Lakeview Seniors Pet Therapy…And Bingo

Location: Lakeview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Date: Monday, June 10, 2013; 6:15-7:45 pm

Barkley
It has been some time since my prior visit and as I came in, one of the residents Mary said that she had not seen me in a long while.  Jack, Jim and Larry were gathered at their usual table and greeted me as well.  I saw that Emma was sitting by herself and went over to chat with her.  She was ready for Bingo and I said that I had heard she’s been winning quite a bit.  In her usual agreeable style, she replied, “Oh Yes”.  I told her that the dogs would be here soon and she said that sometimes her daughter gets a dog and they all go around the block for a walk.  We chatted about the weather and she said that it would be nice for the dogs when it gets warmer and I replied that it would be nice for her as well!

Wilson was in attendance for the Bingo and I went out to check on the pets.  I saw some new dogs, such as a ‘Golden Doodle’ called Barkley as well as a small thing called Digby, who looked like an Ewok.  There was also a 16 year old cat called Fluff, who looked very much like its name and who had found a nice comfortable corner to rest in.  There were some other regular dogs like Bruce and June and Shane and Chloe.  Fran was there as well and I asked about the WNBA basketball game that she was supposed to take the seniors to.  She said that of the 40 tickets that she had, only 14 had been used, due to a poor turnout.  The dogs were mingling with the Bingo crowd, but soon it was time to get going for our program. 

Digby and an Ewok!
Sam, who was the Volunteer leader this evening, paired me up with Barkley and his owner Betsy.  This was perfectly acceptable to me since Barkley was an adorable creature and I was sure to have fun with him.  We started on the 3rd floor and followed the usual drill, where I would go inside to check if the residents wanted to pet a dog and while a few were pleased to see us, many said no.  We reached Hannah’s room and while she likes dogs, everyone knows that her real love is cats.  I told her that a cat was amongst the participants today and at this she pulled out the picture of her beloved cat Johnny B.  She said that about 10 years ago somebody had broken into Hannah’s home and stolen Johnny B and held him to ransom that Hannah eventually had to pay.  I said that to do that to an animal is sick and Hannah said that eventually those criminals will have to answer to God.  Speaking of whom, Hannah said that she was an extremely spiritual person and mentioned about a time when she had asked God for a sign.  When asked what had happened, she replied that a pillow had fallen down, though it is unclear to me from where and on whom.

Barkley was getting tired
Other dogs had lined up outside Hannah’s room, so we said goodbye and went to see Jerry, who is a big favorite with dogs; and as is usually the case, Barkley jumped on his bed to play with him.  We then went to see Ruby, who was looking quite weak, but still played with Barkley for a bit.  Being just 18 months old, Barkley is still a pup and thus quite energetic when we first started.  But the heat was probably getting to him and he was drinking a lot of water.  In fact, whenever possible, he was sprawling on the cold floor tiles.  Betsy said that he probably wanted to be taken off his leash.  She was carrying some treats as an incentive and made Barkley do some tricks like hi-five.  We went down to the 2nd floor and met Odelia, who is a regular stop for us and tried to see Gloria and Jean, but they were both unavailable.  We stopped by Loritta and she talked with passion about her German Shepherds from long time ago.  She asked Betsy if Barkley liked to take a bath and when she said no, Loritta mentioned how her dogs understood the word “bath” and how they had to literally spell out B-A-T-H in front of them.  I told them about the dogs I had seen at the PAWS walk yesterday and how they were playing in the doggie pool.  Our next stop was with James and he gave Barkley a good massage, but the poor thing was looking exhausted due to the heat.

Seeing how he was tired, Betsy left and I saw that the Bingo game was still on.  I pulled up a chair and sat next to Jack, Larry and Jim, who were with Wilson and another volunteer, Jenny.  On our table, both Jack and Jim had already won prizes, but not Larry and he was looking grumpier than usual.  Wilson told me that Emma had won a bag of cheese balls, which was as large as her!  The various rituals were still in effect, such as Kenny leading a big hum of 'Hawaii Five-0' when the number 50 was announced.  The season was already over, but he was still announcing the show times.  Perhaps it must be on re-runs!  I had a card in front of me and started participating as well.  Jack won another prize and I called it out for him.  He took butterscotch candy saying that it was delicious, though I would take his word for it. 
I won!

Larry came close to winning several times but with no luck.  In the meanwhile, Emma won and this time took her favorite peanut butter sandwich cookies.  We were reaching the end of the evening and the rapid-fire lighting round was upon us.  I was concentrating hard because I wanted to win for Larry…and it did happen.  I called out and asked Larry to pick a prize.  He took the butterscotch candy as well and then it was it for the evening.  I helped Wilson clean and congratulated Emma on her wins.  The dogs were leaving as well and I went to chat with Sam and Jess.  Chloe’s fur was feeling soft and Jess said that she had just had a bath recently.  Sam said that Shane had been having difficulty climbing stairs and very soon may need a wheelchair himself to go up to the 3rd floor.  We chatted for some more time before Wilson dropped me home.  This evening had allowed me to participate in both, ‘Pet Therapy’ and ‘Bingo’ programs and while poor Barkley may have run out of steam, I felt energized for the very special opportunity that tomorrow morning would bring.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment