Chicago Cares Leadership Training

Location: Chicago Cares Offices
Date: Wednesday, July 17, 2013; 5:30-8:30 pm

Despite my active participation in all of Chicago Cares programs, I had resisted applying for a Leader role.  Sure, I had led at MLK Celebration of Service’, ‘Serve-A-Thon and as a back-up, but that was because it was a onetime role.  What I did not want to do was commit to a regular program, which would not allow me to improvise on my schedule.  Yes, I know it’s a lame excuse, but I have had an opportunity to participate in some remarkable programs because of this flexibility.  During a conversation with Wendy, I had mentioned this and she encouraged me to come and get trained as a leader and that would allow me to be a back-up for projects, without any firm commitment.  All Chicago Cares would do is put me on a mailing list when they needed a backup leader for a particular project.  I had already told Claire that I would be filling in for her at ODS for a few sessions and this was a similar concept.  I could do that and so I had sent Wendy a note expressing my interest in attending their next training session.  This led to me having to go through a phone interview with Wendy where she asked me probing questions to gauge my interest and also see what programs I liked.  I told her that apart from environmental projects – never again – I truly liked all of them: children’s, seniors, homelessness and hunger, you name it.  It was decided that after the main training session, I would join a breakout session for children’s programs, since that was the most exhaustive training that they conducted, and which would then allow me to be a backup for all the programs on the calendar.  All, except environmental, I hoped!

Chicago Cares offices
Prior to attending, we were also required to watch a short video on how to use the Chicago Cares ‘Leadership Portal’.  I was away on a business trip for a couple of days prior to my training session and so could do this while spending a boring evening inside my hotel room.  Following the video there were a few short questions that we were required to answer and thankfully they turned out to be easier than the ones at the end of a typical MAW training session!  I returned from my trip the morning of the training and went over to Chicago Cares offices with my travelling suitcase in tow. Amy, who opened the door, asked if it was my bag of tricks.  I said I did not know how long the training would take and so had come prepared for a long stay!  I was directed to the same room where we had our ‘Serve-A-Thon’ leadership training and I saw that besides me there were 7 other people being trained, including Linda, whom I had met at Lincoln Park Conservatory project.  The staff members were Wendy, who would start with the general training and then we would have breakout sessions with Martha and Emily leading the ‘Children’s Services’ training and Amy was leading the ‘Human Services’ session. 

Wendy started with an ice breaker where we had to chat with our neighbor and then after getting to know them a bit, introduce them to the group.  I was next to Linda and since we had worked together – and by work I’m not kidding, since it was back-breaking labor – we got along well.  I learned that Linda’s been with Chicago Cares for two years and is now moving into a leadership position, taking over a landscaping project.  Besides these environmental projects – which are her favorites – Linda also participates in ‘Read With Me’ program at McCormick.  I introduced her by saying all of these things and saying that she is one of the hardest working volunteers – literally – that I have had the pleasure of seeing.  Linda had asked me what my favorite project with Chicago Cares is and then introduced me accordingly when I said it was any project where you can interact with clients one-on-one.  All the other duos did a good job of introducing each other and we were now ready to commence.

Wendy started by saying that one of the first and foremost things we as leaders are required to do is describe Chicago Cares.  After all, we are the representatives for the organization.  She went on to describe what it is about and also what the difference was between ongoing and annual programs.  Next, she pulled out a whiteboard and started a discussion on qualities for a leader.  Many ideas came forth such as timely, organized etc.  I said “Accountability” and Wendy asked what I meant by that.  I said that for me, the leader is on site to enable volunteer experience, but along with that they are accountable for the success of the project and it means leading from the front.  Another quality that I mentioned was “Passion”, and I said that the leader has to believe in the project because if they don’t, then others will not either.  Finally, I said that the leader must demonstrate “Humor” because while they take the project seriously, they should not take themselves too seriously. 

Next, like the ‘Serve-A-Thon’ training, we had to go through various scenarios that leaders may encounter on project sites, and I was once again paired with Linda.  Our first scenario was a “Bored” volunteer and how we would deal with them to ensure that it does not happen again.  We both agreed that if someone is bored, the leaders should watch for the signs and move them to a different task.  Else, the leader joins the group with the volunteer so as to lead from the front.  For the next project occasion, if the volunteer was in attendance, the leader should put them on a different task.  Some of the other situations were similar to the ones we had discussed at ‘Serve-A-Thon’ training, such as leaders oversleeping or being short on supplies.  Everyone seemed to have the right answers and before taking a break, the last thing Wendy did was to give us an on-call number for emergencies, should they arise during projects.

A question on senses!
After a short break we went into the breakout sessions and I was in the ‘Children’s Services’ session along with 3 other volunteers.  Martha and Emily, who lead these Chicago Cares programs, would be tag-teaming on the training. In the room were different ‘Starburst’ candies were spread on the table.  Emily asked us each to pick on and I chose red.  We then realized that it was an ice-breaker and everyone would be asked a question based on the color they had chosen.  My question was “If you had to lose one of your senses, which one would it be?”  This was interesting since I really did not want to lose my ability to ‘See’ or ‘Hear’.  What would life be if I can’t see another movie by ‘Pixar’ or listen to words written by Lennon & McCartney?  Also, ‘Touch’ is a basic human need and I would be totally despondent if I couldn't ‘Taste’.  So that left just one, which was ‘Smell’, though there is something about smell that evokes nostalgia.  I can still remember smells from years ago and the good memories associated with those moments.  But answers needed to be given and so I nominated ‘Smell’.

That done, we discussed all the things a leader is required to do prior to a project.  This includes sending out information to the volunteers, starting with the address of the location, if parking was available, where the meeting point would be etc.  I also said that since kids were involved, volunteers should not come if they think they are sick since we do not want to spread a potential infection!  We then talked about various scenarios – particular to children’s programs – such as kids not behaving.  Martha said that the best way to deal with this is by being completely direct with the kids rather than making requests.  For example, if someone is running around, tell them firmly. “Sit down” rather than “Would you sit down?”  We then discussed appropriate behavior with kids, such as the kids want to go to the bathroom and should a volunteer accompany them.  The answer is “Never!”  I said that since all of us leaders would be undergoing a background check but the volunteers would not, it made us both, accountable and responsible.  We also went through some other important details like no initiated contact with kids etc. 

The training was at an end and then all that was remaining was filling out the paperwork for background check – which included putting down addresses’ for past 5 years!  We had to then rate the training session and I gave all of our instructors a positive grade, because they had earned it.  Before leaving I met with Wendy and she said that I was now ready to lead any project, my first task being leading ‘Job Coaching’ at ODS, standing in for Claire.  It had been 3 hours of training, but the time spent had been worth the effort.  Plus, it allowed me to think which of my senses I would be willing to give up and in doing so help me realize how precious each one of them really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment