Youth In Services

Location: Ruth Shriman Christopher House
Date: Friday, June 7, 2013; 5:15-7:00 pm

So far in my career with Chicago Cares I had been participating in what they term as ‘Ongoing Programs’ - regular projects on evenings and weekends.  However, Wilson first told me about a program that does not advertise on the calendar, but has several projects in a month.  This was a program where young people learn how to serve the community, and you as a volunteer leader mentor them in this activity.  This program is called ‘Youth In Services’ and rather than describe it, I will just quote from the Chicago Cares website: “We know that young people don't just want to talk about change; they want to be the change, and they want to start today. In just 5 years, our program has introduced over 20,000 Chicago youth to volunteerism.  More than just counting hours, our Youth in Service program encourages students to make positive changes in their communities through well-rounded volunteer service programs touching the areas of poverty, aging, human services and the environment.  We believe that by educating youth on social issues, engaging them in meaningful service and empowering them to be agents of change, we are fostering a new generation of leaders grounded in the ethic of community involvement.  The Youth in Service Program places groups of 8 to 18 year-olds in meaningful volunteer opportunities throughout the city of Chicago. These customized service projects are created around the interests and schedule of your youth group, to meet a critical need in Chicago. We work to ensure that students are leaving each service experience ready to continue making a difference long after their project with Chicago Cares is over.”

When I found out about this program, I immediately wanted to be involved since this would not only allow us to make an impact in the community - just like ongoing programs - but we would also be able to guide the next generation of volunteers.  I had mentioned to Wendy that I was interested in learning more and she had arranged for a phone call for me to talk with Katie from Chicago Cares, who leads the YIS program.  She told me a bit more about the program and then agreed to let me “shadow” some of the leaders.  As luck would have it, Wilson had asked me if I would be interested in joining him that evening at a YIS event and I mentioned to Katie that this could be my first shadow opportunity; and she agreed.

Cans opened with WWII technology
So it came to be that Wilson picked me up and after some difficulty in finding parking, we arrived at the senior center.  The kids – about 8-10 of them –and their chaperon Shanna, were already on site and had begun prepping for the project.  We would be cooking a meal of baked beans, hot dogs as well as dinner and fruit salad; followed by a game of Bingo.  The first problem was opening the cans of beans and try as we may to find a can opener, we were unsuccessful.  Finally Wilson resorted to opening the cans with his Swiss knife, and pointed out that this is how they WWII soldiers did things – using it as a teaching moment for the kids.  I looked around and saw kids spread across the room chopping onions and bananas and other fruits.  Wilson asked if I could help out with the baked beans and I was more than happy to participate.  We had a big pot in which prepare the beans, but it needed to be scrubbed before we could use it. After searching for some cleaning materials and coming up short, Wilson just decided to use some of the Bingo prizes for the same.  After washing the pot I put it on the stove-top and its wide base meant it occupied two of the burners.  I started sautéing the onions and then added the 4 cans of baked beans that Wilson had opened.  As they simmered, I looked around for some seasoning and finding only cayenne pepper, added a bit of it – being careful not to make it spicy.

The hot dogs
While the beans were cooking, two of the kids had set up a grill on the side and were grilling hot dogs. Some of the others had already started mingling with the guests, which was heartening to see since this was the whole point to the exercise.  The beans were done and we started plating them in bowls and giving to the kids to serve.  The hot dogs needed condiments and since there weren’t enough bottles, we removed some ketchup, mayo and mustard into bowls and distributing them on various tables.  I walked around and found the guests to be friendly and talkative.  One lady was wearing the most extravagant jewelry and looked please as a punch when I complimented her.  Since everyone was now ready to eat, I pulled up a chair and sat with a couple of residents.  The lady’s name was Hannah and she said she had a degree in Philosophy, having gone back to college at the age of 57!  She was telling me that she spends her time on the computer and prefers a Mac as compared to a PC; though unfortunately her current Mac was broken and she was trying to get it fixed.  She said that she has three kids, all on the West Coast and more than anything, wanted to go see her grandchildren.  That was easier said than done, as was pointed out by the man John, who said that these were low income apartments and money was a precious commodity.  So when a computer got broken, it was very difficult for the residents to get a new one.  I looked at the wall and saw a big spot where the TV used to be and John said that it had been stolen.  It seems some folk came in the middle of the night and took at, along with some of the gym equipment.  There are few things in life more reprehensible than to steal from our seniors and even more when you considered that these people were not exactly affluent.  It’s really a shame that the facility had not invested more in ensuring the security of the residents and their property.

The dinner was over and Bingo was about to begin.  I walked about a bit and then sat next to a guy who was doing sketches on the paper napkin.  I complimented him on the sketch and he pointed towards a person whose sketch it was.  His name was Jerry and he was a retired police sketch artist.  He told me that years ago his sketch had helped the police catch a murderer and all he had to go on was different pieces of information from various people.  He said that sketching is a habit for him and restaurants usually don’t like him visiting since he uses up their napkins, though he never leaves home without his small pocket sketchbook and crayons. He said that sometimes people in the tavern pay him to sketch them.  I said that with a skill like this he must be quite popular and he pointed to the woman across from us and told me she was his girlfriend.  He said that besides sketching he also liked to play harmonica and that he had four brothers who had served in WWII, two each in Europe and the Pacific. I asked if he could sketch me and he was more than happy to do so.  I told Wilson later that this is where volunteering had brought me – having my picture sketched by a guy who used to do so for murderers and criminals!

And that's me as a police sketch!
The Bingo was on, with one of the kids calling it and others helping the residents.  One person sitting on my other side got bingo and I called it out for him.  He went over to collect his prize and came back with something that looked like a cleaning solution, though we couldn't tell.  The game was over soon and the residents started leaving.  I chatted with the resident coordinator Bruce, who asked where I was from.  I said McClurg Street, an answer which I feel is accurate, but he was referring to my childhood.  I said I was from Mumbai and he talked about some liquor related deaths over there.  He said he was Irish and that’s why the topic of alcohol!  I said that it may have been due to poor distillation, though I have no idea what I was talking about.

One of things that separate YIS from ongoing Chicago Cares programs is the final period of reflection.  In most of the typical projects, all of us leave at the end without any debrief.  In YIS, the youngsters are required to discuss their experiences as a group.  Usually conducted in a circle, we assembled around the table instead. Wilson asked me if I would lead it, something that I was delighted to do.  I stared by asking the kids what they had enjoyed most and they said it was the interaction part with the seniors.  Then I asked what we could do better and one girl said that they would love for even more interaction.  This was extremely refreshing to hear and the kids said that they love coming to this project – having done this before - and learning about the residents.  I said that the residents are our guests and though we are cooking for them, this is not a restaurant.  We need to constantly engage them and make them feel welcome.  I mentioned to the girl who had said we should have more interaction, that she should take the lead next time in making sure everyone is talking with the seniors.  If she saw that I wasn’t conversing, then she should even call me out! 

The kids left and Wilson was driving me home.  I told him how much I had enjoyed this project and how I wanted to do more.  I said that this model of serving at two levels – with the mentoring and our clients – was one of the best that Chicago Cares has.  He agreed, saying that we are not only building the next generation of volunteers, but the next generation of leaders as well.  He told me about another YIS project that he had led recently, and which comprised of travelling youth from Hawaii who had served breakfast in another community.  He told me how they had run out of food and how the volunteers had preferred not eat themselves, but ensured that all of the guests were fed.  It takes great character to voluntarily serve at such a young age.  I was proud of everyone who was involved today – the kids, Chicago Cares, leaders like Shanna and Wilson, Hannah, who had gone back to school at her age and also Jerry, whose sketches I had kept.  I for one cannot wait for my next opportunity to serve in the YIS program. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment