Make-A-Wish: Bags To Wishes

Location: MINI Of Chicago
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013; 5:00-10:30 pm

I am always on the lookout for Make-A-Wish events since there are so few opportunities for general volunteering with them, most of their volunteers being ‘Wish Granters’.  This was a fund raiser that included a ‘Bags Tournament’.  This is also known as ‘Corn Hole ‘in some circles and having seen lunch time competitions of the same in my previous job, I knew that people took this seriously.  The previous day the organizers sent out assignments and against my name I saw ‘Hot Dog Cart’. There were the usual roles assigned to other volunteers, but I felt that mine was the coolest assignment and I replied back to the group saying that while I didn't know about the rest of them, I for one was extremely excited about my role.  I heard back from one of the other volunteers, Michelle, who agreed with me.  I mean seriously, a ‘Hot Dog Vendor’!  I even told everyone at my office. 

The MINI showroom service area
Although my shift was supposed to start at 7:30 pm, they has asked us to come by 5 pm, having done my best to remove all traces of blue from my hands.  The address looked as if it would be easy to get to and I followed the map on my phone and ended up in…a MINI showroom.  Even with my record of getting lost, this was a first.  However, to my surprise I was in the right place after all.  The event was going to be held after closing, in the service area at the back.  As I walked in, I saw some of the usual tools and equipment that one see’s in a garage, except that being a MINI showroom, this was much more cleaner.  I saw that some of the volunteers were blowing balloons and I joined them.  Michelle was in that group as were Andy, Hilary, Sara, Monica and Jared.  I have never been good at blowing balloons - never ever, since childhood.  My issue had always been tying that knot at the end and more often than not, the air in the balloon would come out while I made a feeble attempt to secure the knot.  Today, I had a different problem.  I could not muster enough lung capacity to fill a balloon; much to the amusement of Michelle and the others.  “I do not even smoke”, I said though they may have had doubts on that. 

Aesthetically designed MAW banners
I saw that Hilary was trying to tape some MAW signs around some tables and I went over to check if she needed any assistance.  With some manipulation of the long sign and tape, we managed to get that done.  I chatted with Michelle, who is a ‘Wish Granter’ about what that entails as well as her job and some of the other volunteer work that she does, including what it takes to do fund raising at a large scale for hospitals and non-profits.  Andy, who was leading the group, came and asked if some of us could help tape MAW banners just behind the registration desk.  There was a huge MINI board and he wanted us to cover it with MAW signs.  Hilary, Sara, Monica and I went to handle that and some of the girls were being every precise and wanted to aesthetically improve the presentation by ensuring that the banner below was just offset from the one above.  For me it did not matter since the message was more important, but then I am by no means a designer.  Once the banners had been done, I helped tape some signs to the showroom windows and we were ready for the guests. 

The guests started arriving at 6 pm and while the actual tournament was not starting till 8 pm, that gave them enough time to practice and get lubricated – if you pardon the pun, considering this was a car service area.  I saw people practice and the place was slowly starting to resemble a party.  I saw that the food area was being prepared and I took to my station.  It was a buffet style arrangement and there were some usual things like wings and tortilla chips with dip.  Then at the end there was a small cart with hot dogs and alongside it were rolls and other condiments.  Strictly speaking they did not require a person to be there, but I think having a MAW volunteer at that station was a good idea.  My job was to put the hot dog into the bun and hand it to the guests on a plate.  Then they could add the condiments of their choice and it seemed simple enough.  That was before I realized how seriously the Chicagoans take their condiments. 

Where's the mustard?
While there was ketchup in the condiments section, there was no mustard.  Apparently, it is a sacrilege to put ketchup in a hot dog in Chicago and even a bigger sin if there is no mustard!  I heard about it from several people and in fact had to ask in the catering area if they could get me some mustard.  They were able to find me some bottles and that seemed to appease the crowd, who by this time had consumed a fair amount of alcohol.  For the next three hours I handed the guests several hot dogs and each and every one of them was excited to get one.  The tournament had begun and it would take a lot of time to crown the winners, there being 101 teams that had entered.  People would go down the buffet line and as they approached me, some would be unsure, while the rest would be positively beaming at the prospect of a hot dog.  For the unsure ones I would say “Come on, you know you want one” and that would usually do the trick.  I was going through a lot of rolls and a lot of hot dogs, but the catering staff kept replenishing the cart.  Win or lose, drunk or sober, people came time and again.  One guy came five times and each time he would nod toward his partner and say to me, “You haven’t seen me right, this is my first time”.  Soon it became a running joke where whenever I saw him, I would point towards the hot dog and say, “You must have at least one before you leave”

Your friendly neighborhood Hot Dog Man
I saw all sorts of people, in fact one guy came and it was obvious that he had been drinking for some time.  He delivered a long soliloquy and I did not understand a word of it.  Finally he said, “You want to punch me now, don’t you?”  What?  I had no idea what he had been saying and I just smiled.  He moved aside and stared into space for the rest of the time that he was there.  I saw Alisa, who is the leader for Chicago Cares’ ‘Get Crafty’ program and she was participating in the tournament.  Having been eliminated in the first round, she came and blamed it all on her partner.  Then she told me that she was going to drink and I was not to judge her.  I laughed and said that I won’t as long as she kept coming for the hot dogs.  One of the guests, Hannah, came and asked me about volunteering and I told her as much as I could in the cacophony.  Michelle came and I had promised her the best hot dog that I could deliver. Well, there wasn't much that I could do, but I did remind her of that. 

Towards the end I was getting tired, since it was a solo job and I was on my feet all the time.  Although my shift was only till 9:30 pm, people were still coming and I stayed at my post till 10:30 pm.  But at that point I was completely exhausted, having left my place at 7:45 am this morning.  I told Adam that I was leaving and he thanked me for my help.  I do not know how much money MAW had raised, but I was glad to have been there.  However, my fondest memory is seeing people’s delighted faces as they approached the hot dog stand.  Having a hot dog is somewhat akin to being a kid again, out in the ball park with your family.  No matter how old one gets, they always enjoy moments like these when they get to remember their childhood again.  Just as I had suspected the previous day, I did have the coolest job that evening; for I had helped make people smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment