Dinner At La Casa Norte

Location: Solid Ground Supportive Housing Program
Date: Wednesday, May 29, 2013; 5:45-7:45 pm

La Casa Norte is a service agency that helps youth and families that are faced with homelessness.  It is also located a bit far from my workplace and so I was scrambling to get there on time.  This was compounded by the fact that I could not hail a cab.  I wanted to call Karen, our Volunteer leader and let her know that I was running late, but did not have her cell phone number.  There was only one way to resolve this and so I asked Wilson to provide me with her contact information and sure enough, he sent it to me.  I left a message for her and headed there in a cab, arriving 10 minutes late.  Karen was briefing the rest of the volunteers in a conference room and I noticed Tash and Meredith, from Chicago Cares, as well as two other volunteers – Richard and Catrina.  The first thing I noticed about Karen was her enthusiasm and I always like seeing that in our leaders.

Mmm brownies!
We were inside the residence of the young folk who reside there and went up to the kitchen and dining room.  While Richard and Catrina worked on the meat, which was steak tips, and while Tash and Meredith were going to work on the salad and corn, respectively, Karen asked if I could make the brownies.  Well now, I have had a long career of consuming brownies, but never make them.  I told Karen about that and she said that it was better since I would be doing something for the first time.  She told me to follow the instructions on the box, which included mixing 19.5 Oz of Pillsbury mix with ¼ cup water, ½ cup oil and 2 eggs.  I had to go searching for measuring cups for water and oil, but soon had the ingredients in the bowl.  Next step was mixing through 50 strokes.  Not 49, not 51, but 50 strokes.  Now, I know that baking is an exact science when it comes to measurements, but this was taking it to the extreme!  I kept track in my head and soon had a gooey batter which I spread on a baking pan, which was going into the oven for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.  Encouraged by my success, I proceeded to do another box and once done, added the mix to the existing pan and put it in the oven.  Then I set the timer in my phone for 30 minutes.  Throughout this process, Karen was most encouraging and almost like a cheerleader.

Throughout our cooking sessions, almost all of the residents had assembled in the garden outside and were chatting amongst themselves.  One however was helping Tash with salad, and was doing so with some commendable dedication.  He was chatting with her and asking questions, something I though the other kids should have been doing as well.  One other kid came and sat at the table, eating a big bowl of cereal.  I mentioned that he was going to kill his appetite and his response was that he was 18 and could handle a snack like this before a meal.  Touché!  Since my brownies were still in the oven, I started wiping down the dining table and getting it ready for dinner.  Karen also asked me to drop the corn cobs into the boiling water and periodically watch them as they cooked. 

I chatted with Meredith, who works in ‘Youth In Service’ program of Chicago Cares.  We talked about the program and some of the others.  Karen joined us to promote ‘Hunger Walk’, happening next month and in which I am participating with ‘Breaking Bread Ministries’.  I was periodically checking on the corn as well as the brownies with a fork and it was apparent that they would take some additional time to cook than what was on the box, perhaps owing to the unpredictable temperature inside the oven.  The kitchen also has two big freezers full of chicken nuggets and two big refrigerators full of milk and eggs.  Considering that there are 16 residents in the house, it almost looked like each of them had their own groceries.  I went outside for a brief moment and all the boys were doing their own thing, some listening to music and others chatting.  I felt that some of them could have been inside, participating in the cooking activities.  Having been to ODS, which is a similar shelter, my expectation was that the residents would be engaged and in doing so learn something from the rest of us and our life experiences.  I texted to Wilson about this and said that the impact for this program was minimum without their participation.  

All done
The corn and brownies were finally done and I pulled them out and we took them to the table.  Our duties at that stage were done and it was time to leave. Karen offered to give me a ride to the train station and it gave us a chance to discuss my concerns about the model of this program.  I mentioned that volunteering should not be so that all of us feel good about contributing to the society, but also should be about us making an impact and how can we make an impact if the clients are not involved?  Karen agreed with some of my points and said that while Chicago Cares had suggested some changes to Solid Ground; the organization had pushed back, saying this is what they wanted.  She said that she would communicate my feedback to Chicago Cares and hopefully things will change in the future. 

Later that night, I exchanged more texts with Wilson and he was trying to communicate that the objective of program was for Chicago Cares to go in and take over the cooking responsibilities for one evening so that Solid Ground staff doesn't have to.  So we were serving them, rather than the residents.  I get that point, but why not ‘enhance’ this by adding mentoring.  I mean, we are already here.  Why can’t we get two additional volunteers who can spend time with the youth talking about jobs and careers while the other cook.  Or else get them to participate and teach them self-reliance.  One point I heard is that most of these kids do not have a family, or a mother to cook for them and we are fulfilling that role of treating them to a home cooked meal.  It is an excellent point and a poignant one as well.  But parents don’t just feed the children; they educate and prepare them for the world.  I am sure we could do that as well if given a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment