Young Scientists At McCormick

Location: McCormick Elementary School
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014; 10:00 am-12:30 pm

Once again, I was going back to a project that I had last attended almost a year ago.  Then I had encountered some really spirited kids, including a little girl who had won me over.  One of the experiments that we had done was a probability one using M&M’s.   This time, our volunteer leader Maureen sent out the instructions beforehand and once again, M&M’s were on the agenda.  Looks like they are on an annual cycle as well!  Wilson who is regular at this venue picked me up in the morning, which was definitely more convenient than taking public transportation.  We arrived at the school to see that several volunteers had assembled, but some of them were there for other programs like, Arts and Crafts, Reading and a project titled, 'Adventures In Math'.  Wow, talk about selling math to kids!

Besides the M&M game, we were also doing an experiment to understand Acids and Bases, and also an activity called 'Winter Worksheet', which was a word search game.  There is a cupboard where all the supplies are usually kept and for the next few minutes, I tried to look for what we would need today, just as the kids arrived.  Maureen keeps the kids on a tight leash and while they were making some noise, all of them took their regular seats.  As an icebreaker, Maureen asked the volunteers to introduce themselves and state their favorite color.  This is always a tricky one for me since I really like all colors and it depends on the context.  For example, I like to wear black; I think green eyes are fantastic, red for cars and so and so forth.  But I went with violet since it looks sophisticated and is makes a melodious sound when you say it.  

All the volunteers took their places on each table and I was next to one with two little girls, so I asked if I could join them and they nodded.  Since this is an annual program, all the kids have a badge that they made at the beginning of the year and which they collect from Maureen when they come in each time.  Both of these girls did not have one.  I asked their names and they introduced themselves as Millie and Sandra.  I said I would look for their badges and after a bit of searching I was able to find the one for Millie, but not for Sandra.  So I gave her a Chicago Cares sticker and several colored markers, for her to design a colorful nametag.  She however just wrote her name and was ready to go.

M&M's again
We started with the Word Search puzzle and with the winter theme, had words like “Snowy”, “Downhill” etc.  Having been a part of some competitive word search puzzles during What’s The Word projects at Lakeview Nursing, I was also looking for words along with the two girls, determined that our group found all the words as soon as possible.  It was apparent that Millie was really smart and able to find a lot of the words fairly quickly.  Sandra was slower than her and we were working together.  Both of them were extremely shy and smiled a lot.  We found all of the words just as time ran out and pleased with our efforts, moved to the next task with the M&M’s.  There was a cup of different colored M&M’s in front of us and the idea was for both of them to alternate picking from the cup and then noting on a worksheet which color they had found from the available Red, Orange, Yellow, Brown, Blue and Green.  After 25 tries each we would count the total, tally by color and then calculate the probability of finding certain colors based off that data.  As luck would have it, Sandra kept finding Orange and each time she did that, she would look at me and smile.  I was beginning to get fond of the little one.

Our graph
After they both had their 25 turns, we did some preliminary probability, though I did not want to reduce to lowest fractions, since I wasn’t sure they knew how.  I remembered one summer afternoon long long time ago...in another lifetime, when my dad was trying to teach me fractions and I was definitely older than them.  Another volunteer on our table was going all out with his kids, doing some complex math with lowest common denominators etc. as the kids looked at him in confused horror.  Hey, at least I had gotten a smile.  We answered some of the questions on the worksheet and then using colored crayons the girls filled out a graphical chart depicting how many M&M's of various colors they had found.  Once they were done, they started coloring their 'Winter Worksheet' from earlier, while I picked up the crayons and did my own graph combining their results.  The kids were allowed to eat their M&M's and Sandra kept offering me.  She would remove one M&M, put it on the paper and nudge me.  I would thank her, pop it in my mouth and then after some time she would nudge me again.

We took a break and the next experiment was ‘Acids/Bases’.  We had 9 different solutions – Soda, Milk, Baking Soda, Dish Soap, Poweraid, OJ, Lemon Juice, Distilled Water and Tap Water.  Idea was to write down what we were testing, guess if it was going to be acidic, basic or neutral and then validating by dipping a litmus paper in each using tweezers.  We were to observe the color change against the primer that Maureen had and then reporting back the pH number and our conclusions.  Myself, another volunteer and our 4 kids combined to do this together and each kid had a choice of what they wanted to test.  I must say that I was surprised at some of the data, for example Poweraid is really acidic and so was dish soap.  I said that it could be due to the citrus in the dish soap, while the other volunteer said that he should stop drinking the Poweraid based on this evidence of acidity!  The kids really enjoyed this activity, especially watching the pH paper color change.  Sandra, in her typical shy manner, kept asking me what she should write in her observations worksheet.  Man, she was sweet.

From the most Acidic to Basic
We were done and before clean-up, I asked the kids to arrange everything from the most acidic – lemon juice - to the most basic - baking soda.  After that we disposed of all the solutions into a giant jug, which looked as disgusting as anything I have seen after it was full of all the solutions.  The time was up and the kids formed a line to leave.  Maureen has really disciplined them well, for example whenever she would say, “Fourth graders”, everyone would stop whatever they were doing, freeze, clap and look at her.  After the kids left we tidied up and the Maureen assembled all of the volunteers for reflection.  She said that “Service without reflection is just work”.  We discussed the parts we liked, what we could do better etc.  I left with Wilson and it was really a shame that I had been unable to come for almost a year.  I had really enjoyed my time with the girls, especially little Sandra.  Hopefully I will see her shy smile soon. 

*All the client's names have been changed in order to respect their privacy

No comments:

Post a Comment