Serve-A-Thon Fundraiser

Location: Revolution Brewery
Date: Monday, May 20, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm

Primary Volunteer Leaders play a critical role at Serve-a-thon, managing a team of Volunteer Leaders at schools, parks, and agencies who in turn oversee groups of volunteers ranging from 30 up to 250 people.  Fostering teamwork, ensuring a successful project and managing supplies are only a few of their responsibilities.  So why become a Primary Leader? We asked a new member of the Serve-a-thon leader team for his story!  Ritesh Tipnis became a Chicago Cares Volunteer Leader this past January, after clocking in more than 150 hours at our volunteer events.  This will be his first year serving as a Primary Leader for Serve-a-thon, where he will be managing a team of three leaders and 40 volunteers at Mary Hartwell Apartments on Saturday, June 15.

Thus began the introduction to my interview that was published on the Chicago Cares website.  My involvement with Serve-A-Thon started when Rich, from Chicago Cares, recommended me as a Primary Leader.  What followed was me accepting, followed by Chicago Cares not being sure if there was a site for me, to me finally getting Mary Hartwell Apartments as a site.  I had already started recruiting for my team and with a month to go, Rich asked me if I would interview for the Chicago Cares blog, something for which I immediately said yes. 

Ritesh, how long have you been involved with Chicago Cares? What was your first experience as a volunteer?

I have been volunteering with Chicago Cares since September 2012. The very first project that I attended was ‘What’s The Word’ at Lakeview Nursing & Rehabilitation Center. I can still recall how apprehensive I was that evening, as I first walked in, not sure if I would be up to the task. But as the evening progressed, I realized that it was one of the most enjoyable things I had done since moving to Chicago. I owe that to the Chicago Cares Volunteer Leader and the residents who participate in this activity. They welcomed me in their circle and made sure I was involved. I have served more than 150 hours with Chicago Cares since then, but it remains one of my favorite programs and I suspect it always will.

Chicago Cares Cookie
In order to raise money for Serve-A-Thon, Chicago Cares had organized a fund raiser at Revolution Breweries and I had purchased a ticket for that.  I arrived there to find some familiar faces from Chicago Cares staff as well as volunteers.  I found Wendy and we chatted about projects and she went around introducing me to other staff members as well as her husband who was in attendance.  I also saw Pete, with whom I had done projects at Henderson Elementary and who was also going to be a Volunteer Leader at Serve-A-Thon.

Moving from the role of a Volunteer to a Volunteer Leader represents a change; what was the transition like for you?

Seamless. I have been fortunate to serve alongside some outstanding Leaders who not only make the project enjoyable for the clients, but also for the volunteers. At the same time, they educate the volunteers about the need and the clients. I have learned a lot by just observing and my respect for them keeps growing.  When I see someone like Leader Wilson Chow do what he does, it not only inspires, but energizes me. I have tried to use all of this knowledge to function as a better Leader.  I have always believed that one does not have to hold a title to be a Leader. Anyone can lead and everyone should. Leadership is by example, and in all of my projects, I have tried to ensure that the clients as well as my fellow volunteers have fun. It is a similar philosophy to when you actually carry the title of a Volunteer Leader.

Amidst the food beer and socializing, one of the main goals of the evening was communicating to everyone present was Serve-A-Thon was all about.  It was re-emphasized to us how it is the largest single day of community service in Chicago and thousands of volunteers come together to transform the city and its neighborhoods.  As a Volunteer Leader, it was a huge responsibility to ensure that all activities were being done in a timely fashion and everyone, the community being served, as well as the corporate volunteers, were being treated with respect.  As Primary Leader, these responsibilities were even more magnified for me. 

What are some of the most challenging aspects of being a leader?

As a Leader you are representing the clients, the fellow volunteers, and also Chicago Cares. It is a huge responsibility to ensure that you succeed on each front.

Besides the entry fee, there were a couple of other ways through which Chicago Cares was trying to raise money this evening.  One was through sale of cookies shaped like the hearts of Chicago Cares and the other was by charging people to participate in a game to guess how many gallons of paint would be used at Serve-A-Thon this year. And while I did both, I failed miserably at one of these. 

So, do you think you will be able to apply your Chicago Cares leadership experience to other aspects of your life?

Why just leadership? I know that I am applying my Chicago Cares volunteering experience in other aspects of my life. Even though it may sound cliché, this experience has made me a better person. It has enhanced my sense of empathy, patience, and understanding. It has enabled me to explore skills I never knew I had. It has filled my life with wonder and truly made me believe in miracles. But most importantly, it has shown me how precious life is, not just your own, but others as well.

I saw Rich and thanked him for the opportunity to not only lead, but also for selecting me as an interview subject.  He teased me for not being punctual with my blogs, which is probably justified considering I am more than a month and a half behind.  But he also was quick to commend me in front of everyone for being an active supporter of Chicago Cares. 

What advice or tips would you give to someone who is considering being a Chicago Cares Volunteer Leader?

I would start by reminding them that just as volunteering is not an obligation; it is also not a right. It is a privilege. No matter how many projects they may end up leading during their time with Chicago Cares, they should never lose sight of this fact. Our clients trust us and we owe it to them to give them and the project our 100 percent. A Leader has to not only ensure that for themselves, but also for the team of volunteers. The best way to do that is leading by example.

I took a cab home and chatted with the driver, who was an immigrant - as are most cab drivers in Chicago.  I asked if he had family overseas and he said yes.  I asked when was the last time he had visited them and he couldn't even remember.  I said that it must be tough for them with him not being able to visit and he said, “At least I am able to send money home.  That’s all that matters”.  On June 15th thousands of volunteers will be all over the city, helping make a difference.  But there's still some time before that.  There is still time to show the people that someone still cares. While one day celebration of service is a great way to promote the cause, making a difference is a full time job.  And while everyone will be going the extra mile for someone; I will be doing so for people like this cab driver who deserves more from life than just an acknowledgement of a paycheck. 

What are you excited about for Serve-a-thon this year?

I am excited for the project I am doing tonight; Serve-a-thon is still weeks away! But jokes aside, Serve-a-thon is our flagship event and to be a part of it is one of the highlights of my year. June 15 can’t come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment