3rd Annual 5K Run To End Homelessness!

Location: Douglas Park
Date: Sunday, July 14, 2013; 6:30-10:00 am

I saw a sign in the lobby of my apartment building, asking if anyone wanted to join a team to participate in this 5K Run/Walk event.  I contacted Amanda in the leasing office, who was coordinating this event, and said that I would walk, but only if there were other participants.  I had done enough walks by myself to not want to do it again.  She said that besides our building, another one of our sister properties in the loop were sending people and there were sure to be other walkers.  To entice me to join she mentioned that there would be cash awards, not that I was going to decide based on that, or that I had any chance of winning!  Plus, we were going to be dropped off in a bus to the location and picked up after the event.  All I would have to do is show up at the other building site at 6:30 am.  I was sold and so went ahead and signed up for our team, ‘BYOURBEST’ and told Amanda that I would be at the pick-up location on time.  During the week I looked at the property where I would be going and quite frankly was impressed, even thinking to myself if I should ask for a transfer some time in the future!

Our 'team' cap
On Sunday morning at 6 am, I took a cab to 215 West Washington and arrived well before the meeting time.  I went inside to sit in the lobby and was waiting for others when I realized that people were already assembling in a limo van outside.  I went and sat inside the limo where a few people had assembled, including a lady with 3 teenage kids.  Amanda came in due course and I learned that the lady with kids was the leasing manager of this property.  She gave me my packet, which included a bag, a shirt, a wristband and a team cap!  While the kids would be running, there was another couple with a woman who was participating.  Her male companion was not, as were the two leasing ladies.  I was beginning to suspect that this would once again be a solitary walk for me. 

Event site
The limo dropped us at Douglas Park and there were several things that needed to be carried out of the limo, including some signs, water and other drinks as well as granola bars.  Then we had to find our allocated table where to set it up.  The ladies found one spot at side and started setting up the table with all the goodies.  It was apparent that they were going to camp out here and try promote the residential property. Then they tried to raise some signs, but the wind was playing havoc and nothing they did would get the signs to stand up. Since I wasn’t much involved in these activities, I walked about a bit looking at the various stations and entertainment areas.  I came back to see that the ‘team’ was posing for pictures without bothering to look for me.   All I had to do now was wait for the walk to start.

The walk took us past some fancy places
At 8 am all the runners and walkers assembled at the start line and my ‘team’ had already departed.  Both sets, the runners and the walkers, would be following the same route, meaning I was at the back of the group with the walkers.  We set off and I could see many families and some walking with dogs – a typical sight at all of the walks that I have done.  The walk itself was quite nice, past some lawns, field houses and even an outdoor pool. However, at places the path was narrow and the problem was accommodating both, runners and walkers – though the issue was with latecomers who were running and were now expecting us to share the path.  The route took us outside the park and alongside a main road, before turning back into the park.  I saw some walkers carrying the ‘Mercy Housing’ signs, an organization with whom I have done a Chicago Cares project.  Soon I could see the finish line and that was strange because I did not think we had already covered 3 miles.  On the way I had seen some runners looking confused on which direction they should be taking and I wondered if the walkers had taken a wrong turn somewhere.  In any case, I crossed the finish line and was handed my very own medal!  I went back to find my ‘team’ and the lady with the kids looked excited since one of them had just finished third.  I thought we would let bygones by bygones and celebrate together, till the lady asked me to take the ‘team’ picture.  At the end of Superbowl XLVI - which is still a painful memory - Gisele Bundchen famously said “My husband cannot 'bleeping' throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time.”  Those words came back to me as I pondered how I was going to be in the picture and take it at the same time.  But then I realized that the lady did not intend for me to be in the picture anyways and so I took the picture and told Amanda that rather than wait for the ride back, I would take the CTA bus home.
The medal!

As I rode back, I was mad at myself for believing this was a team exercise, but then the walk itself had been for a good cause.  According to the organizers website, “The event benefits A Safe Haven, an organization dedicated to transforming lives from homelessness to self-sufficiency with pride and purpose, helping people aspire, transform, and sustain real change. A Safe Haven provides the tools for each individual to overcome the root causes of homelessness through a holistic, scalable model. A Safe Havens visible social and economic impact unites families, creating viable neighborhoods and vibrant communities.” 

Sure, having a cap doesn't always make a team.  But even a solitary walker can certainly play a part in addressing the issue of homelessness. I have quoted this before, but it does hold true..always.



“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do” – Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment