Senior Breakfast Club At Wicker Park

Location: Wicker Park Apartments
Date: Saturday, May 25, 2013; 9:00 am-12:00 pm

It was the long Memorial Day Weekend and I had absolutely no plans of travel or any visitors coming.  Thus I found myself headed to Wicker Park neighborhood this Saturday morning and through some favorable CTA schedules, arrived with a lot of time to spare.  After some coffee from a 7-Eleven, I wished that I had been delayed so that I could have avoided that deplorable drink.  As I came back to the apartments, I saw that the other volunteers had already arrived, including our Volunteer leader Daphne and her daughter.  Besides a couple, the two other volunteers were Ricardo and Rebecca.  Also present was a teenager who had been dropped off by his dad.  Daphne had brought all of the groceries and while a couple of the residents had come to the community room to chat, we still had some time to go before service.
 
The Eggs
The ingredients for the day were eggs, biscuits, bacon, sausages, hash browns and strawberries.  The first order of business was to crack the eggs because, you know, “You can’t make an omelette without cracking the eggs etc. etc.”  There were a lot of eggs, but we cracked them all and Ricardo took over making scrambled eggs.  The sheer volume of eggs and the smaller vessels meant that he would have to do it in multiple batches.  Plus, the cooking area was narrow and so all of us would have to make some adjustments if we were to cook together.  I took the stove-top next to Ricardo and started browning the hash browns.  Also on that crowded cooking top were sausages being steamed and bacon and biscuits in the oven.  If resourcefulness would have been a competition, we would have won the top prize. 

Ricardo seemed to have some skill with the pan and was able to flip the hash browns with a flick of his wrist.  When I complimented him, he mentioned that he was indeed a chef.  I asked what his favorite thing to make was and he mentioned hors d’oeuvres, especially prosciutto wrapped asparagus.  Well, not just a chef, but a gourmet chef!  Besides his skills, Ricardo appeared to be a great guy with a lot of charm, empathy and general zest for life.  He had done some volunteering with One Brick as well and I asked him what had made him take up volunteering.  He said that he had always thought about doing it, but finally decided to “stop talking and just doing it”.  He said that while he liked cooking, he also wanted to develop his office skills.  I asked what he wanted to be doing in 10 years and he replied that he did not want to commit to a plan.  I said that while plans can change every month, there should at least be some idea of the vision. 

And the hash browns
The cooking was proceeding well, albeit in batches and the room was filling up with residents.  We moved the food onto the serving trays and were ready to begin.  As with the other dinner and breakfast projects that I have done, people were required for either serving or running.  The kid who had been dropped by his dad, was very keen on running.  He said that it was like playing soccer; though I hope with less sliding and tackling!  I ran for a bit, but there were more than enough people doing it, and so went over to help Roberto clean dishes.  I scrubbed while he rinsed and dried, much like my job at the other breakfast club project.  It gave us more time to chat and I asked him about his knife skills.  He said that he was learning and getting there.  He saw me take pictures and asked if I was tweeting in real time.  I said I do a blog about all of my volunteer experiences and he said that he prefers to stay behind the scenes.  I said that was good, but the purpose of my blog was more to make people aware of what’s out there and if possible, get them enthused. 


The Worlds Greatest Hot Chocolate
While we had been cleaning, the residents had finished eating and that could only mean one thing – Bingo!  As with many places, you could only win once until the final coverall game.  One of the other volunteers, Rebecca had a lot of energy and was floating from table to table conversing with the residents and cheering them on.  She was taking pictures of the volunteers and asked if she could photograph me.  I said sure, though she mentioned that she would get me when I least expected, which I am sure she did.  I walked about a bit, but everyone seemed like they were focused on the game and so I stood by the side and watched.  Soon we were out of prizes and we had finished this session in record time.  As we left, I asked Roberto about his next project and he said that we would definitely cross paths sometime in the future.  He was headed to a cookout and I was on my way to get the world’s greatest hot chocolate.  It was a long weekend for sure, but this morning’s activity had gone by in a blur.  And we had used every component of the cooking stove at the same time.  How’s that for multitasking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment