Make-A-Wish: Airport Greeter

Location: Midway Airport
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013; 6:45-9:00 am

Today is my birthday.  In the past I have spent many a birthday with friends and family, something that I have enjoyed a lot.  But now being in a different city, I did not know many people except my colleagues and some that I had met through volunteering.  Much like the Valentine’s Day, I wanted to spend the day participating in Chicago Cares or some other programs.  I had in fact told Wilson to find some projects for me and was going to go to his AIC program in the afternoon.  A few days prior, I was checking the Make-A-Wish website and found an opportunity for an early morning assignment.  When I read what it was, I had no hesitation in signing up.  A 'Wish Family' was leaving for ‘Disney World’ in Orlando and they needed an 'Airport Greeter' to see them off. Not only was it a terrific start to my birthday, it contributed to me having one of my best birthday’s ever.

Hannah was going to Disney World!!!
Through my MAW coordinator I learned that the ‘Wish Child’ was a girl Hannah, and she would be travelling along with her younger sister, older brother, parents and a care-giver.  I was encouraged to coordinate with the ‘Wish Mom’ and check if she had any specific needs.  So I sent the mom an email introducing myself and asked if there was anything in particular that she wanted.  She responded saying that not only did Hannah have special needs, but so did the younger sibling, and plus it was a first for the entire family to be flying together.  She wanted to know if they would be allowed to carry medicines on board and if there would be any help during the check-in and boarding process.  I assured her that I would do everything I could to get assistance from both, TSA and Southwest Airlines and at minimum, find out the answers to her questions.  I concluded by saying that she did not have to worry about a thing because now she wasn’t alone.  Within moments I received a response which said that she had tears in her eyes that someone was actually helping them.  She mentioned how tough it has been with kids and all the doctors’ appointments, and having my assurance felt comforting.  Anyone who thinks that volunteering or small acts of kindness do not make an impact needs to be reminded that every little thing matters.  Never take anything for granted. 

The next day I called Southwest and explained the situation to them and asked if we could get some help during the check-in and boarding process.  They were understanding and cooperative and said that once at the airport, I could let the people at Southwest desk know and they will help in any way they could.  Next, I found the number for TSA, especially regarding medical cases.  I spoke to the officer who said that as long as there was a prescription for medicine that came in larger than travel sized bottles, they would be fine.  Furthermore, I could talk to the agents at the airport and they would help during the security check.   I informed the mom to carry the prescription and all they had to do now was plan for their Disney visit. 

Lambie!
When MAW takes on a child’s wish, one of the more important aspects of the process is ‘Wish Enhancements’ - small presents or gestures that accentuate the entire experience for the child as well as the family.  I had been informed that Hannah liked the TV show ‘Dora The Explorer’ as well as coloring.  Furthermore, her brother was 11 years old and the younger sister was 3.  Armed with this knowledge I had gone to Target the previous day to look for some presents that they could carry with them and that would preferably entertain them during the travel.  For Hannah I hit jackpot instantly when I found a ‘Dora The Explorer Coloring Book’.  Having never seen the show, I had no idea about the characters, but I had heard enough to know that ‘Dora’ is somewhat of a legend with girls that are Hannah’s age.  For the little sister I was looking for a small toy and found a cute little lamb stuffed toy called ‘Lambie’…what else!  I had no clue on what today’s 11 year boys would want, and spent some time looking around.  Finally, in the books section I found a puzzle activity book and I took a chance that Hannah’s brother would like that.  With the presents in tow, I was ready for my to meet them.

I was supposed to be at the airport around 6:45 am, but arrived way in advance so as to give myself enough time to meet with the various parties.  I was in touch with the mom, who said that they were on their way.  I went in and found a Southwest staff member and once I explained the situation, she said that as soon as the family arrived, she would help us with the check-in.  The same with a TSA officer who said he could show us to the special line they have at security for such travelers.  Then I went outside and waited.  Now, I knew that the family was travelling by ‘Windy City Limo’, but limo is sometimes a loosely defined term.  Back in graduate school I once travelled by a ‘limo’ from the airport and which was nothing more than a van/bus hybrid.  So I was keeping an eye on every big vehicle.  After a few false alarms, I saw a big stretch limo pull in and to my satisfaction that was the vehicle MAW had booked for the family.   No kidding that we go all out for a wish experience. 

I helped get the luggage out of the car, but here’s where we ran into a bit of inconvenience.  The family had put a child seat in the car for the kid sister, but did not know what to do with it once at the airport.  The limo driver said that he could not keep the seat with him either.  I said that there wasn’t any option but for them to check-in the car seat and take it with them to Orlando.  While it wasn’t the best one, it was the only choice that they had.  I found the Southwest agent that was going to assist and she took us to a separate counter than the rest of the passengers and helped check the family in.  After that I gave the kids their presents and all of them loved it, including the little girl who clutched ‘Lambie’ in her hands.  The mom said that Hannah would adore the ‘Dora’ book and the brother liked his puzzle book as well.  The TSA officials guided us to the separate line and I walked with the family all the way up to the checkpoint.  I bid the family luck on their visit and asked Hannah to send me her picture with Mickey.  

I came back to the visitors section of the terminal and waited till the flight left, in case they needed me for something.  The family had left for ‘Disney World’ happy and excited.  I have been lucky to participate in many activities through Chicago Cares, One Brick and other organizations, but there is something about a Make-A-Wish project that makes me feel truly privileged to  be involved.  To say that I was able to help out in a small way in sending a little girl with a life threatening condition to her dream destination…to help in the process of fulfilling a wish; now that’s a birthday gift to remember.  The best that I have ever received.  

No comments:

Post a Comment