Job Coaching

Location: Open Door Shelter
Date: Monday, June 03, 2013; 6:45-8:30 pm

I had received an email from Wendy asking if I would be available to attend this session since we had a first time leader in Chris and having someone experienced would help his confidence.  I changed from my existing project and arrived at ODS way earlier than usual and saw that Chris was already there.  I was chatting with them when I heard another volunteer buzz in and it was none other than Wilson.  He said it was his first visit to this program and I told Chris that he was really a spy from Chicago Cares, sent to observe Chris on his first day as a leader!  We got some other folks, Fahad and Aly, who used to work with Chicago Cares and was now attending as a volunteer.  We chatted till it was time to go upstairs and since this was a project that I had done and Wilson had not, I told him to watch and learn!

Wilson is the 'Riddler'!
We went upstairs and I spotted my buddy Kallie amongst others who were watching TV.  Kallie was playing with a baby and greeted me like an old friend.  We got around the table with all the young men and women and when it came time for introduction, I asked Kallie to introduce me.  In fact, she was wearing a nametag saying, “Ritesh’s Best Friend”.  As an ice breaker, Chris gave us colored pens – both Kallie and I picked violet – and asked us all to draw our ideal job.  This was an interesting one and I thought about what I would want for myself.  I always wanted to be a writer and while I can write as a hobby, it would be fabulous if someone paid me to do it.  So I drew a laptop – or something that looked like it – and some pages.  Others around me were busy at it and soon we were asked to reveal our drawings.  One guy wanted to be a construction engineer and so had drawn construction machinery.  Kallie had filled up her entire page to depict a psychologist counseling the kids in school.  It was brilliant and afterwards and I asked if I could keep it for my wall.  She said I could as long as she could keep mine.  Some of the other interesting ones were Fahad drawing himself as the Mayor of Atlanta, Aly showing herself working in a non-profit, and others as either a sports journalist, a caterer in ‘Goose Island Brewery’ or as a Professor.  One girl had a picture of a person shooting someone and then a gravestone.  She said that she wanted to be a cop, though it looked more like an Undertaker.  Wilson had drawn a question mark and while I asked if he wanted to be the ‘Riddler’, he said that one of his friends was in Fermi labs and Wilson wanted to be like him and understand the Universe.  I said that Wilson would be one to finally come up with the ‘Grand Unification Theory’.  But the best picture was a guy who drew himself as a surgeon and had a big heart on the picture.  He said that his grandfather has a heart condition and that he wants to help.  Chris challenged us all to find a better story, but there really wasn’t any.

Next, Chris had a behavioral exercise with situations that may arise on a job and how people may and should react to it.  Initially he wanted us to break into groups, but one of the residents suggested that we do it together as a group, so we can share our thoughts - a very wise suggestion.  It was a case study about you working at a grocery store and how you would deal with a colleague in different situations.  The first was the co-worker only doing what he was told and if that was good or bad.  There were different opinions on this ranging from one person saying the co-worker should go above and beyond what he has been told, to another saying that if he offers to do more, that are more chances to screw up, and so it is better to fly under the radar.  Many supported the ‘doing more’ approach and I said that we really do not know the entire story.  Perhaps the boss wasn’t treating this employee well and he had been passed over for promotion several times.  If so, the question my co-worker needed to ask himself is whether he should stick around for a dead-end job or go somewhere else where he would be challenged and allowed to grow.  The next question was the co-worker hearing a private conversation and telling everyone else about it.  One of the residents said that there should be no “personal” talk in the office and if you do so, you risk others overhearing.  Wilson said that we were missing the main point here, which is can we trust this co-worker now with information. I agreed with Wilson, since we were trying to evaluate this from a professional point of view.  Final point of discussion was how the supervisor should deal with a person like this.  I said that it really depends on how many warnings or how much coaching this person has already received.  I said shame on any supervisor who either does not give a warning or who turns a blind eye towards everything.

This had been a healthy discussion and next Chris wanted us to work individually with the residents in doing self-evaluation.  Kallie wanted to work with me, but I told her to pair with Wilson since we had already done some things together the previous time.  I was paired with Sylvia and I gave her a ‘Work Ethic’ form which had questions such as, “I always get to work on time.  If I am going to be late, I call and let my boss know” and “I work hard as I can” and multiple choice answers such as, “Always”, “Sometimes” and “Never”.  I asked her to fill out her answers and I did the same.  We went through her ratings and her explanation for each and I said that in some cases she was being hard on herself.  I coached her on teamwork and how on most jobs teamwork is more valued than being an individual contributor. 

Next was Resume review and Kallie had joined us for this one.  We looked at both of their resumes together and since they each had something good and some areas for improvement, I tried to point them out as a comparison.  I said that while Sylvia’s objective was better framed than Kallie’s, her rest of the content could do with some improvement.  When I asked her to move some things around, she called me out on my previous advice and how she had formatted accordingly.  “Touché!”  We polished both the resumes and I also looked at Kallie’s cover letter.  Before leaving we worked on some of Sylvia’s job questions and she had done a good job on the answers such as “What motivates you”, where she had said “Growth as a team”.  She was apparently paying attention to our coaching and using the time productively.

As we packed up to leave, Kallie told me to come back soon and I gave her a high-five.  Downstairs, Chris asked us for feedback and most of the volunteers said that he should send them some material in advance so that they can be better prepared, not that anyone had done a poor job.  I thought that he had done a very commendable job and looks like ODS has found another good leader to compliment Claire.  No wonder this is one of my favorite programs. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment