Lincoln Park Conservatory

Location: Lincoln Park Conservatory
Date: Saturday, April 20, 2013; 9:00 am-12:00 pm

In was a terrific Saturday morning as I set off for the Lincoln Conservatory.  I had been to Lincoln Park several times, but never to the Conservatory.  I arrived early and stood admiring the city view from the lawn, waiting for the doors to open.  It seemed like a perfect day to be working on a nature project, my first such endeavor through Chicago Cares.  By the end of this one, not only was I the most exhausted that I have ever been after a Chicago Cares project, I was covered in mud from head to toe and would need to shower again and throw out my shoes.  Oh joy!

Sunrise over the conservatory
Exactly at 9 am they started letting us in and I joined the other volunteers inside.  Besides our Volunteer leader Dave, there was another Dave, who also leads this project at times.  There were three other volunteers, including a lady Linda.  Both Dave’s have been helping out in the conservatory for over 6 years and are quite familiar with the place as well as the staff.  One of them, Jen, would be guiding us this morning.  After dropping off our stuff in her office, she took us for our first task, which was plucking flowers stems of a species of plants.  The plant blooms only for a few weeks in the year and now the time had passed.  In order to prepare for the cycle the following year, we needed to clean up the plant by removing flower stems and rendering it totally bare.  Some of the flowers had already fallen off, while some were shriveled.  But some were still in glorious bloom and it was a shame that we would have to take them off.  But Jen knew more about this than us and so that’s what we did.  Although the plant was quite dense to work with, this task wasn't exactly Repotting the Mandrakes.  It still involved a lot of plucking and moving around the plant.  Dave was playing the radio to keep us entertained, and while I prefer chatting with my fellow volunteers, this was by and large a very quiet group.

The plant before plucking
It took me over an hour to finish plucking my plant and was looking to move to another one.  In the meanwhile the other Dave and Linda had been called for another project and he had come asking if anyone could join them and help.  I raised my hand and what followed was the most uncomfortable session of my Chicago Cares career.  The project was digging the bed in Orchid garden.  I went and saw that Dave had a shovel in hand and looked exhausted.  There were several problems, one of which was a stone ledge, and the bed which we had to dig was between this ledge and the wall, making it an awkward angle.  Furthermore, the soil was wet and sticky and not very easy to remove.  While Dave was digging and scooping into a bucket, Linda would have to scrape off the wet soil sticking to the shovel – which was not as easy as it sounds.  The buckets, which filled up quite fast, then had to be taken to a hopper and emptied by lifting them up almost shoulder high – again, not a very comfortable task.  This is what I had gotten myself into. 

And after
I asked Dave to take a break and took the shovel.  Within 10 seconds I realized what a monumental mistake that was for all parties.  Dave and Linda were guiding me on how I could use my leg to push the shovel into the ground and scoop out the mud. The stickiness was making that very difficult and try as I may, I was not getting enough out of the ground.  While Dave was filling up the bucket in 4-5 scoops, I would be requiring more than 10.  Linda suggested that I step inside the ditch in order to get a better angle and when I did that, I immediately sunk my shoes in the soft soil.  It was apparent to both, Dave and Linda that I was struggling and Dave said that he was ready to come back in.  However he had been doing this for a long time and clearly needed a break.  The temperature inside the orchid garden was higher than outside and that did not help either.  This was back breaking work and I was out of breath quite frequently.  After some time I came out and Dave resumed the digging, while I did a bit of scraping and emptying of the buckets.  After a couple more shifts, where my contribution was a minimum, Jen said that it was enough and we were ready to fill the ditch with bark.  Having never been around gardens and yards while growing up, I had no idea what “filling a ditch with bark” meant, but I was ecstatic to hear that we were done digging. 

Jen said that the bags of bark were in the basement and so Dave and I headed there.  Now, the entrance and the stairs leading to the basement were exactly the type one finds in scary movies.  We made our way down and found some big bags which we hauled on to a shopping cart. Next job was getting the cart to the top level and for that we were going to employ an elevator that was truly from the dark ages.  You pressed a button - that looked like one of those emergency red buttons - to summon the elevator, and the doors opened only after some lights stopped flashing.  Then we had to load the cart and send the elevator back up.  Once at the top, we hoped that the cart had made it and to our delight, and mild surprise, it had.  But the smile was wiped out when Jen said that we had brought the wrong bark and so we had to repeat the entire process of sending down the elevator, going down to the basement, unloading and loading new bags and then sending up the elevator. 
The bed filled with bark

We took the bags of bark to our ditch and then using a saw which Dave had found somewhere, tore opened the bags and spread the bark in the ditch.  We required all of the bark that we had picked up from the basement and soon we were done.  With the bark in there the ditch it looked…fantastic.  My back was hurting, hands were blistered and I was covered in mud, but it was a great sight to see a job well done.  I took the bus back, knowing that I would have to put all my clothes in the laundry basket and take another shower before my next project, which was a jacket and tie affair.  This had been my first environmental project and I wasn't sure if it was my thing.  I was glad to have had this experience, but I really enjoy the projects with human interaction and this wasn't one of them.

No praise can be too high for Dave and Linda, who had done infinitely more hard work than me.  But it wasn’t just that, Linda had never once abandoned her great spirit.  She was encouraging me a lot and Dave was fantastic as well.  He had toiled away while the other Dave, who was the leader on the project, had been plucking flowers.  I am not ready to draw conclusions based on just one data point, but a leader always leads by example and as far as I was concerned, only one of the Dave’s had exhibited that today.  He told me that he was a primary leader for Serve-A-Thon and based on what I had seen of him, we are lucky to have him represent us that day. Yes, I did learn a lot today.  I had learned that sometimes beautiful plants need to be destroyed in order to keep them alive.  I had learned that an ordinary thing like bark can make something extraordinary.  And I had learned that Pirates really do need to work hard to bury their treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment