Time To Make The Donuts With Wonder Works In Oak Park

Location: Pilgrim Church-Oak Park
Date: Saturday, July 13, 2013; 9:30 am-2:00 pm

First of all, let us contemplate the title of this project.  Yes, it does have the words ‘Make Donuts’ in there.  So when I saw this show up on the One Brick calendar, I couldn't have been fast enough to opt-in as an EC.  As soon as I was assigned, throughout the preceding month Wilson – who was the EM – and I were promoting this event with One Brick as well as Chicago Cares.  We encouraged people to sign-up and promised everyone it would be the best time that they would ever have.  I mean come on, have you checked the title!

Mmm...donuts!
This was also the first volunteer project that I would be doing outside the Chicago city limits, Oak Park technically being a suburb. Thankfully it was accessible by the CTA, so I could take the train and got off at Oak Park on a beautiful morning.  I walked up to the location where the weekly Saturday Farmer’s Market was being held, as has been the case during the summer months for several years.  And for all of those years one tradition has endured – the famous Pilgrim Church donuts!  It is one of those traditions that generations talk about and people come from far and wide to buy.  Every year Pilgrim Church partners with more than a dozen local non-profit organizations each summer to make the donuts and coffee at the Oak Park Farmers Market.  They share the revenue with the organizations and help to get information about these organizations out to the Oak Park Community.  Today while One Brick volunteers would be helping with activity, the proceeds were going to go to support ‘Wonder Works Children’s Museum’.  A two-in-one deal for us!

The supplies
I arrived to find Wilson already there with some of his Red Cross volunteers, including Sarah - a travelling teenager from Switzerland - who was spending a few weeks in Chicago and volunteering while here.  We also had Laura – who had brought her visiting Mom – and some of the regulars like Polly, Franklin, Anvi and Sylvia.  We took some pictures while we waited and then one of the organizers from the church, Mary, came over to assign our duties.  A group had been volunteering since early morning and was in the kitchen making donuts.  We were going to assist them as they wrapped up and also be responsible for preparing the donuts and eventually selling them.  They needed 5-6 volunteer on sales and while Laura and her mom took over donuts sales, Wilson’s Red Cross folks took over coffee and juice.  The rest of us went downstairs. 

The fryer
The basement of the church has a restaurant style kitchen with heavy duty equipment, all of which was being used since 4:30 am in making donuts.  Some of our volunteers started taking finished donuts and dumping them in trays of powdered or cinnamon sugar.  Some of the donuts were being sold in the classic plain style as well.  Once the trays were full, there was a small window through which we could pass these to the team outside where they had the sales booth.  Mary asked if I could help out in the kitchen and I was more than happy to.  I put on an apron and went in to get my instructions, which were really to be a helper.  The way donuts were being made was there was a bag of pre-mixed donuts powder which went into a mixer with water.  After the batter was ready, it went into a dropper, which dropped perfect donuts into a huge pool of fryer.  What gave these donuts their taste, was that the fryer used lard instead of oil, and it had to be constantly replenished.  Once the donuts were done, someone removed the hot batch and then couple of girls put them on trays, loaded trolleys and sent them outside for mixing prepping with sugar etc.  My job was to ensure that water was readily available for the batter, sometimes weigh the donuts mix on the scale - 4.3 kg - and then also help pour the mixed batter into the dropper.  The batter was thick and gooey and at times I had to get my hands dirty trying to scrape off from one bowl to another.  I even helped lift a 50 lbs. box of lard when one fell on the floor.  The point was that I felt involved in the process of making donuts!

The Saturday Market
The donuts were flying off the shelf and we were constantly making a new batch.  After our 13th bag was done, we decided against opening another one, but that still meant that 100s could be prepared.  We then started cleaning the table and the mixing equipment, but it still was a chore due to the sticky batter.  We had plenty of rags at our disposal and the only thing you could really do was scrub.  I was on it as was another girl who had been there since earlier and quite honestly, she was doing a terrific job.  I cleaned my area and then emptied the water cooler before going outside to take a break.  I walked through the market and sampled all the fresh cheese and other goodies that were on offer.  I stopped at a bakers stall and purchased something called “Mesmerizing Pastry”, which was every bit its namesake.  At one place I bought a ‘Bloody Mary Mix’ and the lady selling it said that I could use it like a topping sauce for leftovers.  “I am going to use it as a topping for Vodka”, I replied!

I came back and while the donuts had been made, the wiping down of the kitchen was in full flow. Since it was a nice summer’s day, a lot of tables and chairs had been set outside.  As we were almost at closing time, these now had to be wiped down, folded and stored inside a shed.  I had soap water and rags to do the task and was joined by some other volunteers as well.  A guy from the church was giving orders and from the way he was talking, you could have mistaken our activity for some military battle exercise.  The sun was blazing hot and it slowed our progress, plus there were a lot of chairs!  Furthermore, the gentleman wanted the storage inside the shed to be precise and there was an art to it.  After some time all the chairs and tables had been stored to the gentleman’s satisfaction and I went back to see that most of the cleaning had been done as well.  I saw that all of our volunteers were being thorough about it, Sylvia even cleaning the exterior of the garbage can, which had been covered with powdered sugar! 

The donuts crew
We all went upstairs and the sales team was down to their last few donuts.  I asked Laura which ones were the most popular and she said that almost everyone went for the coated stuff, with a few purists who asked for the plain ones.  We had all worked hard and now it was time to relax.  A few of us walked down Oak Park’s streets and had lunch at ‘Eric’s Deli’.  We chatted about Red Cross and emergency response and how chaotic everything in Chicago would have been if the city had won it’s Olympic bid.  It had been an extremely satisfying morning and I told Polly so as she drove me back to downtown.  I am accustomed to doing projects and have done many of them.  But making donuts?  I mean come on, it doesn't get better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment