Adult Computer Skills

Location: Grace House
Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2013; 6:15-8:00 pm

I had not done any projects for a long time, having been away for the holiday weekend.  Thus I was enthusiastic to participate in this one, though the ‘Computer Skills’ portion of the title was a bit worrisome.  According to the project description, “Grace House provides comprehensive residential and case management services to formerly incarcerated women so they can rebuild their lives.  Volunteers will work directly with residents to help them learn basic computer skills such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, and resume writing.”  While I knew that nobody expected me to be proficient in HTML programming or Java script, at minimum I was expected to know a bit about the Microsoft Products and the Internet.  In terms of the destination, I thought that I knew where I was going but lo and behold, my old habit of getting lost caught up with me and I got off at the wrong train station.  Fortunately, I realized that before I left the platform, but had to still wait for the next train to arrive.  Having disembarked at the right station and following the directions on my phone, I finally arrived at Grace House. 

We had a stand-in leader this evening, Gabriella and she told me how the project would unfold.  Each volunteer would be paired with a resident and rather than coaching without an agenda, we would be working off their personnel file.  Well, it’s not like the file was a detailed profile or anything like that, but a list of things the ladies had covered in the previous class and what the volunteer’s recommendation was for this evening’s session.  I was paired with Shirley and the immediate thing that you noticed about her was that she smiled a lot.  It is always nice to be working with someone like that because it means that both of us would have a good experience.  I looked at her file and saw that at the previous session she had opened an email account via Gmail, and this week’s recommendation was for her to use it, especially to learn more about typing. 

Facebook Coaching
We sat down in front of a computer and fortunately for us, she remembered her login credentials and was able to access her Gmail account.  The first thing we saw was that she had 40 new messages – all from Facebook! So; Shirley had a Facebook account.  She wanted to log on to Facebook and see what was going on.  Now, I am not a Facebook user and my reasons for that are not because I have anything against it – on the contrary, I think it’s a great tool and one of the top innovations of this century.  I just believe in more personal…more meaningful relationships, not just make it a numbers game.  I was on Facebook once but got quickly disillusioned when I realized that I was just accepting ‘Friend Request’ from people who really did not care about how I was and vice versa.  So I got off it and today people think of me as a weird old relic who refuses to accept the changing times when I tell them that I am not on Facebook.  In any case, while I knew a bit about the interface, I could well have been a novice.  I had mentioned to Wilson earlier that I was hoping not to have to coach someone on Facebook, and here I was doing just that.  Well, at least both of us would be learning together. 

We went to Shirley’s Facebook profile and saw that there were several updates.  She looked at the messages on her wall and was confused why people were sending her information and pictures about someone else.  I quickly explained that he wall was a common place for her to see what all of her contacts were doing and so the messages were not necessarily meant specifically for her, but being broadcast for everyone who was connected to the person posting them.  I learned that her son was also on Facebook and she said that he had a new image as his profile picture.  She said that she wanted a new picture as well and asked me to take her picture with my camera.  Now this request required me to get permission from Gabriella and she said that it was fine as long as I deleted it after transferring the picture.  I took her picture, sent by email to her account and then downloaded on the computer.  Next it was a challenge to figure out how to upload the photograph on her profile and after a bit of searching we managed to get it done. 

Shirley then wanted to post something on her son’s wall.  Seeing that his picture was some sort of music album cover with cash, she asked if we could type, “Can I get some of the cash?”  Since he was online, he responded immediately at which she said something in return.  She was impressed that her son ‘liked’ some of her messages and was thrilled at that.  After exchanging a few messages, I said that the wall was public and perhaps we should chat with him privately.  We figured out a way to chat in real time and she exchanged a few messages with her son, including asking him to look at her new picture with her hair cut shorter.  At the end she concluded with “I love you”.  I showed her how to use the emoticons and she added 4 hearts.  What followed was a priceless look on her face when he responded, “Love you too”.  Getting to see her reaction is what makes this all worthwhile, why I love what I get to do. 

Shirley has two son’s, both living together in Minnesota.  We sent her other son a message as well, though he was offline.  We then saw pictures on her son’s profile, including some of her mom, grandma as well as her grandson.  It was fantastic to hear her talk about them, especially her grandma from all those years ago.  Another resident wanted to add her as a friend and once again we spent some time trying to figure out how to look for friends and add them.  We then went into her Gmail account and deleted all the messages from Facebook.  Finally we added her newly taken picture to her Google profile and we were done for the evening.  I filled out her file saying that she had learned how to use Facebook, chat, delete emails and upload pictures.  In recommendations, I wrote that for next session she should learn how to do emailing.  She thanked me for helping her and asked if I would be coming back. I replied that I wasn’t sure when, but she should keep practicing.  

I gave the file back to Gabriella and she said that we should let the residents use Facebook only at the end.  The main objective is for them to learn skills like email and Resume writing, but I believe today we had made some progress with Shirley.  Gabriella said that after a few weeks training the ladies had to give a test to demonstrate their proficiency.  I said that Shirley’s chatting with her son would help build her skills for sure.  Furthermore, from what I saw when she was chatting with him, it brought her immense happiness.  Isn't that the ultimate goal for everyone anyways?  By that account, we had been successful all right.  

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy



No comments:

Post a Comment