Tour De Cure At Bike The Drive

Location: Grant Park
Date: Sunday, May 26, 2013; 8:00-11:00 am

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

While Freddie Mercury and the boys may have wanted to ride their bikes, I was only volunteering for this one, where people of Chicago and neighboring areas were having a ride to support finding a cure for diabetes.  I was going be shadowing an EC for this One Brick event and was thus required to arrive earlier.  I walked to Grant Park and as I got closer, I could see a flurry of riders, and just crossing the street was a challenge.  I managed to get across and went over to the volunteer tent where despite their best efforts, they were unable to find my name on the list and then we realized that I was at the wrong tent.  I was supposed to check-in with ‘The American Diabetes Association'.  The send me over to where the ADA was located, which meant another crossing of the street and I finally arrived at their tent.  Through this I realized that while the ride was to find a cure, ADA was not the only diabetes related organization that was benefiting. 

Please share the road with walkers!
Jennifer from ADA assigned me and Tracy, another One Brick volunteer, to the task of handing out t-shirts.  Polly, who was the EM and Kristen, who was the EC, arrived soon thereafter along with the other members of our crew.  Since I was to shadow Kristen, Polly sent us both with pamphlets promoting ADAs another ride on June 9th out in the suburbs.  Along with the pamphlets there was a coupon that let one save $5 off their registration.  People were winding down from their ride and were relaxing on the green or walking about seeing the other festivities.  Our job was to approach them and while I would hand them the pamphlet and mention the event, Kristen would immediately follow-up with the coupon and inform them about the savings.  While some people took these things, many politely declined, saying that this was the only ride of their year.  It was quite obvious that people did not want to carry anything else with them. 

Kristen and I went back to the ADA tent and this time Polly and Jennifer had a new task for us. The riders had parked in a garage a few blocks west in the loop.  Once the ride was over, they would go back to the garage and someone needed to watch their bikes while they got their cars.  Kristen and I were dispatched to that location and Polly said that she would send a couple of volunteers our way as well.  Kristen and I walked over there and arrived at the building but there was no sign of any booth or signs.  We even went inside the garage where the cars were supposed to be parked, but there was nothing there as well.  We decided to walk around the building and that’s when we saw a tent with a table of some refreshments and to women sitting next to it.  One of them was Courtney, an intern with ADA and the other was Lupe.  Courtney said that she had been at the table since 4:30 am and so far no one had come to avail of the goodies.  Well, goodies really meant water, Gatorade, banana’s, pretzels, bagels, cream cheese, peanut butter and some protein bars.  It wasn’t exactly breakfast at the 'Ritz', but something people would perhaps appreciate after a ride.

I chatted with Courtney who mentioned that she had Type I diabetes and has to wear an Insulin pump and take measurements by pricking her fingers multiple times a day.  I mentioned about my research in graduate school and how we were working towards eliminating this exact problem and the look of hope in her eyes was real.  She said that she was diagnosed at age 13 and it was a rough time in college, not being able to live a normal lifestyle.  To hear that my research could someday lead to some amount of relief for patients was a hope that she could hang on to.  This made me glad that I had come out this morning and that’s why Courtney did not mind being there since before dawn.  According to the description on One Brick opportunity description and ADA website, “The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fighting for those affected by diabetes.  The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes.  Founded in 1940, their mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.” 

Seeing that there wasn’t much to do and since new volunteers were on their way, Kristen left for the main location and I was soon joined by Leisha and Charles Paul.  This was Leisha’s first One Brick event and I did my EC duty by welcoming her and talking about what we do.  Charles Paul on the other hand did not require much talking to.  In fact, based on what he told me, forget the beer dude; he is ‘The Most Interesting Man In The World’.  Some of the major accomplishments that he mentioned were: Aerospace engine designer for Rolls Royce, had been a back-up Quarter Back for OSU, was training for a marathon at the Arctic circle, frequently travels around the world – in first class of course – can fly a commercial plane as well as fix it, was a child genius at Math and oh, has an IQ of 177.  Well, I guess you meet all sorts at these events!

Bikes that we were supposed to look after
Aside from the fact that none of the above was verified online, I enjoyed chatting with him.  We talked about cars, especially Rolls Royce Phantom.  He told me that I should take a test drive and I said my bank balance wasn’t strong enough to get me a ride.  He said what about pre-owned.  I said not for pre or post-owned!  He asked me what was the most exciting place that I had been to and I asked him to define exciting.  He said something that you couldn't stop talking about and while there isn't one place for me that fits this description, I did mention Acadia National Park.  I asked him about himself and he mentioned driving a Camaro from Miami to Minnesota at 180 mph.  Then he proceeded to tell Courtney what she had for breakfast by studying the soles of her shoes.  I thought it was bit early in the day for that line to work, but at least it was amusing for us. 

The team
The reason why we had so much time on our hands was because no one was coming.  But that was not dissuading Lupe, who was full of energy.  She was yelling at bikers on the road offering them water and Gatorade.  When people did come, she was handing them stuff to eat.  Towards the end we did get a lot of traffic and many left their bikes for us to ‘guard’ while they went for their car.  Lupe was ensuring that they were well fed and when we were almost out of food, she went around personally delivering remainder of the things so that we could pack the table.  It was a bit chilly and at one stage I went to go get some Hot Chocolate for myself and Leisha.  Soon it was time to take down the tent and a guy from ADA came to help us.  I told Lupe that she had been fantastic and wished Charles Paul luck in his adventures.  I joined Polly, Kristen, Tracy and Andrea for lunch at ‘Rudy’s’ and we talked about Charles Paul and the obvious comparison with Wilson!  We chatted for a bit and then after a few pictures I left.  It had been a worthwhile morning, where I had seen firsthand how what we do can benefit those who need it the most.  I may not have an IQ of 177.  In fact, I did not even ride a bike.  But I was glad to have contributed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment