Super Saturday I: Avon Walk – Opening Ceremony

Location: Soldier Field
Date: Saturday, June 01, 2013; 4:30-8:00 am

I had heard about ‘Avon Walk’ through a buddy who had done this in New York; and when I saw that Chicago was going to have one as well, I wanted to participate as a volunteer.  This walk, to raise money and awareness for breast cancer, is spread over 39 miles and two days.  I had spent an evening at the offices a few months ago, helping out with the preparations, and had then signed-up for multiple shifts, including one at the Opening Ceremony.  I had also signed up for an afternoon shift at the ‘Wellness Village’, which was the place where the walkers would spend the night after 26 miles of walking on Day 1, as well as the Closing Ceremony on Sunday.  However, I cancelled the Sunday shift due to a One Brick project, but was still supposed to do two shifts this Saturday - separated by another One Brick project.  Now that’s what constitutes a ‘Super Saturday’ in my book. 

Soldier Field: Pre-dawn
I have been to Soldier Field several times over the last month, but never had I arrived there at 4:30 am.  Seriously, if I kept this up, I would be in line for a pass to the ‘Bears’ locker room!  It was still dark, but I spotted some activity going on in the field outside the stadium and after a few inquiries, found my way to the volunteer’s tent.  I checked in with our Volunteer coordinator Devon and while I was doing so, noticed a mom who was trying to get her teenage son allocated to traffic control duties.  The organizers were trying to place him elsewhere, but she insisted that he get that job since his heart was set on it and she had specifically asked for that assignment.  I was amused by all of this, but more on him later. 

The barricades around the stage
The first task Devon allocated me was to work with a group to arrange tables on the green.  These were big and heavy and with the help of a buddy, we got a few set up.  Next, she wanted us to carry some tables to the VIP tent, which was in a different field across the road.  It was a bit of commute, but me and my partner grabbed a table and were on our way.  I learned that my new friends name was Augusta and she and I got along quite well.  After a few huffs and puffs we arrived at the VIP tent and set the table.  This was also the area where the stage was for the opening ceremony and they wanted our help in setting up barricades on either side of the stage in long rows.  The idea was to create an area for people to assemble in front of the stage, while trying to maintain some order.  This appeared to be an easy task since the barricades were quite light and all we had to do was stand them up and open the feet.  We soon realized that it wasn’t that easy since it had rained overnight and the grass was wet, along with the barricades and our hands.  This made opening the legs quite a task and Augusta and I were struggled with a few of the barricades.  It was time consuming and tiring, but we managed to put up all the barricades on our side of the field and were ready to move to our next task.

It was around 6 am and people had started arriving for the walk.  The organizers wanted to keep the roads around the stadium clear and that mean traffic control.  Augusta and I were deployed with other volunteers along the road and told to ensure that cars kept moving and were not stopping to let off passengers.  We were to wave them on and tell them to keep going towards the parking lot that was further down the street.  This wasn’t always easy since many cabs were stopping irrespective of our requests.  However these visitors had not counted on the kid whom I had seen in the morning.  His mom had insisted on him getting the traffic duty and now we saw why.  He was as passionate a volunteer as I have ever witnessed and was terrific in conducting his duties.  He was waving the cars like a real traffic cop and was being forceful and decisive in implementing the law.  Whenever people questioned him, he would point to his bright orange traffic vest and wave them on.  Augusta and I both admired his energy and knew that while he was around, most of the drivers would follow the rules. 

The Opening Ceremony was underway
Well, most did, but it became more difficult to regulate as we got closer to the start and the crowd increased.  Plus, many walkers were crossing the road and when cars stopped to let them pass, people took advantage of this to get out.  At the end of the day, everyone was here to support the cause and have fun and while keeping the traffic moving was important, I wasn’t going to fault people for getting off at the crossing.  However, one guy came and parked his car in the middle of the road and when I went over to ask him to move, he pointed towards his press pass.   I failed to see how him having a press pass would make it convenient for other cars to go through, but there was little I could do if he had decided to abuse his press privileges.  During this time I did come across some friendly people, including a lady who asked Augusta and me where the start line was.  I asked around and pointed it out to her and she said that she wanted to be at the head of the line, so that she could be one of the first to arrive at the ‘Wellness Village’ and get a massage!  Considering it was 26 miles, I thought that she could make up for time, but she had done the walk in the past and I wasn’t going to argue against experience. 

The walkers, ready to go
As I looked around, it truly was a festive occasion and many people had come dressed in brilliant shades of pink or with colorful accessories.  We even saw a guy who rode by on a Harley Davidson and who had decorated his bike like a float to honor the cause.  We also had a front row seat to watch the opening ceremony that was getting underway on the stage in front of us.  It started with the Master-Of-Ceremonies leading the participants through warm-up routine and it was wonderful to see all of them follow the stretching exercises in unison.  Then we heard stories from survivors, some of whom had come a long way to walk.  Everyone gave their reasons for walking and just being a part of this moment had made the early morning wake-up call worthwhile.  The final thing on the opening ceremony agenda was an announcement that the event this year had raised $5.2 Million.  With a huge cheer upon hearing this, the walkers set off on their long trail, though I knew that I would see them in a few hours. 

Augusta and I went and helped with some of the wrap-up routine, including storing the tables which we had arranged earlier that morning.  As we walked back to the train station, we got chatting and I found out that she was from Lithuania and was studying for pre-med.  We talked about our respective volunteering experiences, with her having done this event last year as well.  One of the other things I learned about her was her volunteering work with psychiatric patients, where she goes and sings Acapella, as a form of music therapy.   Now, through my volunteering activities I have come across some remarkable people with some fantastic stories.  But this was one of the most ennobling things that I have heard and I instantly felt privileged to have worked with her today.  Before we said goodbye we both agreed that it would be great if we could actually do the walk the following year, especially since there was a discount for volunteers.  It was 8 am and while many were just waking up this Saturday morning, I was off to find a coffee shop to wait for my next project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment