Super Sunday I: Komen Race For The Cure

Location: Butler Field
Date: Sunday, May 12, 2013; 6:45-11:00 am

My t-shirt
Yes, this was another ‘Super Sunday’ with 3 projects, starting with ‘Susan Komen Race For The Cure’ at crack of dawn.  Furthermore, it was ‘Mother’s Day’ as well.  I had signed up as a volunteer long time ago and there were multiple events going on, including a timed 5 and 10 K run, as well as something called a ‘Fun Walk’. There were several volunteering opportunities, but I couldn't pass up on something called a ‘Fun Walk’ and hence I signed-up as a ‘Course Marshall’  for this 1-mile walk.  It was a bit cold when I checked in at the Volunteer tent and was directed towards Sunny, who would be my coordinator.  Sunny was a very perky and enthusiastic person and since I was early than she had expected, she told me to walk around the park, but with a plea to come back! 

The festivities started early
Amidst the White Cherry Blossom Trees, Butler Fled was starting to buzz with activity.  The food tent was serving Hawaiian Bread and other baked goodies and while there were some game tents, the largest crowd was around a giant speaker and they were doing the ‘Cupid Shuffle’ at 7 in the morning.  This is what I call brilliant festivities.  True to my promise to Sunny, I came back to my waiting area but no volunteer was showing up for the 1-mile walk.  I told Sunny to go inform the main Volunteer sign-up tent and ask them to send us new signees.  Since we were waiting, I had an opportunity to converse with Sunny and learned that she was a nursing intern, who was visiting from South Korea for 9 months.  She had spent 5 months in New York City and was in middle of a 4 month stint in Chicago.  I was impressed that she had found time to volunteer, even during her short stay in the city.  She asked about my schedule and when I told her, she said that it was like a job, calling me ‘Professional Volunteer’.  I laughed and disagreed, thinking she should meet Wilson to be truly impressed.  I complimented her on her dedication and even though she said that mine was more, I disagree. 

We were still waiting for other volunteer’s to show up, and I chatted with another man who said that he had just come back from running in the ‘Hong Kong Marathon’, something that he wanted to do before he retired.  I said that he looked young and he replied that he was 55.  I said perhaps in body, but not in mind, and he responded that in body he was perhaps 85!  He mentioned that he does not listen to music while running, since there was enough entertainment around him and he liked observing and listening to other people.  Finally, Sunny came and directed me and 4 other ladies who were 1-mile walk volunteers, to a van.  There was a group of high-school kids in there and the van was going to drop all of us at different locations on the course.  The kids were volunteering as marshals for the run and were clearly excited.  They were chatting about eating Escargot’s the previous evening and referred to them as gummy bears with garlic mushroom flavor.  I have never eaten them and after listening to this description have no intention of ever trying them.  I told them that it was ideal since yesterday was in fact ‘Eat What You Want Day’, having learned about that in As You Like It.  Then I told them that May 18th was ‘Pizza Party Day’ and this led to an interesting discussion since one of the girls had never eaten a pie.  For the rest of the journey we discussed the merits of sweet vs. savory pie and another of the ladies who was volunteering for the 1-mile walk chimed in as well.

Walkers to the left, Runners to the right
Me and the lady were to be deployed on lakeshore drive and our job was to direct the walkers along the correct path.  The tricky thing was around the corner and along lakeshore drive where the sidewalk was going to be shared by the walkers and the 10K runners.  It was a narrow sidewalk and there were some cones separating the path – left for walkers and right for the runners.  The lady and I separated and I was positioned right at the turn where the walkers and runners were to merge.  There was a slight flaw in the design and I couldn't see how we could keep everyone honest, without having more volunteers downstream.  My fears were realized when the mass of walkers started to come.  I tried my best to ask them to stay to the left, but these were groups of families with strollers and dogs and after a few meters, they started drifting towards the runner’s lane.  In the meanwhile the runners were coming down full-steam and had to yell out for people to make way.  I really did try my best, but short of yanking people to the left, there was nothing that I could.do.  I mean, these people were out supporting a good cause and they deserved to complete their walk in peace.  The fault lay with the organizers and the poor planning in route design. 

What really matters
Soon the inevitable happened and one of the runners went and complained, leading to one of the organizers coming down and reprimanding me for not doing my job.  Plus, he caught me at a moment when I was giving directions to someone, and said that I could spend less time chatting and more time making sure people follow instructions.  I told this ignorant man that he was welcome to join me and try; and told him that we could do with some other volunteers down the road to manage traffic.  Soon, the walkers stopped coming down the path and I could leave.  This episode had left a bad taste in my mouth and I went down to the Volunteers tent and told Sunny about the ignorant man.  She was apologetic, but just like the 'MS Walk as well as ACS Walk and Roll from before, the organizers could do well to respect the volunteers who are trying to support the men and women who are out there for the cause.  Susan G. Komen institute has done some great things for Breast Cancer Research and according to their website, is a global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1 billion since its inception in 1982.  The following week I gave a somewhat bad review in my feedback to the institute and they deserve better than my complaint.  In any case, besides my uncomfortable encounter with the ignorant man, the people doing the walk had enjoyed themselves and based on the turnout, we had raised a lot of money.  That’s the main point isn't it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment