Get Into Character! Record Children's Book With Jumpstart!

Location: Jumpstart Offices
Date: Monday, August 12, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

“Goodnight blueberry patch,” Little Bear said while eating a few more berries on his way to the den.

The beautiful location where I found my book
In a gift shop in one of the most remote parts of the world that I have visited, on top of Mount Alyeska in Girdwood Alaska, I found a book called ‘Goodnight Alaska – Goodnight Little Bear’ by Bernd and Susan Richter.  The breathtaking view, something the likes of which I had never seen before, demanded that I get something to memorialize my visit.  As I looked through the most charming gift shop, perched above the mountain, I came across this book.  Knowing that in a few days I was going to be part of the most unique volunteer project in my time with One Brick, I bought it for the project.  After a journey of thousands of miles, the book made its way to Jumpstart offices.

The description of the project on One Brick website said, “Jumpstart is a national early education organization that addresses the crisis in early education and is a research-based, cost-effective supplemental program in preschools serving low-income families that encourages literacy and socio-emotional development.  Since many of our preschools have experienced budget cuts and staff shortages, meaning that resources are stretched thin and children do not have enough time with books being read aloud to them, One Brick volunteers will be helping Jumpstart by creating audio recordings of children's books.  This will help provide preschools with audiobooks of children's stories that children can listen to on their own to facilitate reading or the teacher can play in addition to reading aloud to the class, giving children greater opportunities to build comprehension and vocabulary.  This event is looking for volunteers to record themselves expressively and creatively reading children's storybooks to create a CD that we can provide to our preschools.  So let's get into character and come help low-income preschools!  Volunteers are encouraged to bring at least one children's book that they would like to record. Feel free to bring your favorite book from when you were young! This book will then be donated directly to a low-income preschool-aged child in the Jumpstart program.”  It went on to say that, “Since 1993, they have impacted over 50,000 preschoolers nationwide, and in Chicago have 250 corps members and serve over 650 children each year”.  I will be the first to admit that my voice is terrible and I have no business recording anything, let alone audio books.  But I was fascinated by it and was sold on the description.  So it was with a mixture of trepidation and excitement, that I arrived to find Wilson and Laura, who were the Event leaders. 

The offices were in Gold Coast and with its high loft style ceiling design and open spaces; it looked like a creative place.  Indeed, there were many other businesses in the building, which dealt with art and media.  Amy, the Jumpstart site rep told us a bit more about the organization, especially how they assist low income schools who do not have staff to read to the kids.  She said that a child from a low-income family is usually 3-4 million words behind a similar child from an affluent family by age of 4.  That was a staggering statistics and made our work here that much more important.  The books that we would be recording today would be handed to various schools and used by the kids there as audio books.  We were to be divided into 3 groups of 4 each and while one group would record on an iPhone, the other would be doing so on a video recorder and a third on a Mac.  I was paired with Danielle, Hannah and Julia – who is a professional voice artist.  We were given an iPhone and located in an open office.  Unfortunately for us, the phone in the office kept ringing and eventually Amy had to come and unplug it.  This did not prevent the other external noises as well as the chatter of the people outside.  But we decided to plough through it all.

My book
The first book that we selected was indeed my ‘Goodnight Alaska’.  We decided that rather than one person reading it, we would have one narrator and others playing characters.  For this one I was playing the narrator whereas Danielle was the Little Bear, Julia the Momma Bear and Hannah was some of the other animal characters in the story.  We did a dry run and made some tweaks such as all of us saying “Goodnight” in unison when during the final pages all animals wish the Little Bear.  We then recorded on the phone and once we were done, played back to realize that we had done a fantastic job.  Next, we selected Julia’s book, ‘On The Night You Were Born’.  This one had a lot of potential for enhancements such as sound effects.  We decided to incorporate them and this meant I was whistling as a bird and someone else was quacking as a duck and the third was honking like geese.  Julia said “The End” one page before it was due and so we had to erase and record again.  But we had so much fun doing it the first time around, that nobody was complaining.

Next came Danielle’s book, ‘Bernstein Bears And Too Much Junk Food’.  I was playing Papa Bear, Julia was Mama Bear, Danielle played the Brother and Sister Bears and Hannah was the Doctor.  The book was about Momma Bear teaching the rest of the family the virtues of dieting and was once again we were totally engaged in our characters.  After that was ‘Franklin In The Dark’ where I played the Tiger and tried to do my best deep voice impersonation.  Following this was ‘Jamberry’ and this is where our creativity moved up a notch thanks to Hannah.  The book was rich with lot of visuals and she decided to make it more interactive for the kids.  Along with the audio files that we were recording, the kids were also going to given a copy of the actual book to follow.  Hannah suggested that after reading a page, we ask the kids a question on each page, such as finding an object.  This meant that we add a pause at the end of each page to give them the opportunity to answer.  This was a great idea and we took full advantage of it. 

All the books that we recorded
Finally, we did “Teeny Tiny Mouse”, which is a book about colors.  A tiny mouse is trying to identify colors of various objects in the room.  We recorded the book and then I said that we should do it again, this time with me as the narrator, asking the kids to identify some other objects of similar color on the page and after a pause, pointing one out.  This worked really well and I thought that this was our finest job and we had saved the best for the end.  The other groups came out of their session looking similarly pleased and it seems that every single volunteer had enjoyed themselves.  Amy thanked us and we continued debating which group had done the best job over some spiked milkshakes at ’25 Degrees’.  I told Laura and Wilson that this had been my favorite One Brick project to date and I was definitely looking forward to returning again.

I consider myself extremely fortunate because even after all these years, I remember my parents reading to me as a kid.  My dad used to not only buy, but also read comic books to me animatedly and there were even occasions where my grandma got all of the cousins and me together for an afternoon of reading.  Years later I was in high school and while I was a voracious reader, I did not enjoy reading anything in my native language.  My mom insisted that I read this book and since it was not in English, I made her read it to me, and I remember nights after dinner where we sat down laughing at some of the things in that book.  One of the sweetest sights I used to see frequently was in Pittsburgh where I used to visit my married friends weekly for a movie night and often find one reading a book loudly while the other cooked.  Books are one of the greatest treasures known to man and while I completely understand people’s preference of reading a book at their own pace, having one read to you is a special feeling.  Over the past several years I have listened to a lot of books on tape, preferring to combine that with either long drives or walks.  During my commute from Massachusetts to Connecticut every week, I used to devour audio books borrowed from the public library and often associate certain books with locations I was at when I heard them for the first time.  Later, I used to look forward to my long riverfront walks on Sundays in Pittsburgh, as I walked listening to books, and in fact read the entire series of my favorite authors during those years. For the past 2 years I have done similar walks in Chicago while listening to books, and look forward to my annual ritual of listening to my favorite book ‘The Shadow Of The Wind’ by Carlos Ruiz Zafon every August, trying to visit similar places where I was at when I heard certain passages for the first time.  The point is that audio books, or having something read to you, can be a memorable experience.  I will never forget any of these moments from my life and having had an opportunity to help create something that may lead to similar memories for a kid was a privilege.  Without a question, this had most certainly been my favorite One Brick project to date. 

“Goodnight Mom,” Little Bear said while snuggling into his favorite corner.  “Goodnight and sweet dreams my little one”, Mama Bear replied before both fell into a deep sleep that would last for many months.

No comments:

Post a Comment