More Organizing Fun At Night Ministry!

Location: Night Ministry
Date: Tuesday, January 07, 2014; 6:00-8:30 pm

Here we go again
The last time that I had done this project had been my first outing as an EC for One Brick and had led to a bit of, well, misunderstanding regarding others perception about my role.  Since then I have had several other projects as EC under my belt and am a lot more confident.  This evening however I was not the EC, in fact having signed up only because the Chicago Cares project that I was supposed to attend got cancelled due to the weather.  And weather was certainly a factor as I arrived at Damen CTA stop and started walking towards the ‘Night Ministry’ offices through treacherous unpaved snow.  For getting there you have to go under the ‘Metra’ bridge and since there was construction going on there, I had to find an alternate route, which was more harrowing than anything I have encountered on my way to these projects. 

I arrived at the site with my life and limbs intact to find that most folks were already there, including Rich and Dave.  Kinga, who was the EM, had an assembly line of several volunteers sorting something in one room and so asked Rich, Dave and me to join her in the bigger room for another task.  There were several bins and boxes all over the place and our first task was to carry all “Baby Products” such as diapers, pacifiers and other boxes outside and stack them up in the reception area in what can be best described as a “nook”.  While Dave and I did that, Rich labeled boxes of towels and bed sheets and then we had to take those boxes to another room and stack them there.  No kidding that this project is titles “More Organizing”!  But it was all good since it meant that the organization was getting a lot of donations and it would all find its way to the people who need them the most.

What's "magical" about them?
There were several bins stacked to the brim with winter accessories and Kinga wanted the three of us to sort through them; and separate the winter hats, gloves, socks, scarves etc.  I started with a bin which had a combination of heavy-duty winter gloves; light colored gloves, as well as something called “magic gloves”.  Now I have read and seen ‘Harry Potter’ several times over, but never had I ever come across an accessory such as that!  The other items in that bin were dark hats, light colored hats as well as knitted hats.  We had to decide if the hats that we were sorting were dark or light and put them in separate piles, which went into their own bins.  It was the same with gloves.  Some of the gloves were obviously feminine and we sorted them with the “light pile”.  There was a lot to sort and it was taking us a long time; plus Kinga kept dumping new stuff in the pile.  It was never-ending, but once again, it meant only good things.  The long time we spent on the floor gave us an opportunity to chat on variety of topics ranging from books on kindle to TV shows that were available for live streaming.  Plus, Rich told us about the Chinese American Museum Of Chicago, where he serves on the board.  The bins were getting full and I asked Kinga where we could find new ones.  She said that empty bins were a precious commodity here and that I should “sit inside” a bin to push things in tighter.  Bet I never thought I would hear that when I woke up this morning!

The Stocking
Despite Kinga dumping more stuff on our pile, we managed to sort everything and stuffed and stocked the bins...with some of us providing the required pressure to seal!  I went over to the other room where the assembling line was , well, “unstuffing” stockings.  Who says things have to only work one ways.  Various bins were being filled with things that were coming out, such as toothpastes, toothbrushes, mints, deodorants, playing cards, tissues, gift cards, notepads, pens etc.  I joined them to help out and it was kind of poetic that I do so. One of my friends is on the ‘Young Professionals Board’ for the ‘Night Ministry’ and her team had organized ”Stocking Stuffing Drive” for the holidays; to which I had contributed some items for toddlers.  While these stockings appeared to be for older people, it was funny that I should be present when we “unstuffed” them.  Aah, my holiday life had come a full circle!


All done!
Kinga apparently wasn’t done with us and she called Rich, Dave and myself back to the earlier room since there were more things to sort.  While Rich and Dave dug into more gloves and hats, I made pairs of socks by turning one into other – a technique I learned just then – and then tossing them into a pile.  This also meant that once we were done, all the bins that had been tightly shut had to be reopened to put these new things in!  We managed to do that and then the final task for me was to stack the bins of thermal socks in a corner and then we were done.  Rich was carrying a bag full of toys and other kids stuff for his other projects as we left to go to a nearby bar for drinks.  We had done a terrific job in 2.5 hours and Kinga is a fantastic leader for such projects.  Without help it would have taken 'Night Ministry' a long time to accomplish this.  Plus, it had been nice to catch up with folks that I truly admire for their work ethic and general attitude.  Organizing Fun indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment