her closest friends in the apartments will be gone, but she was too involved now.  We found the place I was supposed to go to next and as she dropped me off, I got a distinct feeling that as far as she was concerned, I was one of the ‘in-crowd’ for this project.  Last few months have reaffirmed many things.  One of them is the old adage that respect is never given easily, and needs to be earned.  But I had always known that.  What I hadn't known is that if you do things without actively seeking respect, it comes when you least expect it.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment