The Great Debate at Rebecca Johnson Apartments

Location: Deborah’s Place
Date: Thursday, April 11, 2013; 5:45-7:00 pm

The last time I did this project, I had thoroughly enjoyed myself and the first thing I did upon returning back home was sign up for this month.  However, it had been a tough day at work and I was exhausted.  I was about to cancel my shift, but upon looking online I saw that Christina, the Volunteer leader for this project, was struggling to sign people.  My presence would be required and so I set out for the location armed with the knowledge that we would be debating the topic of ‘School Closings: The Effect on Our Youth and Communities’.  Now, I had been on the periphery of this topic without really following the details.  All that I had been interested in was checking if any of the schools that I go to through Chicago Cares were going to be affected.  So I arrived for the debate totally unprepared.

Phoenix: Flame on
The first thing Christina asked me was if I would be willing to lead this project next month since she was going out of town.  I told her it would be difficult for me to commit so soon, but if she still required someone as we got closed to the date, I may do it.  The volunteer turnout was very poor this evening, as was the attendance by the residents.  There was one other volunteer, Ashley and 5-6 other ladies, besides Josie  who is in charge of the program.  Christina started with an ice breaker, asking everyone, “If you could be any animal, which one would you be and why”.  We had a variety of responses such as ‘Panther’ and ‘Parrot’ as well as ‘Fish’ and ‘Wild Monkey’, which was proposed by Christina.  Josie chose ‘American Eagle’ and went on to say that she liked and collected eagles  I wasn't sure what that meant, so I asked and learned that she has every type of eagle in either picture or model form.  Next it was my turn and I said that I was going to pick a mythical creature.  I said that I was quite content being the dominant species on this planet and so there really wasn't any animal that I would be comfortable being, especially since I did not want to be chased for food!  I was thus picking a fantasy creature and that was the bird ‘Phoenix’.  I said that this way I could fly and also never fade away, since I could keep getting reborn.  People seemed to like my logic and after that our real debate was about to commence.

We started by reviewing the pros and cons that Christina had laid out.  According to her, the supporters of school closings argued that by consolidating students they would be better served by being in schools with superior facilities and better staff and programs.  Furthermore, closing the schools was going to save a lot of money.  The opponents point was that this was a minor attempt to alleviate the districts $1 billion deficit and the whole concept was racist, since majority of students affected were minorities.  Plus, they claimed that by closing schools, the city was breaking down the community and was detrimental to neighborhood revitalization. 

Josie jumped right in by stating what the problem was according to her.  She said that the displacement of students is going to cause children to travel much further from their homes and there was increased likelihood of them coming to harm through gang violence.  Besides that, they would find acceptance into a new school a problem and would have difficulty in adjusting with other kids.  She also claimed that the in-coming students will have to learn new skill sets and will eventually lose motivation and quit.  I listened to Josie and then stated my point of view.  I said that in terms of distance that the kids would now need to travel, this could be an easy fix and perhaps the city could provide buses as transportation.  As far as the kids losing interest because of a new environment, I said that the kids are always looking for an excuse to drop out.  Shame on the parents; for it is their responsibility to keep the kids engaged and in school.  I said that I had not studied this issue in detail, but it seems like most were agreeing that the overall infrastructure for the kids was going to increase.  This meant that once the kids were inside the school walls, their quality of education was going to improve.  So if the problem lies outside, let’s try to fix that.  Let’s – once again – try to identify the root cause.

I said that I am sick and tired of people playing the race card time and again.  It is just not fair to blame everything on race and maybe we needed to look at the bigger issue.  Why are the minority schools closing?  If it is due to low enrollment, then let us try to understand why there is low enrollment, rather than calling this a racist plan.  I said that I was a minority myself, yet refused to blame my problems on race.  It is always easy to list problems.  Time had come to discuss solutions.  After this if people really wanted to talk about race, let the Mayor challenge the minority communities to increase enrollment and keep kids in school.  I said I would much rather close schools that are suffering due to lack of resources and move the kids to another one where their quality of education will improve. 

Christina said that while these were good points, she sided with Josie on the distance that a kid would now need to travel, and the possibility that they could lose their life.  “What was one life worth”, she posed the question.  I said we should be aiming to save hundreds to thousands of lives by finding a permanent solution and that can only happen through fixing the root cause.  Why would the child be harmed on the way to school?  Gangs?  Well, why are there gangs? Lack of education?  Wouldn't new schools with better infrastructure help in this?  If I have said it before, I will say it again.  It will take a long time for change, 50 years perhaps, but we should not be looking to put a Band-Aid on every issue, but take a long-term view.  Can we guarantee that there would be no tragic consequences?  Perhaps not; but if we do nothing, we are looking at a problem that will keep on recurring. 

Speaking of change, one of the ladies talked about growing up in Mississippi during the 60s.  She said that she had been a part of an ‘integration process’ back then, having merged with a ‘white school’.  She talked about the bullying that she had undergone.  I asked if the new school had improved her standard of education and when she said yes, I replied that’s what I had been talking about, the long term fix.  The other ladies who had been listening, said that the government did not care and while we could come up with any number of solutions, they will not change anything.  I said that it's not just the government that has been guilty of poor planning, we have too.  We could have done something a long time ago to increase enrollment in schools, rather than complain now.  Christina said that there was a website where one could air grievances about school closings and I said then let’s use it constructively. 

My final thoughts on this issue were that if we dig deeper, we will realize that the root cause is not school closing or race, but other issues, including development and lack of education.  We cannot fix everything in short-term but need to work at it every year.  Yes, there will be set-backs.  But there will also be victories, and that’s what we should aim for.  This had been a tremendous debate and fortunately the women did not have to rush to see ‘American Idol’ like previous month.  I bid the ladies goodbye and took the train back into downtown with Christina.  We discussed this program and I told her how enjoyable this usually is.  Hopefully I will be able to return next month and I can only wait with anticipation for our next topic.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment