On Every Street - At 100

It all started last November, when a visiting friend suggested I start keeping a record of all of my volunteering activities.  Initially I thought about a photo journal, but it would not have done justice to everything that needed to be said about the wonderful experiences that I have had and the people that I have met.  Even when I started writing the blog, I wasn't sure if I could sustain it.  And now, here we are - my 100th article. 

True Words
I found Chicago Cares the same way people find things nowadays – through Google.  I was looking for opportunities to volunteer and Chicago Cares showed up.  The first search I did was looking for projects within a certain distance from my residence and that’s how I located Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center and the project ‘What’s The Word’.  The description seemed harmless enough though I remember how nervous I was that evening as I entered the place, not knowing what I was supposed to be doing and more so, not sure if I could do it.  But I need not have worried.  Not only did I survive, I had a fantastic time and really enjoyed myself.  Then came the library project, and now there was no stopping.  Not only was I exploring new projects, I had started expanding my radius of travel and was now going to places in Chicago that I would have never thought of visiting, using public transport facilities that I did not think existed.

I had heard of Make-A-Wish® Foundation a long time ago and had always hoped of being involved.  Hoped…and done nothing.  But now I was intent on participating and after a background check, I was eligible for general volunteering.  I signed up for the 'Macy’s Believe Campaign' and the rest as they say is history or as I would like to put it, a path to the future; for it has opened me up to a world of possibilities.  After that two month experience, not only do I look forward to MAW projects, I have gone ahead and committed to becoming a ‘Wish Granter’; in my opinion, one of the most fulfilling things someone can do. 

One Brick follows a very different model than Chicago Cares, where you may not work directly with the clients, but rather support the organizations that serve the clients.  Also, they encourage socializing amongst volunteers after the event so as to make it a fun experience for everyone involved.  My first event with them was helping out the ‘The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’ and since then I have tried to stay involved, many times having to choose between their projects and Chicago Cares.  Just as I run into the same people at Chicago Cares projects, I have becomes quite familiar with the One Brick crew and look forward to catching up at different locations.  But with all of the volunteers that I have encountered, there is no one like Wilson.

Wilson
It was my first project of the year, at Imperial Nursing Home, where I first met him.  I had no idea that not only would I keep seeing him repeatedly, but he was a symbol of volunteering in Chicago for many people.  Everyone knows Wilson and more importantly, everyone knows they can depend on him.  He is a bundle of energy and I can honestly say, I have never met anyone like him.  He inspires me and has helped me push through some limits that only existed in my mind.  A man who refuses to be photographed, he has become somewhat of a mythical figure for readers of this blog.  One even sent me a picture of ‘Wilson’ from the movie ‘Castaway’, saying that’s how they picture him.  Perhaps it is the most accurate description for him.  In the movie, ‘Wilson’ had represented hope for Tom Hanks’ character, his only friend during the most desperate moments of his life.  Sometimes when I see Wilson with the clients, it doesn't seem too different. 

These experiences have encouraged me to explore other volunteering opportunities with different organizations and I look forward to sharing my travels through this blog soon.  Since my first article, not only have I met heroes; I have also met some remarkable people - our clients.  The residents of Lakeview Nursing and Pat Crowley House – site of one of my favorite projects, ‘Paint The Town Red’ – have become as familiar as any of my other friends, as have some of my fellow volunteers.  I will never forget the ‘Celebration Of Service’ project where I was proud to have members of Target on my team.  It is an absolute privilege to serve alongside men and women who go above and beyond what’s expected of them and from whom I learn a lot every time.  The other day I was watching ‘Battlestar Galactica’, one of the great TV shows of our time, and ‘Admiral Adama’ gives a speech to the men and women under his command; just before leading them into battle.  Those words, reproduced below, can be applied to every individual I have met and can be repeated every time we do a project.  I had started with an intention of finding heroes.  And as I crisscrossed this city, I  found them everywhere...on every street.

“Look around you. Take a good look at the men and women that stand next to you. Remember their faces, for one day you will tell your children and your grandchildren that you served with such men and women that the universe has never seen. And together, you accomplished a feat that will be told and retold down through the ages and find immortality as only the Gods once knew. I'm proud to serve with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment