Read–With-Me At HGS

Location: House Of The Good Shepherd
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2014; 6:30-7:45 pm

As has been the case during my visits to various places this winter, it was extremely slippery on the sidewalks as I walked to HGS.  Even if my cautious approach, I was early enough and arrived to find that Wilson was opening doors for everyone.  Besides him there were other regulars like Galen, Marc and our Volunteer leader Tanya.  In fact, it looked like it was going to be a full house.  I chatted with Galen about the Chicago Cares project that she leads and which teaches kids Geography.  She mentioned that ‘Target’ had given the project a grant whose objective was to educate on the various U.S. States.  She said that the problem was the book which was being used, since it did not have information on all the states.  I said that perhaps it was written before the Union expanded!

The kids for the junior program arrived and as usual flocked towards Galen.  After that group left, Tanya led the rest of us down to the reading area, where unlike the previous times, the kids were already there.  Many kids went over and hugged the adults that they already knew and obviously I wasn’t one of them.  We got the crates of books out and Tanya said that we should go around and introduce ourselves.  We did that and then the kids had go and select a book.  I asked a little girl if she wanted to read with me and she said no, and that she had picked another guy.   Aah, the age and the situation may change but the words remain the same!  Marc was popular as usual and had 2 kids reading with him.  I saw another girl trying to select a book and I waited for her, hoping that she would pick me…but she didn’t.  So in the end it was me waiting with Wilson and Tanya, while all the other volunteers started reading with the kids. 

Is that a monster?
Tanya said that we would be making paper snowflakes as our activity after the reading, and I said that since I wasn’t doing anything, I could practice making those.  This involved folding the paper in halves and then making some cuts so that when you unfold, you get a pattern that was like a snowflake.  Both, Tanya and I struggled to get the exact folds and as I was doing that, Wilson came and asked if I would be willing to read with a little boy.  I was more than delighted and hurried over before he could change his mind.  I asked him what book he wanted to read and he was mumbling something, but did not have a specific choice.  I saw a book on cats and asked if he wanted that and he said that he didn’t like cats. He finally chose a book called ‘The Good Little Girl’, and that was because there was someone on the cover whom he referred to as a “monster”! 

We sat down on the couch and as we opened the book, I could tell that he wasn’t going to be totally invested in the actual reading.  In fact, I saw that he was making up his own words, rather than following the ones on the page.  He was more interested in finding out about the monster and on all of the pages; he would try to associate everything with the monster.  I started reading the book to him and found it to be quite verbose.  So instead of reading everything verbatim, I decided to tell him the story instead.  It was about a girl “Miranda”, who becomes jealous and rude when she doesn’t get what she wants, and is taken over by an evil looking girl, “Lucretia” – the kid’s monster.  Now “Miranda” is trapped inside “Lucretia”, and as “Lucretia” becomes more bossy, “Miranda” realizes her mistake and how she had been nasty towards everyone.  As with every other children’s stories, there was a moral to the tale and a nice ending.  In the book “Miranda” had a dog and a teddy bear.  I asked my kid if he likes teddies and he said yes.  I asked him what he would name a teddy if he had one and he said something that sounded like “Umpa”.  He then said that I was like “Umpa”. A teddy then. That was a first!

Looks like fun
My kid was distracted and looking at what was happening with his friends around us.  He called someone stupid and I said that it was wrong to say that, reminding him of the story that we had just read.  He wanted to take a look at the pictures again and whenever someone hideous looking appeared, he would call it a monster and ask me to read that page again.  Even with these multiple readings, he never had much interest and so we went and picked another book called, “Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot vs. The Voodoo Vultures From Venus”.  That was a mouthful if there ever was any!  I think the reason he chose this was because of the "Robot" and he was definitely interested at first.  Once again, we sat down and looked at the pictures, while I read some of the relevant parts of the story.  He liked it when the "Vultures" appeared, perhaps because they reminded him of the monsters. 

We struggled with this for a bit, till Tanya announced that it was time for the Arts and Crafts activity and we grabbed some chairs at the table.  He wanted to pick blue colored scissors and paper and then before we could begin, wanted to see the instructions - in fact demanded to see them.  For someone who was half of my height, this was a power move.  There weren’t any instructions, so he proceeded to start cutting and I said that before we did that, we needed to fold the paper.  “You do it then”, he said, now clearly in charge.  So I made some cuts and a sorry looking snowflake like thing appeared.  He now wanted to stick something on it and asked me to get the glue from the cabinet, knowing where all the supplies were kept.  We went and took some glue sticks, most of which were empty.  But he found some to put some on the snowflake and then he asked me to tie a thread around it so that he could wear around his neck.  It was so long so as to reach his shoes, but he still wore it and walked about the room.  It was time for us to leave and I helped clean up and put everything back in the cabinet.  The kids left, including my boy with the contraption around his neck.  For an evening that had started slowly, it had certainly picked up.  I had enjoyed my time with the kid and I hope that he had with me…even though he preferred the monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment